No Battery Power - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3 View Post
Now the question is, what caused the fuse holder to melt? When I connect it to the battery and wiggle the holder the connection is restored, which makes me think the fuse didn't blow and the fuse box itself is bad. Or did something else cause it to melt? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
If the heat was intense enough (it melted) the substrate could have melted and collected on the holder and provided a path. This would explain the 'wiggling' but not the cause of the fuse failure
Old 09-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Now the question is, what caused the fuse holder to melt? When I connect it to the battery and wiggle the holder the connection is restored, which makes me think the fuse didn't blow and the fuse box itself is bad. Or did something else cause it to melt? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
More than once I've seen these type fuses plugged correctly into one side of the socket, but missing the other side. The blade rests against the side of the socket, making a poor connection that heats & fails.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I would make sure that the melted fuse wasn't too large for the application. 50 Amps should be a reasonable upper limit. If you have an inverter it should have its own heavy wire and dedicated fuse. If you found a 50 amp fuse it might be a good idea to downsize until the root cause is discovered.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Very possible that the fuse holder was faulty and arced. When I upgrade my dc wiring next year I will wire in an anl fuse and holder. Windy nation version with two 60 watt fuses is under 20. Other fuse values are readily available
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Glad you are trying to get to the root cause. I wonder if it is possible that the fuse holder was faulty and you were getting arcing within.
I've seen this happen to a air compressor mounted in the engine bay.
50 amp fuse in the same type of holder. The holder was melted and the fuse was still good. The fuse had been installed with both blades beside, not into the holder. Heat under the hood might have helped, but not caused the problem.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #26
cl3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Good info, thanks. I'll take a close look. It sure looks like the holder itself shorted.
cl3 is offline   Reply With Quote