New Fridge Topic: A Different Approach - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #61

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Please start a new thread and keep us updated via it. I am very interested in doing something similar with my 6.7.
I will start a new thread when I get started and will document the project in detail with pictures.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I will start a new thread when I get started and will document the project in detail with pictures.
Yeah I spoke to Nova Kool some months ago and "suggested" they contact ETI regarding using the compressor fridge as an option. Don't know what came of it, but it makes sense if you have the solar. Very high efficiency and low amperage draw, plus, they're right down the road in east Vancouver.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #63

Trailer: 19'
yes, depending on how the Dometic solution works out, I have considered adding a 2nd solar panel for the Nova Kool. Wonder if I would be happy with not adding 2 more 6v batteries.....
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
yes, depending on how the Dometic solution works out, I have considered adding a 2nd solar panel for the Nova Kool. Wonder if I would be happy with not adding 2 more 6v batteries.....
I think a pair of 6 volt batteries is sufficient. They say that these units run about 50% duty cycle once cooled, even in hot temperatures. The unit I mentioned draws 5.2 amps while running so 50% duty cycle works out to about 62 amps per day. During the day the unit will draw the most power when it is hot and the sun is providing the most power to the panel(s). Over night, when it is cooler the duty cycle should go down while the draw is completely from the batteries and I believe they will perform just fine.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #65

Trailer: 19'
Thank you.

Another issue for consideration is the lower sunlight in the non summer months up here in the PNW. Supposing the equivalent of 3-4 hours sun per day, times 18.28 amps with 2 solar panels, makes it a little tighter...............but probably still ok because fall/winter trips will be of shorter duration.........
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Thank you.

Another issue for consideration is the lower sunlight in the non summer months up here in the PNW. Supposing the equivalent of 3-4 hours sun per day, times 18.28 amps with 2 solar panels, makes it a little tighter...............but probably still ok because fall/winter trips will be of shorter duration.........
I'm also thinking there is some correlation between the need for power and the amount of available sunlight.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #67

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I'm seriously looking at the Nova Kool RFU6800 as a replacement for my Dometic 4.3 that has always had marginal cooling performance. The RFU6800 is a 12 volt, 6.8 cuft, 2 door unit (refer on top and freezer on the bottom) with a Danfoss compressor that will fit in the space I currently have my 4.3 and microwave. I have plenty of battery and solar charging capacity to run this unit off the grid, boondocking, even on grey days. Removal of the old unit and installation of the new one will be pretty simple. I also plan to well-insulate the vented area in the back. I like the larger refrigerator with the separate 2.5 cuft freezer door on the bottom for good efficiency. Right now I'm getting quotes; looking for best price and availability. Hopefully this will become reality before Christmas.
Okay. If the compressor refers are so much better, why aren't they used instead of the Dometics?

Is there a cost issue? Will the Nova Kool fit through the door? Is there a downside to compressor units that would explain why they are not the standard?
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #68

Trailer: 2014 19'
FYI - resent my email to Dometic regarding purchasing a T class RML 8555 and received this back:

Hello Mel,
------------
My apologies that this has taken so long to get back to you on, but we've had to pull in quite a few people in other departments to help me find an answer for you. We are still currently working on it and will very soon hopefully have an answer for you.

Sincerely,
Nikki Clemans
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
After spending a few days in the 21, I am truly disappointed in our fridge performance. The highs each day have been in the high 60's or very low 70s. We have had to keep the fridge on '5' to keep the temps in the acceptable range (below 40 in the main compartment). Given the discussion on the forum, I expected marginal performance, but even so, I am surprised. i guess I had expected we do keep the temps acceptable with the fridge on "4". We will see how the towing goes today.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #70

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This topic is about an approach to resolving issues specifically with the 8XXX series from Dometic. Compressor-based refrigerators are a valid alternative, but I think their use is a separate subject.
I have responded to the specific question raised about the absorption/compressor choice in the recent AC/DC Refrigerators, in post #35 of that thread.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Thanks, Brian.

So all those who have recently joined the discussion.....how many of you have contacted Dometic to express your concerns, whether you own one of these fridges or whether you may have one on order in a future Escape? Phone numbers are available in the original post.

Thanks for getting back to us Mel. If they had to draw in several people to answer your questions, you're getting some attention at least.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletracker View Post
Okay. If the compressor refers are so much better, why aren't they used instead of the Dometics?

Is there a cost issue? Will the Nova Kool fit through the door? Is there a downside to compressor units that would explain why they are not the standard?
The problem with the compressor refrigerators is the dependence on electricity. If you dry camp for any length of time with low angle winter sun & cloudy conditions, the amount of battery capacity necessary to see you through the lack of solar recharging can be significant. Most of the users of compressor refrigerators end up doubling the battery & solar panels they need to operate the rest of their RV, or rely on a generator to recharge the batteries. If the 62 amp hours per day quote from hotfishtacos is accurate, that would be quite a load on even a couple of panels & the standard battery supplied by Escape. Even a pair of 6 volt batteries would be hard pressed to provide more than a couple of days without significant sun. I have seen lower figures for some compressor refrigerators that would be more realistic.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but a propane powered refrigerator does have the advantage that it can operate for weeks or even a month on a tank of propane. Of course, it they can't get cool enough such as the new Dometics, that is another problem.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #73

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
So just a word from the original poster.....this is all great information, which I hope will be of value when you call Dometic to express your concerns. For all those who are experiencing difficulty with these fridges, I hope you will call. And for all those contemplating one of these fridges in a future build, why not call Dometic to express your concern and ask them what they are doing to address these problems? We've been extremely fortunate to have Reace, as a manufacture, to lead the charge on this, but there is also power in numbers from consumers and potential consumers. Thank you for considering this approach.
Well I had a few minutes and called Dometic and indicated that I was having a trailer built and understood there was a problem with their model RML 8555. After back and forth with a supervisor I was told "in a hot area such as Arizona or Texas you need to go with a bigger fridge".

Needless to say I am not impressed with Dometic.

Doug
Old 09-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good grief!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #75
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Well I had a few minutes and called Dometic and indicated that I was having a trailer built and understood there was a problem with their model RML 8555. After back and forth with a supervisor I was told "in a hot area such as Arizona or Texas you need to go with a bigger fridge".

Doug
Yes, I ran into the same ignorance several times. The size of the fridge makes no difference. It's frustrating when they don't even know how their products work.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post

Doug
That doesn't even make sense. I have a call into them now (my second) waiting for a return call or email from them. I'll mention your result when I hear from them or call next....
Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, that is so wrong. You obviously were talking to some clerical person, and not a real tech, well educated in their systems. Heck, I don'at have one of these fridges, but I am tempted to call and raise hell with them, so maybe somehow, someone there would clue in that this issue needs to be addressed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #78

Please do!

It would have been interesting to ask the Dometic person exactly which model he/she would recommend for Texas.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #79

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Just out of curiosity (as I don't have a problem with my little refer), I Googled the subject matter and up popped a few European forums where RVers were complaining of the same, same problems with Dometic and other brands when traveling to Spain and other warmer climes. So I doesn't appear that the issue is resolved over there either, even with their different refer classes.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #80

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It sounds like Dometic is one of those companies that puts a "shield" person between the public & their engineers. I suppose it is useful to avoid wasting time, but I often wonder what effect the tactic has on customer relations. It always makes me furious to know the answer to a question is probably sitting at a desk a few feet away from the person on the phone.