No flow propane - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 5.0TA
No flow propane

Bottle emptied today. Switched lever over to the new bottle (full) and slowly opened valve, indicator remained red. Switched empty bottle for a full one. Indicator remained red.

No pressure in the system. Connected and disconnected tanks several times, tapped the reg several times, all no joy (but for once when it turned green and then quickly went back to red) Indicator remains red otherwise.

Diaphragm vent on the reg is clear.

Only thing I can conclude is the regulator has failed. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
sameo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Possible tank leak?
Old 09-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameo416 View Post
Bottle emptied today. Switched lever over to the new bottle (full) and slowly opened valve, indicator remained red. Switched empty bottle for a full one. Indicator remained red.

No pressure in the system. Connected and disconnected tanks several times, tapped the reg several times, all no joy (but for once when it turned green and then quickly went back to red) Indicator remains red otherwise.

Diaphragm vent on the reg is clear.

Only thing I can conclude is the regulator has failed. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
I assume you checked the tanks. For the "standard" 20 pound tank, the tank tare weight is stamped on the tank; should be 17-ish pounds. So a full tank is ~37 pounds, an empty tank ~17 pounds. A bathroom scale works well for measuring the weight.

Assuming then you have propane and the cooktop will still not light, it would appear to be the regulator. Depending on your comfort on working with propane lines, you can further diagnose the regulator, replace the regulator, or have someone else replace it. The regulator is a back-spring design (i.e., down stream gas flow controlled by down stream pressure) with a small pin/seat valve; susceptible to clogging.

edit - your comment that the indicator briefly showed green is interesting. Appears that pressure was briefly indicated and then potentially clogged. Was every thing working fine prior to the switch over in the tanks?

2 cents
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
It's not impossible that the valve in the full propane tank is just not opening. Before replacing the regulator, you could try refilling the empty bottle or getting another bottle and connecting it - if still no propane flow, it's likely the regulator - if that works, it's your full bottle valve.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21NE
For future reference, if we have this issue how do we test the system as we did not get the cooktop installed on our trailer.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
I assume you checked the tanks. For the "standard" 20 pound tank, the tank tare weight is stamped on the tank; should be 17-ish pounds. So a full tank is ~37 pounds, an empty tank ~17 pounds. A bathroom scale works well for measuring the weight.

Assuming then you have propane and the cooktop will still not light, it would appear to be the regulator. Depending on your comfort on working with propane lines, you can further diagnose the regulator, replace the regulator, or have someone else replace it. The regulator is a back-spring design (i.e., down stream gas flow controlled by down stream pressure) with a small pin/seat valve; susceptible to clogging.

edit - your comment that the indicator briefly showed green is interesting. Appears that pressure was briefly indicated and then potentially clogged. Was every thing working fine prior to the switch over in the tanks?

2 cents
Yes, all working fine before the change over.

Is there a way to unseat the needle valve? Maybe adjust the diaphragm setting?

@DavidMurphy I replaced one tank with a third, same thing. Unless I have simultaneous failures in two tanks or two hoses the regulator seems to be the common failure.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #7

Tried disconnecting the tanks again. As I connected one there was a psst of pressure release. Now it’s working fine on that one tank.

I’m mystified.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Yes, all working fine before the change over.

Is there a way to unseat the needle valve? Maybe adjust the diaphragm setting?

@DavidMurphy I replaced one tank with a third, same thing. Unless I have simultaneous failures in two tanks or two hoses the regulator seems to be the common failure.
Sure sounds to point to a bad regulator then. If you had a manometer, which I assume you don't, you could attach it to the test port on the right side of the regulator and confirm that the regulator is not putting out any pressure, or very low pressure. I don't know whether it's possible to unscrew the valve in the regulator all the way (it's a plastic fitting behind the round black plastic cover in the center of the regulator), but without any kind of gauge to check or adjust your pressure it would be tricky / dangerous to take that valve all the way out and put it back in.

If you are out camping now, you may be out of luck for a bit. If you are at home, since your trailer is new you should be able to contact ETI, explain everything you have done to confirm that the regulator isn't working, and have them send you a new regulator. Alternatively, you could also order a replacement regulator to get it more quickly, install whichever one comes first, and then keep the other as a spare...sadly it seems that all kinds of components are just not as well made as they used to be and are subject to a higher failure rate these days. The Marshall-Excelsior MEGR-253 is a good regulator and would be a direct replacement, that may be the one Escape is using these days.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #9

I do have a manometer with us…from our prior fridge problems. I’ll keep that in mind if it fails again. I’m certain there was no or very low pressure in the system as could not hear any gas escape from the stove.

Think I’ll order a spare just to ensure I’ve got an option. It is an Excelsior installed so ETI must be using those for new installs.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Tried disconnecting the tanks again. As I connected one there was a psst of pressure release. Now it’s working fine on that one tank.

I’m mystified.
My "no gas" issues always resulted from my under-tightening the connection to the tank(s). Starting over with determination seem to do the trick.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
It might be a longshot, but also double check that all gas appliances are OFF, in case the excess flow valves are shutting off the gas when switching tanks.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
... The Marshall-Excelsior MEGR-253 is a good regulator and would be a direct replacement, that may be the one Escape is using these days.
FWIW yes, my August 2021 build 5.0 was delivered with the Marshall-Excelsior.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:47 PM   #13

That may be it. I’m always uneasy about reefing on nylon couplers. When I did tighten it down really firmly the problem went away.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
Sounds to me like a stuck OPD valve. This happened to me last spring. I checked on the web and discovered that it can be reset by removing the tank and dropping it in the upright position about a foot onto a solid surface. I had a convenient tree stump and smacked it down hard. This fixed the problem.
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, propane, red, regulator