No running lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
No running lights

We are on a trip and my running lights on the trailer quit working. Got brake lights and blinkers but no running lights. Any ideas?
We will be off the road before dark anyways, so no problem with that. Just wondering if their maybe a Quick fix.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I have had an intermittent problem with that - apparently an intermittent short in the wiring in my truck. Sometimes the running lights work, sometimes not, have never been able to get it successfully diagnosed. You can pick up an inexpensive testing plug to put in the 7-pin connector on your vehicle and determine for sure whether the problem is in your truck or trailer wiring. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I almost never drive at night, on the rare occasions where it's been dark and stormy during the day I just put on my emergency flashers so the trailer is clearly visible to anyone coming up behind me.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I actually carry a set of boat trailer magnetic lights for this situation. Yah, probably guarantees that I'll never have this problem. But we often are on the road at night so I consider them cheap insurance.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ron,
Could you please post a link to the item "boat trailer magnetic light" you mention, maybe something to consider. Thanks
Old 09-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #5

Similar to these, although Amazon seems expensive since similar ones are on sale at Princess Auto, our Tractor Supply, for 20 bucks CDN.

https://www.amazon.ca/CZC-AUTO-Magne...g=askmenosp-20

The only time in recent memory that I didn't carry a set with me was when I went out to ETI to pick up the 21. We duly checked the lights before pulling out of their parking lot. No brake lights. ETI brought their tester out and the trailer lights were fine. Our truck was the problem. So a couple of mile drive to the dealer in an area of heavy traffic. I faked brake lights. Every time I slowed down I'd flash my running lights which had the same effect. Turns out a truck fuse had blown, complete mystery because the lights have worked flawlessly since. Touch wood.

Ron
Old 09-05-2022, 12:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Does your TV have an “Auto” lights setting? Mine does and I have to turn the switch to “On” to get power to the running lights.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
We are on a trip and my running lights on the trailer quit working. Got brake lights and blinkers but no running lights. Any ideas?
We will be off the road before dark anyways, so no problem with that. Just wondering if their maybe a Quick fix.
A quick thing to check is your 7 pin connector on the truck. I’ve had the standing tabs compress and create an issue. You can bend them back out with a small flat blade screwdriver.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
A quick thing to check is your 7 pin connector on the truck. I’ve had the standing tabs compress and create an issue. You can bend them back out with a small flat blade screwdriver.
I just did this repair action last trip to fix a wonky connection to the brake controller.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Does your TV have an “Auto” lights setting? Mine does and I have to turn the switch to “On” to get power to the running lights.
Interesting, it must vary by brand. My F150 has "Auto" for the headlights and the trailer running lights come on when the truck lights come on.

Ron
Old 09-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Just to be sure that it isn’t just the light switch not being in the right position, check each of these usual positions:
AUTO - only comes on when it’s dark or close to it.
RUNNING LIGHTS ONLY - This should turn your running lights on
ALL ON - This should turn your running lights on, too, along with headlights.
If the last two don’t work then it’s probably a tow vehicle issue, connector problem or perhaps the brake controller if everything runs through it.
Good hunting!
Old 09-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The brake light and signals ("blinkers") use the same wires and lights - so those are working. All lighting functions share the same negative (ground) connection to the tow vehicle, so that must be working, too.

By "running lights" I assume that you mean both tail lights and marker/clearance lights. If some of those are working and others are not, it is bad connections or failed lamps within the trailer; if they're all not working, then the problem is in the circuit consisting of the single wire from the tow vehicle, single contact set in the 7-pin connector, single wire from that contact, or the wires attached to it. The usual troubleshooting method is to start somewhere that's easy to reach (the 7-pin socket on the tow vehicle): if it doesn't work there then follow the circuit forward from there to where it starts working; if it does work there then follow the circuit back from there to where it stops working.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
... If the last two don’t work then it’s probably a tow vehicle issue, connector problem or perhaps the brake controller if everything runs through it.
The running light circuit won't run through a brake controller... just the brake light circuit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 17b Escape
Running lights not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Your brake lights and your turn signals are on one fuse in your truck and you have a separate fuse for your running lights for the trailer it is probably that, check your truck manual for where to locate that fuse.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote