Not made for walking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Not made for walking

Does anyone have an electric tricycle they take along on camping trips? Curious about finding an option for those of us not physically able to walk very far on the dusty trails out there like we used to.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Someone at Maryhill had one. I don't remember who but Paulw would know if you PM him, I think.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #3

E-Scooters and other mini-E-bikes that fold up for easy transport in your car trunk or even as carry on luggage in an airplane typically cost a thousand bucks and more. Seemed like the perfect solution for someone not wanting to risk clamping one onto the back of his (my) Escape trailer. So when I happened upon an internet site, a really professional looking one, claiming to offer an electric folding scooter for $35.99 plus $8 shipping, I says, well now!

What the hell, I'm thinking, if the deal is a scam, and it surely must be that, that's only two cases of beer lost. What was I thinking? Yet, being very intrigued, I bit.

I got an email thanking for my order and that it was being processed. That was reassuring. Then I did some detective work and found a website dedicated to identifying popular scams. They had deduced all evidence pointed to yes, it likely is a scam. So now I am very upset because I paid my $43.99 with my credit card.

That was several days ago. Today I was about to contact my credit card and attempt to stop payment to that "company." This morning I get a second email from the "scammers" thanking me for my order again, and letting me know that my order has been processed and was shipped! Even included a tracking number.

Do you believe this?? Stay tuned.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #4

Did you check the tracking number? I had an "order" via Amazon that was too good to be true- and when I checked tracking after it didn't arrive in a timely manner it showed delivered somewhere else. No more response from customer service at the seller; Amazon refunded me.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

This tracking number is suspicious. The message said, shipped via "Shenzhen Huanmao Warehouse & Distribution Service Co., Ltd."
Old 06-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
... What the hell, I'm thinking, if the deal is a scam, and it surely must be that, that's only two cases of beer lost. What was I thinking?

... So now I am very upset because I paid my $43.99 with my credit card.
Myron, please don't beat yourself up about this, your original thought was not fatally flawed, just be thankful that your credit card likely provides lots of resolution provisions if it does indeed turn out to be a scam.

Yeah, it may take a while to let things play-out, you'll probably have to allow some time for the vendor to 'perform' (or maybe not), in the meantime try to not disproportionally sweat the relatively small stuff.

You've clearly got plenty of positive things in your life you can direct your geezer energy and talents toward, please try to keep those as your focus
Old 06-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Scammers are tricky bastards. Their favorite prey seems to be seniors. My only real concern here, since I wasn't born yesterday on the back of a cabbage truck, is if these guys can manage somehow to re-use my credit card.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Scammers are tricky bastards. Their favorite prey seems to be seniors. My only real concern here, since I wasn't born yesterday on the back of a cabbage truck, is if these guys can manage somehow to re-use my credit card.
Well, FWIW my VISA was counterfeited (a physical copy created and used for a 'card swipe' transaction) earlier this year. Chase VISA promptly credited the resulting unauthorized charge and sent me a replacement card via overnight FedEx at no charge.

Then, within 2 weeks (!), in spite of my heightened sensitivity to look for indications of a 'skimmer', etc, it happened again! Again, Chase VISA was great about it, I had a wonderful conversation with their fraud unit representative who, with his investigative tools while on the phone with me in real-time, managed to isolate the likely offender to a particular Texaco station I (now formerly ) frequented in my neighborhood.

The first instance was 'flagged' as an 'out-of-pattern charge' and I received a text from Chase within minutes of the transaction allowing me to decline it was mine. The second I caught before Chase, in the process of looking at my online account charges which I now do on a weekly basis.

Yeah, a bit of a PITA having to notify several pre-arranged utilities of the new card numbers twice in quick succession, but man am I happy with the protections using a credit (vs debit) card provides.

The point of the long anecdote being 'hang in there', it'll likely all work out, minor inconvenience and maybe a lesson learned along the way, but no serious personal loss or harm.

I remain The Eternal Optimist in my Senior Years, I hope you can do the same
Old 06-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
If you're worried, peace of mind is only a phone call away. Dial your credit card provider and say you think your card might have been compromised; they will kill that card instantly and mail you a new one, which usually comes in a week or less (because they want you to use it, a lot).

You'll have to let us know what comes from China. I'm guessing it's a toy, maybe 1/64 scale, but who knows...
Old 06-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #10

"....I'm guessing it's a toy, maybe 1/64 scale, but who knows..."

My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ges-29654.html
Old 06-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Angry Gasoline card scam

In the Los Angeles area we have an ongoing gasoline card scam. They hijack the reader in the gas pump and record the electronic information. This happened to me about seven years ago. I got a phone call from the security department shell oil. Wanting to know if I had purchased diesel fuel in Los Angeles on the previous three days. $95 each purchase. They shut down the account and since I'd never purchased diesel fuel before they decided I wasn't responsible besides I was living 45 miles away. Now I have it if my shell card is used they send me an email. Usually about 10 seconds after I've hung the pump up.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
In the Los Angeles area we have an ongoing gasoline card scam. They hijack the reader in the gas pump and record the electronic information. This happened to me about seven years ago. I got a phone call from the security department shell oil. Wanting to know if I had purchased diesel fuel in Los Angeles on the previous three days. $95 each purchase. They shut down the account and since I'd never purchased diesel fuel before they decided I wasn't responsible besides I was living 45 miles away. Now I have it if my shell card is used they send me an email. Usually about 10 seconds after I've hung the pump up.
Smart. I have my credit card set up so I get a message every time a charge is made. Plus they email me my balance daily,.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Is the convenience of credit use waning?
Old 06-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is the convenience of credit use waning?
The convenience and security of using a credit card (but not credit card debt, I pay balance in full each statement) remains strong for me, YMMV. Carrying cash has obvious risks and checks provide data leading to potentially dreadful direct access to bank accounts with usually much less protective statutes and policies for unauthorized use.

The statutory protections mentioned in the article you link are good IMO, and as mentioned therein with careful choice of card issuer they are even better, limiting risk exposure to zero in many cases.

One habit-change since the conversation with the Chase VISA Fraud rep mentioned in my prior post ... I will no longer use any card-reader that requires full-insertion to read the chip or a mag-strip swipe. Chase readily acknowledged that no system is totally immune from data theft, card counterfeiting, etc, but advised that the readers requiring only partial-insertion for 'chip-read' or even the 'contactless wave' RFID readers have a lower risk of security breach (though that may change as systems used by bad-actors evolve).

Personally I've never accepted / had a "debit" card, even when offered as a 'perk' with a bank account.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #16
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
For those folks who are unaware of this option, in many instances banks/credit card companies allow the card holder to be notified of credit/debit card use electronically. More than likely you can be notified if the card is used for any amount, or a minimum amount (i.e.: $50)...all depending on what risk level you wish to have.
I just had my truck serviced and as I paid for it with my card, my phone notified me that my card had just been used, telling me when/where and how much...at the same time. A wonderful situation to say the least and certainly a preventative for fraud.

Just passing it along for what it's worth.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
For those folks who are unaware of this option, in many instances banks/credit card companies allow the card holder to be notified of credit/debit card use electronically.

By using this feature, are you assuming risk? Or is it still the credit card company's problem?
Old 06-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
By using this feature, are you assuming risk? Or is it still the credit card company's problem?
Interesting question. I think you are required to notify them as soon as possible about a fraudulent charge. So if they sent you a notification of a charge you knew was not yours, and you didn't notify them within a reasonable time period, they might be able to transfer the loss to you. However, the only way that would happen to me is if I were unable to use the phone but messages were getting through to me, and then it would be reasonable to notify them as soon as I could get a call through (whatever time period that turned out to be.)
Old 06-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #19
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not from what I've read in the narrow window (only one bank I deal with) I've viewed from and from my experience. But that clarification is something each company will have in their operational policy - so I won't suggest otherwise.

But basically they want to know sooner rather then later if someone is fraudulently accessing your account(s). Far easier to interrupt criminal activity at the outset, then follow up on a trail days or weeks old like old statements received in the mail.

If your credit card was stolen and you dispute one hundred $50 purchases made in Moscow Russia after receipt of your 30 day old statement, it makes more sense for the company to be notified as quickly as possible. They are on the hook...but then again, the fine print is written by lawyers, so clarification would be appropriate.

Plus another advantage, if you have account(s) you share with someone else (i.e.: spendthrift spouse, university student, mistress or gigalow, et al) you can monitor their spending rather then at months end.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #20

I was able to track down the tracking number that my Chinese friends, who are hiding behind a very un-Chinese wall, one named the "Maxwell Roger" Company, use to deflect their identity until it is too late. Their tracking record reveals one consistent, repeated problem. That tracking number they provided is near impossible to use. Those who actually get a response usually find it to be another clever excuse to string you along. You ain't going to get your item unless you are very lucky. Beware, or be had.