New to trailers what’s your best advice - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Random large fifth-wheel trailers do often have about 25% of their weight on the pin, but not Escape 5.0's, due to different proportions and other design features. In previous discussions about 16% has turned out to be typical for the 5.0 (a.k.a. 5.0TA); 25% of the typical loaded weight of a recent 5.0 would be far more than desirable.
This 16% agrees with the Escape 5.0 specification (https://escapetrailer.com/comparison-chart/) of pin weight of 646lb for a dry weight of 3910lb. 16% of the GVWR of 5500lb is 880lb. This is very relevant for those with tow vehicles with constrained payload, but enough towing capacity.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Our first Escape

We are in the process of ordering our 21NE for delivery in June, Can anyone offer some info about the radio choice if we would like to softly listen to downloaded playlists at camp? The discussions on the media forum here was more than a few years old and technology has changed since then, Many thanks!
Idahojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahojj View Post
We are in the process of ordering our 21NE for delivery in June, Can anyone offer some info about the radio choice if we would like to softly listen to downloaded playlists at camp? The discussions on the media forum here was more than a few years old and technology has changed since then, Many thanks!
what sort of device are your downloaded playlists stored on? Me, I use my phone (or tablet) and Spotify (or Pandora or mp3 files or....), and I bluetooth stream to a JBL Charge4 speaker. if you don't want/need 'loud', the smaller JBL Flip 4 or 5 sounds very nice too, without quite as much bass or volume.

nice thing about these JBLs, they are completely waterproof, so if you leave it outside and it rains, no biggy. in fact they claim they can survive be dropped into a swimming pool, hah hah. they use USB charging and can play for like 20 hours on a single charge.

in general, nice thing about a portable BT speaker, you can put it anywhere you like, on the dinette table, on an outside picnic table, etc.

if you're really set on a built in stereo, then I'd get a Pioneer or similar single DIN car stereo, either with or without CD player as you see fit, with bluetooth and USB... If you like loading mp3 playlists onto a USB stick, these will play those just fine. Use a pair of 5.25" car/marine speakers mounted on either side of the overhead cabinet at whichever end of the trailer you prefer (or heck, use FOUR 5.25" speakers, 2 at each end... all car stereos will drive 4 at a time, and you can use the fader to select front, rear, or both). most all such car stereos come with a remote control.

if you do use a car stereo, I would recommend putting a toggle switch in series with the red wire, the yellow wire is always-powered. I found the hard way if you don't switch the red wire off, the stereo can draw a fair bit of power even when not in use, and can run your battery down in a few days.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Hello John, How nice of you to write such a detailed reply, I am grateful. Does your JBL speaker need WiFi to play the music on your phone, I would think yes. I love my Spotify music but playing it through anything but the phone or tablet which isn’t; great sound needs WiFi / Bluetooth, I like your idea of separate speakers! I used to have a pair of those at work, great idea! Many thanks again! Idaho Jo Jo
Idahojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahojj View Post
Hello John, How nice of you to write such a detailed reply, I am grateful. Does your JBL speaker need WiFi to play the music on your phone, I would think yes. I love my Spotify music but playing it through anything but the phone or tablet which isn’t; great sound needs WiFi / Bluetooth, I like your idea of separate speakers! I used to have a pair of those at work, great idea! Many thanks again! Idaho Jo Jo
no wifi required. Bluetooth is an entirely separate protocol for very-local (maybe up to 50 feet?) wireless point to point, usually used for streaming audio, and voice telephony, but it can also be used for keyboards and mice and other such things.

now, Spotify and Pandora are internet services and require an internet connection to stream stuff, this can be cellular data or wifi.... I use Spotify and it lets me select whole albums or playlists to download when you do have internet, then keeps these albums or playlists cached on the phone for a few months so it can be used in offline mode. I don't think you can do this with Pandora.

btw, those JBL speakers also have a headphone input jack so you can connect them to wired audio sources like a laptop's headphone jack, I use this when I'm watching a video on my laptop in the trailer, as the bluetooth audio can lag by just enough to be somewhat annoying during dialog (lips move, sound is 1/2 second out of sync, bothers me).
Old 02-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A somewhat better bluetooth speaker is made by Ultimate Ears. I have UE and I have JBL. ( Kids need to give me something for Xmas ). Worth comparing specs and price.
I found I couldn't use both speakers at the same time.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #27
Site Team

the JBL Charge series, and I think the Flip series CAN be wirelessly linked so you can use 2 or more at once. 2 gives you stereo, 3+ just gives you more mono, perhaps good for a pool party or something where you want to distribute the music
Old 02-06-2021, 06:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the JBL Charge series, and I think the Flip series CAN be wirelessly linked

Are Charge and Flip both by JBL?
I have UE Boom ( I think ).
Old 02-06-2021, 07:07 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Are Charge and Flip both by JBL?
I have UE Boom ( I think ).
yes, those are both JBL, and the linkage technology is proprietary to JBL.

heh, one cool feature of the JBLs, not only do they come in a bajillion colors, if you order them direct, for an extra cost you can do your own custom artwork that will be screened onto the speaker.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
The "hand at the bottom of the steering wheel" method has never worked for me. My mind works differently, I guess. I put my hand at the top and think, "turn towards the side that is getting out of line", knowing that it will make the rear of the trailer straighten out.

Ask a professional driver and he will tell you that that is the correct way to do it. Once you get the knack it really is the best.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
The "hand at the bottom of the steering wheel" method has never worked for me. My mind works differently, I guess. I put my hand at the top and think, "turn towards the side that is getting out of line", knowing that it will make the rear of the trailer straighten out.

What does "turn towards the side that is getting out of line" mean?
I can understand "place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go".
Old 02-07-2021, 01:08 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
What does "turn towards the side that is getting out of line" mean?
I can understand "place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go".

To the side you see more of the trailer than you want to in your mirrors
In other words, if your trailer is going to the left and you don't want it to, then, you turn your steering wheel to the left and that will bring it back in line.

Your method does work(butting your hand at the bottom of the wheel) but as I describe in detail in another post (which I can't find right now) it's actually slower and more awkward than placing your hand at the top of the wheel. Also putting your hand at the top of the wheel allows you to better visualize what your steering wheels are doing which in turn helps you to control the trailer.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:12 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
To the side you see more of the trailer than you want to in your mirrors
In other words, if your trailer is going to the left and you don't want it to, then, you turn your steering wheel to the left and that will bring it back in line.

Your method does work(butting your hand at the bottom of the wheel) but as I describe in detail in another post (which I can't find right now) it's actually slower and more awkward than placing your hand at the top of the wheel. Also putting your hand at the top of the wheel allows you to better visualize what your steering wheels are doing which in turn helps you to control the trailer.
my problem is when I'm trying to back up around a sharp turn, once the trailer goes out of sight of the mirrors, I need a spotter. its really not that hard to back up straight.

I can't see squat out the back sides of my truck with its long bed shell.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:02 AM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
A somewhat better bluetooth speaker is made by Ultimate Ears. I have UE and I have JBL. ( Kids need to give me something for Xmas ). Worth comparing specs and price.
I found I couldn't use both speakers at the same time.
I'm hitting on this like a big mouthed bass.

This subject is near and dear to my heart, that is, music.

These guys are correct (IMHO), these Bluetooth speakers are a very good answer. In most mountainous environments the radio is not available. So we just don't listen unless we have an Internet connection, which is also hard to find. Then you can get radio stations.

I use two different bluetooth speakers because I can sing and play my guitar/keyboards thru them, with music from my phone. We only take one.

The problem I had with these kinds of speakers are the speakers themselves. Sooner or later the cheap and medium priced ones will show their weaknesses. That is why they cost what they do, and you just ran into that reason. So I took it up a notch, hence the big mouthed bass claim.

I use the Bose SP 1 mini PA system ($600). Wow! Really good, clean music at whatever level you want. I like it low to medium but with perfect fidelity. I can plug my guitar and a microphone into it too, which is just too good to be true. This is my wife's favorite.

Mine is the Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge (also $600). BTW both of these speakers hold a solid 20 hour charge with their big batteries, even with guitars plugged in.

For me, this little guy has perfect sound and the sweetest sound for my acoustic guitar when plugged in. I did that in Kodachrome Basin State Park and our neighbors came over and said, "yes you should definitely stay". We made friends that day.

These are high quality answers for those who demand the best sound. It depends on how important that is, and playing an instrument just sweetens the deal. This is high end pro gear. You definitely do not leave these out in the rain. And if you have a small group you need to address, like with a small announcement, emergency or rally, these will both allow you to address a crowd.

Yeah they are expensive, but only once! Except if you are like me. And then you can listen at whatever level of volume you like, with perfect clarity and huge fidelity. I love that!

For those that have heard this before, sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Bose-1.jpg   Bose-2.jpg   mini-fish-2-guitars.jpg   mini-fish-2.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Hi everyone!
My 5.0 will be delivered (hopefully) in the next 2-3 weeks!
I am new to trailers.
What is your best advice and suggestions?
Anything from lists to driving!
Thanks so much!
Slow down while driving!!!

Follow truck speed limits and suggested speed limit signs.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
If it is being delivered then you don't have to worry about driving home.

I would take the time to get very familiar with your new trailer. I would start with short trips close to home and not to difficult with trailer skills. Also helps if you forget things. I have lots of trailer experience, this was still intimidating! I liked going 13 miles the first day and then parking. I did like it! Once there, beer tasted great too!

Learn to back up in a big open parking lot with stripped bay lines. A king pin turns differently than a trailer does. I think it is a little slower to initiate and there are blind spots to identify. See how tight you can turn before contacting the trailer (not 90°). I wish I would have done that. Correctly dial in your electric brake controller. It may change as your brakes wear in.

Start with a full fresh water tank. The trailer pulls better that way and is more balanced. Learn to use tire raising tools like blocks or wedges. It can be hard to learn at a campground. It can also be mandatory.

Get to know the charging system and check in with it often. Use the solar controller read out and not the dummy lights (as much). Watch the microwave use at night when not on shore power. It will zap your batteries and that means your heater, depending on what you have.

Go over all the videos while you wait! Very helpful.

Get your brakes adjusted in few weeks at most.

Torque wrench your tires as specified in the notice they give you.

Pet friendly dogs when possible. Be nice to your partner at all times (very important, it gets emotional out there some times). Teach them to spot for you.

Go once around the trailer after the check list and make sure she is ready for travel (if she is a she). Roll down your windows for the first half mile and listen.

Do not press speed until you get a good feel for the trailer. I do not come up to full speed for 10 miles or more.

And yes, watch your speed. I caught myself going way too fast. This trailer pulls very well and it can lull you to sleep. So continue to check in.

Have fun and go to fun places. Make good choices. Did I mention to pet friendly dogs?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #37
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Great advice Uncle Tim! Always appreciate all your kind words to everyone here.

I'll second the reminder to tighten the lug nuts on the wheels, especially those first few miles. My sister forgot to do that on her (sticky) trailer and one whole wheel actually fell off while on highway 17 near Santa Cruz, no less! Thankfully, traffic was moving slowly at the time and the guy behind her, stopped and jumped out of his car and caught the tire as it was rolling down the hill and gave it back to her! She had a 1 axle trailer so she had some minor damage to her trailer but most of the damage hit her wallet. Now she checks her lug nuts before every trip!

I don't mean to cause you any undo concern or worry, in fact, quite the opposite. I think ETI does a wonderful job to keep you safe (especailly with all those educational videos) and your new friends here on the forum have given you a wonderful start. We hope you enjoy your Escape as much as we do ours. Happy trails! -Bea.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
yes, those are both JBL, and the linkage technology is proprietary to JBL.

heh, one cool feature of the JBLs, not only do they come in a bajillion colors, if you order them direct, for an extra cost you can do your own custom artwork that will be screened onto the speaker.
We elected not to have any of the speakers or factory radio installed for two reasons:
1. not a biggie but you end up with a bit more space in your cabinets and a overall cleaner look, and,
2.There are so many options out there for Bluetooth speakers and many are very very good, I personally have a Bose and a Bob Marley, the Bose is really small so used when I need something portable and the Marley basically sits inside of the trailer most of the time. As time goes on these will only get better.

As an extra bonus, I bought an audio Bluetooth transmitter for my 24" 12v TV similar to this one at this link https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Tran...2729024&sr=8-5
and it works beautifully to transmit the television audio through either of my Blue tooth speakers; the sound from my Marley is better than my old soundbar and now I never have to carry my soundbar and still have great booming stereo sound for my tv!!

Cheers,
Mars
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
if you do use a car stereo, I would recommend putting a toggle switch in series with the red wire, the yellow wire is always-powered. I found the hard way if you don't switch the red wire off, the stereo can draw a fair bit of power even when not in use, and can run your battery down in a few days.
I just installed a Pioneer stereo in my trailer. I connected the red and yellow wires together to a power wire. Apparently this is a mistake. Does the red wire keep the stereo's amp on all the time?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Hi everyone!
My 5.0 will be delivered (hopefully) in the next 2-3 weeks!
I am new to trailers.
What is your best advice and suggestions?
Anything from lists to driving!
Thanks so much!
Hi: Shiloh... This is a loaded ? quite like asking "What's the best flu remedy". If this be your first fiberglass trailer you're starting with the best IMHO. Fiberglass trailer ownership is a flu like disease and the only cure is get out and use it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote