Norcold 7cu ft 3-way -no power - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2023, 06:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 E21NE
Norcold 7cu ft 3-way -no power

HELP!! Getting ready for our first trip next weekend in our new 21NE. All systems go until we tried the refrigerator today. When we push the "on" button, nothing happens. No lights on the control panel, no error message, just dead. Checked the fuse box under the dinette -the 30amp refrigerator fuse is good. We have tried both with the propane only and also plugging into shore power. I think there is another fuse in the back of the refrigerator, but we took off the panel and did not see it. Am I missing something?
VTMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
What model is the refrigerator? I was not aware that Escape was now installing Norcold absorption refrigerators.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:45 AM   #3

It’s model N7LX.3L.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #4

Darcy - you need to find the main control board at the back of the fridge. It should be under a (black?) plastic cover. It has several fuses that you should check. The mini-blade 5A and 7.5A fuses are on the 12V DC side and there is an 8A glass type fuse on the AC side. Based on your issue my guess would be it is one of the fuses on the DC side. If you post pictures of the back of your fridge and the control board that would help us locate the fuses.
Attached Thumbnails
Norcold wiring schematic.JPG   fuse types and locations.JPG   back side of Norcold fridge.JPG  
Old 06-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2023 E19
I quickly read the manual, and it looks like the fridge needs 12V power to operate in either 120v AC or 12v DC/propane modes. I'd double check that there's DC voltage present at the fridge's power connection as well. There could be a bad/loose connection between the power center and the fridge.

The control board fuses/ schematic are referenced on pages 19/20 of the manual:

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...B_20180604.pdf

The location of the control board and power connections are shown on pages 7/8 of the parts list:

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...5_20210210.pdf
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
What model is the refrigerator? I was not aware that Escape was now installing Norcold absorption refrigerators.
I have a factory installed 2 way Norcold in my 2022 5.0 TA. Supply chain issues at ETI made this happen. It isn't an absorption fridge. I'm very happy with it.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:49 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone! This is all new to us and we do not have any electrical expertise. I can see two compartments in the back of the refrigerator, and both have stickers indicating there are fuses inside (now that I know what to look for!). Going to open it up today and see what's going on. I hope it's this simple to fix.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:53 AM   #8

Sofmerc -I think we got ours due to supply chain issues also, Pretty sure you also have an absorption refrigerator- the other choice is a compressor refrigerator that only runs on electric and is much more expensive.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:11 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Could it be something as simple as someone accidentally flipped the main battery/power disconnect?

I'm not familiar with the newest trailers, but in the past, people occasionally bumped the switch/lever that turns off nearly all power to the accessories and appliances.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMurphy View Post
Sofmerc -I think we got ours due to supply chain issues also, Pretty sure you also have an absorption refrigerator- the other choice is a compressor refrigerator that only runs on electric and is much more expensive.
I'm sorry,yes we did get the absorption fridge,rather than the compressor fridge...Brain fart here!
Old 06-14-2023, 11:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2023 21C' Escape
I have a similar problem as well. Picked up our 21C in Sioux Falls yesterday. Trying the same fridge but when I touch the on/off button I get the propane flame and 3 snowflakes icon on the panel and nothing else then after a few seconds, since I don't have the gas connected yet the green lights turns red and stays red for a period of time and then I touch the on/off button and get the fridge to turn off. Very frustrating after spending this kind of money
Cyclones forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone! This is all new to us and we do not have any electrical expertise. I can see two compartments in the back of the refrigerator, and both have stickers indicating there are fuses inside (now that I know what to look for!). Going to open it up today and see what's going on. I hope it's this simple to fix.
Any updates? Did you find any bad fuses?
Old 06-18-2023, 08:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones forever View Post
I have a similar problem as well. Picked up our 21C in Sioux Falls yesterday. Trying the same fridge but when I touch the on/off button I get the propane flame and 3 snowflakes icon on the panel and nothing else then after a few seconds, since I don't have the gas connected yet the green lights turns red and stays red for a period of time and then I touch the on/off button and get the fridge to turn off. Very frustrating after spending this kind of money
I think the flame icon on the panel means the refrigerator is set to work with propane (only). Since your propane wasn't connected, that's why it didn't start.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:49 AM   #14

No update. Escape sent us a list of repair shops the cover Norcold warranty work. Playing phone tag with one, might try a different one. We are currently camping, using the yeti cooler. It’s OK, def not as good as having a fridge. We poked around for the fuses in the back, but didn’t want to void the warranty if we did something stupid.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:09 AM   #15

After a long wait to get into a repair shop, we finally have the answer. Even though we had checked the 30 amp fuse labeled "refrigerator" in the fuse box, the refrigerator fuse was actually missing! The tech put a fuse in and everything now works perfectly. So, the fuse box label was inaccurate/sloppy. As a side note, the tech also noticed that our 2 6V lead acid batteries were making a bubbling noise. We had purchased the "lithium battery ready" option, which has a toggle in the fuse box to set to either lithium or lead acid. Ours was mistakenly set to lithium, which was sending too much juice to the batteries. Had no idea this toggle even existed.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
After a long wait to get into a repair shop, we finally have the answer. Even though we had checked the 30 amp fuse labeled "refrigerator" in the fuse box, the refrigerator fuse was actually missing! The tech put a fuse in and everything now works perfectly. So, the fuse box label was inaccurate/sloppy. As a side note, the tech also noticed that our 2 6V lead acid batteries were making a bubbling noise. We had purchased the "lithium battery ready" option, which has a toggle in the fuse box to set to either lithium or lead acid. Ours was mistakenly set to lithium, which was sending too much juice to the batteries. Had no idea this toggle even existed.
Glad to hear your problem is solved. I hope ETI covers the repair costs, as it seems to have been an installation error, and not a problem with the fridge itself.

We picked up our new 5.0 at the end of July and it too has the Norcold two-way absorption fridge. After getting used to the touch screen, we’ve been generally satisfied with it, with one minor exception…on about half of the ten days we took to drive back to Wisconsin, we would get to our destination, having run the fridge on gas during the drive, and discover that the red light on the fridge display was flashing. The issue was easily resolved by turning the fridge off and then back on, but I wish I knew what is causing this and whether it will turn into a bigger issue later.
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
We use AcuRite fridge sensors (one for the fridge and one for the freezer) that transmit far enough to keep the read-out in the truck and watch for any significant changes in temps.

There have been claims by some owners that the fridge flame blows out at high speeds. I don't know that that has actually happened, but it would be something to keep and eye on.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We use AcuRite fridge sensors (one for the fridge and one for the freezer) that transmit far enough to keep the read-out in the truck and watch for any significant changes in temps.

There have been claims by some owners that the fridge flame blows out at high speeds. I don't know that that has actually happened, but it would be something to keep and eye on.
Had an AcuRite which worked ok for awhile. Then I started to find it inaccurate. Much more expensive but very durable, reliable and accurate are SensorPush sensors. They transmit via Bluetooth to app on your phone and I have been able to read from the tow vehicle.
www.sensorpush.com/