Official Berkey Water Filtration System - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2021, 11:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Official Berkey Water Filtration System

We want to purchase a Travel Berkey, not a knock off. It seems there are a lot of unauthorized sellers out there, even on Amazon. While searching to find an official dealer, I came across a recent class action lawsuit against New Millennial Concepts by Bloomberg Law. We don't want to purchase a " knock off". How did you find an official/authorized dealer to buy from?
Thanks so much!
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Why not right from Berkey? https://www.berkeyfilters.com/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Holly/Fred,
Not trying to dissuade you, but you can buy a whole lot of a good bottled water such as Nestle Pure for drinking and use city water/fresh water tank contents for washing and toilet flushing. And the Berkeley needs to be maintained. I wouldn’t even hazard a guess as to when the (financial) break even point would be reached. And bottled water will not take up nearly as much counter space as it can be kept in the tow vehicle and brought in as needed. Again, not trying to convince you that you shouldn’t get a Berkeley water filter, but you are likely only going to use what it filters for drinking.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
so many bad reviews on them lately. I was going to buy one but very bad reviews of customer service etc. lately. I decided to look for an alternative.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Donna is correct, buy from the official Berkey site ... that's what we did. We've used a Pur water system for years and it worked fine; however, I wanted a little more filtration and less plastic so we purchased the Berkey. Our two recent camping trips were the 'test runs', so to speak. The travel system fits perfectly in our 21', right next to the stove/oven (we got the stand) and takes up about as much room as the Pur pitcher ... maybe a little less. You do have to allow extra time for it to filter as it's not as fast as the Pur and, after about 10 fills, the water began to drip a little slower. I took a soft brush and brushed off the two filters, removing some 'gunk' and the filtering process sped up considerably (the filters are good for up to 3k fills). When we're ready to move to another campsite, I take the remaining water and place it into a jug which can be refiltered or just used at the next stop while the Berkey is doing its thing. So far, we're pleased with our purchase.

This was an interesting read: https://waterfilterguru.com/why-are-...in-california/

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21C "Mabel" (on order) / 2019 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Why not right from Berkey? https://www.berkeyfilters.com/
Which one do you use? The "Travel" size says for 1 person but it is almost the same size as the "Big" Berkey?

Thank you
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:07 AM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Holly/Fred,
Not trying to dissuade you, but you can buy a whole lot of a good bottled water such as Nestle Pure for drinking and use city water/fresh water tank contents for washing and toilet flushing. (snip)
Um, not everyone wants to use bottled water for various environmental reasons. Plus, recycling containers at campgrounds can be few and far between.

I got a Berkeley (travel size) directly from them about 4 or so years ago. I used it when I took a two month trip in the trailer, but wasn't 100% happy with it. It filtered water just fine, but was kind of a pain to use. I'd put it in the sink with towels around it when traveling and on the flip up counter at the foot of the bed (we got extended cabinet above the furnace).

We have a filter on the cold water on the kitchen sink, so what I do now is fill up my two one-gallon Stanley jugs (unfortunately they discontinued that size, which is perfect for the trailer; glad I have two!) from home. I also fill up the five-gallon Wavian containers and shove them in the bed of the Tundra (fortunately wads of room back there, but not everyone might have that much room in their tow vehicle). I refill the Stanleys as needed. One of them sits on that flip up counter by the bed.

https://wavianusa.com/products/wavian-water-can

Ignore the title listing, which is partly incorrect:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adven...21&sr=8-4&th=1
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We have a Big Berkey which is one size bigger than the Travel Berkey. We have a 17B. The Berkey fits perfectly (with the knob on the lid and rubber base removed) under the overhead cabinet on the wardrobe cabinet. We slide it back against the wall when not in use. I put a soft cloth or piece of thin cereal box cardboard under it so it slides very easily and doesn’t scratch the countertop. For travel I have a tall narrow cardboard box that I put it in. Any filtered water I put into a one gallon jug ready to be used at the next destination. Works great for the two of us. I think the travel Berkey would be too small.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote