No GFCI trip on GFCI labeled circiut - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Thank you for the suggestion!
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
The self contained "punch down wire" RV receptacles are peculiar to the industry. I can see some room for someone inventing a better quality self contained receptacle.

One reason for protecting the fridge............ I read on a forum earlier this year that someone was having trouble with their trailer tripping the house GFCI they had it plugged into at home. They then plugged it into a non-GFCI circuit and discovered they had a "hot skin" condition. Very dangerous. After much trial and error, they discovered that unplugging the fridge eliminated the problem, and that the heating element was shorted, not enough to trip a breaker, nor burn a wire, it even heated, but was shorted enough to cause the problems. The person posting installed a plug in GFCI in the fridge receptacle after replacing the heater element.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Wa...=aw.ds#overlay

Warning, I have one and the description says it has an "indicator light" which is NOT correct, it has a red mechanical flag in a tiny clear window, to show when it is tripped. Very handy to have however, if you are working outdoors with extension cords and only have non gfci circuits to access.

Charles
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #23

So after much testing, looking and scratching our heads...the outlet only works on shore power! Why would they wire it like that? It was supposed to be just like the outlet on the front of the counter in the 21c. I'm sure the 21c outlet works on the inverter and not only on shore power. Doesn't it? It makes absolutely no sense to us why they would wire it that way. Is there a way to fix it so it will work on the inverter? Is that a question for an electrician?
Old 09-23-2021, 07:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Interesting. If you have the inverter option with all outlets it should be wired through the sub panel and powered with inverter on. Strange that they would have run another circuit back to the WFCO power center directly for this outlet. You need to figure out what circuit it is on and start there. If a double breaker is added to one of the slots in the sub panel it’s possible you might be able to pull the wire off the breaker in the power center and wire it to the sub panel. Then it would work on shore power and inverter. Which might be better anyway since you plan to run an induction cooktop on this circuit it would be nice if it was dedicated.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #25

Thanks we'll give that a try!
Old 09-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
So after much testing, looking and scratching our heads...the outlet only works on shore power! Why would they wire it like that? It was supposed to be just like the outlet on the front of the counter in the 21c. I'm sure the 21c outlet works on the inverter and not only on shore power. Doesn't it? It makes absolutely no sense to us why they would wire it that way. Is there a way to fix it so it will work on the inverter? Is that a question for an electrician?
The first thing I will do when troubleshooting any type of electrical issues where a gfi is involved is I replace the gfi with a regular outlet.

I first rule out the gfi then go from there, if thats it replace it with a new gfi.

If that’s not it buy a $3 dollar tester, another one for 12v, then trace where the power stops lighting the light on the tester.
For most electrical issues you don’t need a multimeter.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
When you ordered the inverter did you get the all outlets option or the one outlet option ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
When you ordered the inverter did you get the all outlets option or the one outlet option ?
We got all the outlet options. That is why we were puzzled about why the one outlet doesn't work on the inverter. All other 120v outlets work on the inverter.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:24 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
We got all the outlet options. That is why we were puzzled about why the one outlet doesn't work on the inverter. All other 120v outlets work on the inverter.
Sounds like they miswired it then and left out the outlet. Trace which breaker it lives on by plugging in a standard outlet tester (the one with three lights) and flip breakers until you find it. (On my current inverter install I’m using tandem 15 amp breakers so i can have more than enough to isolate the microwave as well as others to their own breaker). The outlet may be pigtailed to another breaker or not. Id recommend a licensed electrician to deal with moving it , unless the skill set is possessed by your household. To work that outlet needs to be moved to the subpanel.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:24 AM   #30

We are so appreciative of all the knowledge and experience shared by everyone on this forum!
Old 09-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 21C
That's correct. The outside GFI protects the recepticle by the sink.
David Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote