Odd Tire Wear - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #41

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Clearer

Much clearer now. Thank you 1 and all.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPaul View Post
Place the bottom of the level on the tire at 9 and 3 o’clock on the outside tire bulge. Avoid any areas that bulge out uniformly. This should place the level parallel to the ground. The top of the level (on the outside away from the tire) should point very close to strait ahead. If this is not consistent on all 4 tires. It should show you where the problem is.
Thank you for bringing this method to our attention. It's an old school method of alignment but still a valid way to check if your axles are straight.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Funky axle on E21C

Put a straight edge across the tires on both sides of our E21C per the suggestion in this thread. Much to my surprise, I found the driver's side front axle tire to be 5/8" our of alignment with the rear of the tire and tire on the rear axle. Did the same measurement on passenger side and found them to be flush to the straight-edge front to back as you would expect. Something is definitely wrong with the front axle alignment, This would explain the odd tire wear on that tire. Thanks for the tip on using a straight-edge to check this.
Chama
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Put a straight edge across the tires on both sides of our E21C per the suggestion in this thread. Much to my surprise, I found the driver's side front axle tire to be 5/8" our of alignment with the rear of the tire and tire on the rear axle. Did the same measurement on passenger side and found them to be flush to the straight-edge front to back as you would expect. Something is definitely wrong with the front axle alignment, This would explain the odd tire wear on that tire. Thanks for the tip on using a straight-edge to check this.
Chama
Is the distance center to center of the axle hubs the same on both sides? If it's not, that could be an installation error. If they are the same, axle problem.

At least you have an idea of where to go from here.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #45

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Final outcome of axle trouble 2019 E21

Since I have posted to this thread previously, I wanted to post the final outcome. Dexter has agreed to warranty coverage of the front axle on our 2019 E21. They were very nice to work with and the only real problem we had was determining the serial number of the axle which is stamped on the back side of the axle tube. It was very difficult to get to and very difficult to read after 11,000 miles of travel.

So, hopefully in a few weeks, we will be back and ready for travel again, assuming we can get Covid vaccinations.. Oh, they did NOT cover the tire which was worn badly by the axle trouble. Others have had tire covered also but I guess we had too many miles.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote