New to trailers what’s your best advice - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #61

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Depends on you. Bake a ton at home, don't bake in the trailer. Use a dutch oven in camp a lot. Micro is helpful for us, but not essential. We carry a portable to keep from losing more cabinet. We will get an oven in the Escape since it's that or the two burner cooktop, and we don't want that model due to features / quality issues. Escape used to be more flexible on cook choices, but given their current demand, they are only doing factory options for cook appliances. IF we got a 21, we would probably give up a cabinet to a micro, but not in the the 19 we are purchasing. Your needs may be very different.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Could you elaborate on the problems of running the fridge on 12v while driving-also do you know if this would apply to the compressor fridge.
I’m planning on powering it with the two solar panels and at least two lithium batteries.
basic problem with an absorption fridge on DC while driving, the tow vehicle wiring will likely have sufficient voltage drop at the 12 or so amps the fridge draws such that the fridge will be drawing down the trailer batteries. first time we tried it with the Casita towed by our Tacoma, at the first gas stop 2 hours into the trip, I checked the system voltage in the trailer and the trailer battery was already 50% discharged, with a trailer voltage around 12.0V... the truck battery/alternator voltage was still 13.8V or whatever. switched the fridge to propane, never used DC again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loessn@comcast.net View Post
We are still compiling our list of options and having an oven is questionable. Wow much if any does everyone use theirs? The microwave would appear to suffice if we have a good grill.
We hardly ever use the microwave, and use the oven a LOT to bake premade/frozen casseroles and such, make toasted sandwiches, etc.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by loessn@comcast.net View Post
We are still compiling our list of options and having an oven is questionable. Wow much if any does everyone use theirs? The microwave would appear to suffice if we have a good grill.
As Randy or Barb noted, it depends. I sold a perfectly good (and heavily modified for my 3-4 month dry camping stays) Escape 17B and purchased an Escape 21C just so I could have an oven. I like to bake, and while there are outdoor solutions, having an oven in the trailer was, for me, a great improvement. If you are going to use it as a storage space for pots & pans, not so necessary...
Old 02-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #64
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
For us an oven is a must. Use it on every trip! A non-glazed ceramic pizza stone disperses the heat well for even baking. From other threads, I think the newer oven model looks nice but is 2" less in height? If so, I would prefer our current model for the additional interior height. Works great. -Bea
Bea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #65

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I would have liked to have a oven. We did not get it on the 19' as we felt it took up to much space.I think on a bigger trailer I would gotten a oven. We don't use a microwave at all.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #66

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Another voice chiming in to say get the oven. We traded our 17B to the 19 because we could get an oven. Not being dependent on electrical power to cook and bake is wonderful! And there is nothing better than homemade cookies or warmed up cinnamon buns on a chilly evening far from people and electricity
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My first Escape had an oven and it was never used. The new owners still have not used it. With most of the cooking being outdoors in summer or in crock pots in winter, too many other ways to cook......
Old 02-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #68

Trailer: "The Roadrunner" 2021 Escape 5.0
My oven question.

Thanks for all of the input, glad I still have a few months to think about the oven.