New Dometic 2 Burner Stove help? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
New Dometic 2 Burner Stove help?

Hi all

We received our new 21NE last week (shipped to and picked up in KC). An exciting day.

We’ve been testing things out and fitting things out for a Colorado trip next weekend. We’re also camping out near our house this weekend as a bit of a test trip. Overall, all going well except for our 2 burner stove. Doesn’t light - either with an external flame or onboard ignition. Water heater, heater, refrigerator, all work with propane as the only source.

Escape’s response was sorry- please see an authorised Dometic dealer , it should be working.

Any insight from you all?

Thanks heaps
Regards
Dave
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
No insight but a question: Did you happen to ask ETI if the stove was tested and known to be working when it left their factory?

Just curious and wishing you good luck finding a resolution.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Is it the Dometic D21-SEC? When you turn the knob for one burner counter-clockwise to “LITE” do you hear and/or smell any gas?
Old 09-11-2021, 07:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
In case you didn't get a manual for the cooktop you can download one here: https://epi.dometic.com/externalasse...7581_71289.pdf

You should be able to at least check visually underneath and see that the propane line is hooked up. Assuming that's the case, if you are not getting any propane hiss or smell when you turn on the burners then there's probably something wrong with the control valve.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
You should be able to at least check visually underneath and see that the propane line is hooked up. Assuming that's the case, if you are not getting any propane hiss or smell when you turn on the burners then there's probably something wrong with the control valve.
In a similar vein, I wonder if you need to bleed the air out of that line. Leave the valve open just until you smell gas. I would be understandably nervous waiting and waiting with the gas on but the other appliances with their autostarts have more patience…
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:41 AM   #6

Thanks all. I’ve checked underneath and things are connected. No hiss or smell of gas when the knobs are turned on. So must be a blockage or control valve issue I guess as well. I’ll look at that a bit more
Old 09-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
Hi all

We received our new 21NE last week (shipped to and picked up in KC). An exciting day.

We’ve been testing things out and fitting things out for a Colorado trip next weekend. We’re also camping out near our house this weekend as a bit of a test trip. Overall, all going well except for our 2 burner stove. Doesn’t light - either with an external flame or onboard ignition. Water heater, heater, refrigerator, all work with propane as the only source.

Escape’s response was sorry- please see an authorised Dometic dealer , it should be working.

Any insight from you all?

Thanks heaps
Regards
Dave
What is your elevation?

There are both reports of failure to light at elevation above 4,000 feet as well as Dometic confirmation of the elevation limit. In the real world, some will handle elevation and others will not. Go figure.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #8

Hi. We are in the KC area at the moment. So no elevation concerns really. We do plan on being at Mueller State Park in CO next weekend for a week though. Hoping to sort things out before then
Old 09-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #9
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
If lines are hooked up, is it possible that there is a shut off valve?
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Would love to hear a follow up on this. We are awaiting the build on our 17B and the Dometic 2-burner cooktop still causes me some concern. We just did a camping trip with friends that had a brand new Tab trailer with a Dometic 2-burner cooktop. We were at 4200 feet above sea level and it would not light. Worked fine at home which was at sea level. In their case, could not hear or smell gas coming out at the burner. Tried turning gas tank on slowly as some have suggested, but nothing. Cooktop worked fine when they returned home.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Would love to hear a follow up on this. We are awaiting the build on our 17B and the Dometic 2-burner cooktop still causes me some concern. We just did a camping trip with friends that had a brand new Tab trailer with a Dometic 2-burner cooktop. We were at 4200 feet above sea level and it would not light. Worked fine at home which was at sea level. In their case, could not hear or smell gas coming out at the burner. Tried turning gas tank on slowly as some have suggested, but nothing. Cooktop worked fine when they returned home.
Hi Ian

No resolution on my end yet - ended up getting a 2 burner Coleman stove to get by in the short term along with our Weber 1200. I'm in KC currently, so no altitude issues. Have also attempted the slow opening of valves and worked to bleed the lines - up to 7/8 minutes with no gas flow - not sure if its worthwhile to leave longer. As stated before, all other gas appliances are working fine. Dustin @ Escape assures me that all were working prior to shipment. So, I still need to call a Dometic service center. I'll let you all know what I find
Old 11-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #12

Resolved

Hi all,
thought I'd follow up and state that the stove issue did resolve itself. Not sure if it was just using propane through out the trailer over a period of time (fridge, heater, water heater, etc), but the stove magically started working when I attempted to light it again this weekend. Cooked breakfast on it on a cold, windy morning while boondocking in Nebraska. Works great now - I was quite happy to see it working as trying to get time in a Dometic service center was proving challenging!

Cheers
Dave
Old 11-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #13

But how high above sea level were you? It's my understanding the stove's problems are elevation related.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #14

Hi Ian. When the issues started, we were in Kansas City (900 Ft above sea level). So not elevation related. I reckon it was just air or some other particle in the line that finally worked itself out.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The three good outcomes from this are that your stove is working now. You have a new portable stove that you can use some distance from the camper especially in hot weather if you don’t want the heat in the camper and finally you’re now an experienced poster a s no longer a rookie. Hoping your Escape continues to work well and you enjoy your trips with it.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #16

And yes, thanks for posting your followup. Glad it worked out for you.

Ian
Old 08-02-2023, 09:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
My Dometic D21 Stove Failure Story... & Fix + Furnace

Worked Tuesday morning in NE, failed Wednesday morning at Rocky Mountain Rendezvous in Camp Hale. Also discovered furnace not working, but water heater worked fine. Refilled propane tanks, tried various turn on/off methods, connecting disconnecting, etc. No one else had issues. I suspect none of them had the Dometic D21 as they were built year or more before mine (May 2022). Maybe different furnace too? (mine also Dometic). Suspected altitude issue, but failure remained even after returning home to Iowa (~625' altitude). Disconnected hoses and blew air thru to verify flow, no clog. NO FIX. Decided to check inside stove LP entry, looked clean, then took apart R60 regulator, examined diaphragm, spring & actuator arm, all clean. This apparently caused the 'reset' it needed and then it worked yesterday finally! THEN I read many of the posts including suggesting tapping on regulator to reset. Approaching the furnace this was only viable solution due to it being hard to get to. Easy enough to open the back on outside (available to me due to 2022 build) and tapped on the regulator housing with screwdriver. This fixed the furnace! Wish I had known this in the mountains, few cold nites there and shortened our trip... although may have recurred due to altitude. Will follow Dave's (best) suggestion to carry manometer and adjust for this in the future at the regulator on tanks. SUBURBAN water heater worked throughout, too. Other option would be to replace Dometic appliances I guess....
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander

Sorry to hear you had a problem. If you’re going to be out and about with the trailer we could stop by if we’re in the area and check your pressure and also note the “clock face” orientation of the adjusting screw at different pressures. I’ve done this a few times for folks who regularly camp at high and low altitudes.

On another front. It will soon be time to lay down some new crop grass seed if your yard still needs attention. D and K products off of north center point road on Kettelsen drive has a good selection of shady mixes with fine blade fescues and some other more shade tolerant blues and perennial ryes.
They have starter fertilizer too. About 50 lbs for 12,500 square feet or 3 1/2 bags per acre along with “keep the seed damp” watering during germination and grow in should do the trick.

Are you going to be at the Mississippi River Rendezvous? I’ll have the Manometer along there too.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp@Home View Post
Worked Tuesday morning in NE, failed Wednesday morning at Rocky Mountain Rendezvous in Camp Hale. Also discovered furnace not working, but water heater worked fine. Refilled propane tanks, tried various turn on/off methods, connecting disconnecting, etc. No one else had issues. I suspect none of them had the Dometic D21 as they were built year or more before mine (May 2022). Maybe different furnace too? (mine also Dometic). Suspected altitude issue, but failure remained even after returning home to Iowa (~625' altitude). Disconnected hoses and blew air thru to verify flow, no clog. NO FIX. Decided to check inside stove LP entry, looked clean, then took apart R60 regulator, examined diaphragm, spring & actuator arm, all clean. This apparently caused the 'reset' it needed and then it worked yesterday finally! THEN I read many of the posts including suggesting tapping on regulator to reset. Approaching the furnace this was only viable solution due to it being hard to get to. Easy enough to open the back on outside (available to me due to 2022 build) and tapped on the regulator housing with screwdriver. This fixed the furnace! Wish I had known this in the mountains, few cold nites there and shortened our trip... although may have recurred due to altitude. Will follow Dave's (best) suggestion to carry manometer and adjust for this in the future at the regulator on tanks. SUBURBAN water heater worked throughout, too. Other option would be to replace Dometic appliances I guess....
We also were at Camp Hale the same time you were and we also have the Dometic stovetop but it worked flawlessly as did our Dometic furnace. After Camp Hale we traveled to Cumbres Pass at 10022 feet and camped there two nights. Both appliances worked flawlessly there too. Our 21C is a January 2020 model which originally had the SDS2 but I retrofitted it with the D21 myself. I have never had to tap on the regular but have had to do so on the fridge gas plumbing at the valve. Sorry you had the trouble and wish I had known this. I would have been happy to lend a brain cell or two to your problems at Camp Hale.
John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Thanks Dave. I've already ordered manometer, should have this week. Seems like pressure settings have been issue for many, especially with altitude changes of course. Will be interesting to see what mine is as I've found many reports that they have varied from factory. Was obviously too high at Camp Hale! Also need to get more practiced at opening valves VERY slowly on setup....

As for the seed, we have been successfully patching a number of small spots with shade mix from Frontier. The back yard area is just too large for us at this time so hired someone to fill and plant end of August.

We WILL be at Mississippi Rendezvous, look forward to seeing you & Rita & Jake again. Been looking for costumes for the Boxers! :-)
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote