New Mac. One less reason for an inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
New Mac. One less reason for an inverter

The new Macbook Air that Apple just announced now has a separate power brick and cord. The brick's output is 30 watt USB-C. Now all you need is a 12 volt adapter with
at least 30w USB-C output and you can skip the inverter and brick. Something like this.

Voila! No more DC -> AC -> DC.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a 12V charging cord for my 2012 MacBook Air. Wasn't cheap, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Mac Air 12V.jpg  
Old 10-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Do they call that adapter an Airdo?
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 replaced Casita
I also have 12V adapters for our 2015 macboook pro and chromebook. The TV is 12 V. The wifi amp is 12 V. The phones use the trailer's usb ports. Vacuum cleaner runs on drill battery. Only thing left to run off 120V is the coffee grinder. I have a 200 watt inverter for it.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Nice. I have a 12V adapter to charge an older Macbook Pro, but it's total junk. If I'm actually using it heavily, like gaming, it can't keep up and gets ominously hot. The whole adapter's built into the plug and hanging off, so it tends to pull itself loose as well. Being able to use standard-ish USB-C PD means it should be easier to find something decent-quality.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Wow. With a MagSafe connector and everything.

Another benefit of the two piece system is that the wires inevitably fail at one of the ends. Now I don’t have to buy a whole new charger. Just a new cable.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I have a 12V charger for my Mac laptop as well. I don't quite trust it, though-- it runs really hot when charging so I don't leave the laptop plugged into it when I'm asleep or not in the trailer. I wonder why Apple never made 12V chargers for their laptops.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I wonder why Apple never made 12V chargers for their laptops.
Few if any computer manufacturers make 12 V DC input power supplies for their laptops - they're usually aftermarket accessories. I don't know why.

Apple did have a 12 V power cord for some earlier laptops, but they were just cords with connectors - those laptops were expected to run on the 12 volts or so that they would get from a car (or aircraft power-at-the-seat), and they sort of barely did.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This thread reminds me that if I decide to replace this six-year-old Mac Air, i should pay attention to compatibility with accessories ( like a charger ) that I already have. I'm not expecting to win.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
This thread reminds me that if I decide to replace this six-year-old Mac Air, i should pay attention to compatibility with accessories ( like a charger ) that I already have. I'm not expecting to win.
Good - keep your expectations low, and budget either to buy all-new everything, or to use a bunch of adapters.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Apple is big on planned obsolescence.....very similar to the automotive industry.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Few if any computer manufacturers make 12 V DC input power supplies for their laptops - they're usually aftermarket accessories. I don't know why.
IBM (now Lenovo), HP, etc. made 12V power supplies for their laptops. You can still find them. Apple didn't, forcing their users to rely on sketchy third-party 12V power supplies.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I don't believe they make them any more, this Lind 12V power supply for the Mac is well made, and only gets warm when my MacBookPro goes into overdrive (running the high power video card). If you can find one used, I recommend it. Comes with the older Mag connector, but Apple had an inexpensive adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0128.jpg   IMG_0129.jpg  
Old 11-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb1947 View Post
I also have 12V adapters for our 2015 macboook pro and chromebook. The TV is 12 V. The wifi amp is 12 V. The phones use the trailer's usb ports. Vacuum cleaner runs on drill battery. Only thing left to run off 120V is the coffee grinder. I have a 200 watt inverter for it.
Like you we had it narrowed down to the Coffee Grinder. After researching, I purchased a manual LIDO 3 Coffee Grinder @ $195-USD. At 3 lbs, dual bearings & Swiss Conical Burs it makes quick work of whole beans. Plus the handle folds & has a neopreme carry case with included tools. I rate this Grinder 5 Stars.
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Donath View Post
Like you we had it narrowed down to the Coffee Grinder. After researching, I purchased a manual LIDO 3 Coffee Grinder @ $195-USD. At 3 lbs, dual bearings & Swiss Conical Burs it makes quick work of whole beans. Plus the handle folds & has a neopreme carry case with included tools. I rate this Grinder 5 Stars.
That’s a really nice manual grinder, but it’s almost the same price as getting the dual 6v battery upgrade. . You take your coffee seriously.

That being said, it would take up a lot less cupboard space than an electric grinder.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Donath View Post
I bought one when they came out a few years ago and have touted it's merits here since. It is one of those quality built devices you take pride in owning. When making coffee for a group I have no problems getting folks to grind as it is actually enjoyable to use, it is so much easier than my last manual grinder, a Porlex.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:02 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I bought one when they came out a few years ago and have touted it's merits here since. It is one of those quality built devices you take pride in owning. When making coffee for a group I have no problems getting folks to grind as it is actually enjoyable to use, it is so much easier than my last manual grinder, a Porlex.
Agreed, goes well with our Escapes.
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Apple is big on planned obsolescence.....very similar to the automotive industry.
Yup, and my iPhone SE that fits in a pocket and doesn’t look like an iPad on the side of my head when making calls is a good example.....perfect size and performance, but no longer supported by Apple.....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #19

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Yup, and my iPhone SE that fits in a pocket and doesn’t look like an iPad on the side of my head when making calls is a good example.....perfect size and performance, but no longer supported by Apple.....
I agree with your comment re iPhone SE size, however I do not agree that the SE model is no longer supported by Apple, please explain how your SE is not supported by Apple.
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We still have three SE iPhones and Apple still supports them with the latest updates and recently with battery swaps under their settlement. They are supposed to release a small lower price SE type model this spring, if not we won’t be going to stay with iPhones, just too big.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote