No 120v power - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 09:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
No 120v power

We discovered this evening that we have no 120v power. It's not just a GFCI issue, the refrigerator is set to auto and remains on propane. I verified that we have power at the pedestal and the little green light is glowing on the power cord. But Progressive EMS display is dark, in either normal or bypass mode. We had 120v last night at our last campground, so something happened in the last 24 hours.

Fortunately we have two solar panels and minimal need for shore power on this trip but I would like to figure this out. Any suggestions? Is the lack of display on the EMS a clue?
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Do you have a multi tester and know how to use it? First step is to figure out where you are losing power. It may be a dead EMS, but it may be something simple like a connection.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Yes, we do have a multimeter. We've been doing about 400 miles a day to get to a meet up with family in northern Idaho. One more long day, then I can start to debug. Doing some reading on various forums, looks like I should start with the EMS unit to see if I have power there?
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 21
It definitely sounds like your EMS has died. Wether it just quit or took a hit meant for the rest of the trailer. Call progressive and they will send you a new one free of charge. This happen to us once and they answered the phone promptly, asked a few question and we had a new ems in 3 days. Excellent customer service on their part .
Old 06-15-2022, 07:43 AM   #5

It is likely your EMS, but could be a connection issue. Progressive does have a history of good customer support. I have never looked to see if the EMS is fused. It’s likely not and just sacrificial. Ants also can cause issues. Look for them around your input connections and around the EMS. Hope your long drive goes well, and a little looking, a multi tester’ and a call to Progressive will likely get you going. Just don’t get bit by the 120V and be careful.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Do you have a multi tester and know how to use it? First step is to figure out where you are losing power. It may be a dead EMS, but it may be something simple like a connection.
I was working with Progessive Industries yesterday and we got the EMS working again. I think the problem is intermittent with the 30 amp connector on the trailer. I'm going to make sure all the wire connections are tight today one might not be. If they are I'm going to replace the 30 amp plug.
diannelgraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #7

Good starts. I have found loose connections in places on my trailer. Good work, and I hope you are good to go. Enjoy your visit.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #8
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I was working with Progessive Industries yesterday and we got the EMS working again. I think the problem is intermittent with the 30 amp connector on the trailer. I'm going to make sure all the wire connections are tight today one might not be. If they are I'm going to replace the 30 amp plug.
The 30A connector is IMO a design for failure. Very common to the RV industry, but it doesn't have a positive connection design. The weight of the cord can cause loss of connectivity. I replaced our connector with a Smart Plug.

Glad you were able to track down the cause of the loss of power.

2 cents
MVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I had an intermittent loss of ground in my 2017 21C. Finally chased it down to a loose connection at the back of the 30 amp twist lock inlet. The screw holding the ground wire was lying in the bottom of the connector body. Getting the inlet out to fix it was a bear - For some reason Escape used 6 bolts to attach the inlet to the trailer, all of which were covered with ProFlex.