Ouch! Someone backed into me! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Sorry to hear about this Sarah, adds a bit of a grey cloud over getting a brand new trailer.

Took a quick look on the internet, if you Google Gloucester Ma boat repairs you get a number of places. Might want to call ahead as this may be a busy time of year with everyone taking their boats out of the water for the winter. You only have a month or so before you want to head west again.

If the cracks go the whole way through the fiberglass you might put some duct tape over it till you get home, they make white if you can find it.
Thanks so much Bob. I appreciate your research too. There should be a choice of repair shops around Boston. Good point about timing. I may call ahead to get at least an initial appointment set up. I thought about covering it and will probably duct tape a white plastic trash bag over it. That seems prudent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
There are enough fiberglass cars out there that you can probably find an auto repair shop that can do a credible job on your trailer. For example, see Hollis Auto Body in your town. Not sure if they do fiberglass but they do aluminum, so there's a fair chance they might also do fiberglass or can point you in the right direction.

Having had major damage to my fiberglass boat, I can tell you that marine repair shops are no panacea.

And your insurance agent may be able to tell you of a credible shop (especially as the cost of the repair won't be coming out of your insurer's pocket).

FWIW.
Thank you Abby. I appreciate your comments.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
Just to add- we had repair done on our previous 17b at a reputable boat shop - not to worry, they should be able to fix it you shouldn't be able to tell that it ever happened.
One thing I would suggest, Ask Escape about providing you with the gel coat paint to match the trailer. I think matching the exact " white" tint may be difficult for the repair shop, that's what we did.
Chapitre thanks for the great advice. I will ask for a gelcoat paint match from Escape. We import white linens for our business and I have experience with the 50 shades of white! Your comment is reassuring.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Ouch, that is awful. But as many others have said, easily repairable in the right hands.

I agree with getting some insight from Escape, which may be just some little thing to watch for in the area, then let the pros do their thing.

And kudos to the driver that hit you for actually reporting this to you. All too many these days quickly duck out if they think they could avoid the cost and hassle.
Jim, you are right on. I'm very appreciative that the driver came and found me rather than fleeing the scene. Life is an exciting adventure isn't it?

Old 10-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
Jim, you are right on. I'm very appreciative that the driver came and found me rather than fleeing the scene. Life is an exciting adventure isn't it?
Yes, crap happens, and is always easier to deal with when folks work together to make it all right.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Good morning Sarah. I hope you feel somewhat better this morning. I think Chaptire had an excellent idea about asking ETI to provide the proper tint. So sorry this happened... BASTARDS!!!

Fred M.
Hey Fred, Thanks. I'm back to my bouncy self this morning [emoji2]! As the song goes..."don't let the bastards get you down"! I appreciate your comments and glad to see ya'll are safely back in the Lone Star State!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Very sad for sure! Most likely you will find very good fiberglass repair shop back in Boston for sure. Likely ETI can work hand in hand with who ever you pick to make sure when repaired you would never know it was damaged.

Good luck!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Just be careful of Duct tape. Some of the cheap crap-o-la, the glue will turn to concrete. Don't ask me how I know...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you need to cover a crack temporarily and happen to have gaffer's tape, that would be better than duct tape or other common repair tapes, because it removes cleanly. Of course, most people don't have gaffer's tape and I couldn't even find it in local hardware stores (I bought it from Lee Valley Tools).

If the damage is only superficial, so there is no way for water to get through the shell, I wouldn't worry about covering it and would not put tape on it.

Although there are many "plastic" body panels on cars, few are fiberglass and even those don't have a gelcoat finish, because they're painted. A boat repair shop seems much more likely to be experienced in this type of repair than an autobody shop.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #30

I cleaned and dressed the wound today. Used a little white trash bag to cover it then put duct tape over that and just applied the duct tape to the very edges to catch the plastic down. It's looking like rain out here and Sundance Wyoming so I thought it best to cover it up. Tomorrow it should clear off and I'm hoping to get a glimpse of Devils Tower!

Old 10-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's a good thing to have done. It would probably be OK without a covering because it's unlikely that any significant water would have made ingress into the laminate. I wouldn't worry about tape residues etc. The solvents typically used to clean and prep the area will dissolve the residue. In addition, the repair will likely involve sanding the area adjacent to the repair.

I've seen massive boat hull damage that was repaired and the area of the damage was not visible. I've repaired dozens of similar injuries on my own boat from going through hundreds of canal locks and the repairs were invisible. As others have said, any good boat shop can make your ouchie go away.

In the meantime enjoy Devils Tower. It's on my bucket list.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #32

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I would clean out under the bed and look at that corner from the inside. If the fibreglass material shows damage, e.g. cracking, tearing or lifting of the fibreglass mat/cloth, I would take pictures and share with ETI and consider asking your repair shop to repair. It may need to be sanded down to remove the damaged area and new fibreglass cloth/resin applied to the inside along with new gelcoat on the outside.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are stopping at the park, this is a good time of the month to see the Milky Way over the tower (limited moonlight). Here is a photo from the parking lot for the Joyner Ridge Trail (a left turn on the road to the Visitor Center & tower parking. For those interested in the technical details, Camera was a Nikon D700 with a 17 - 35mm f:2.8 lens at 17mm & f:2.8, 30 seconds & ISO 3200.

Even if you don't bring a camera, the view of the Milky Way & tower is impressive, and worth seeing!
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC4749-Edit.jpg  
Old 10-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
I would clean out under the bed and look at that corner from the inside. If the fibreglass material shows damage, e.g. cracking, tearing or lifting of the fibreglass mat/cloth, I would take pictures and share with ETI and consider asking your repair shop to repair. It may need to be sanded down to remove the damaged area and new fibreglass cloth/resin applied to the inside along with new gelcoat on the outside.
The beds at the other end of the trailer, it's a dinette in a fifth wheel.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Not everyone has a 19, Gordon
Old 10-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you are stopping at the park, this is a good time of the month to see the Milky Way over the tower (limited moonlight). Here is a photo from the parking lot for the Joyner Ridge Trail (a left turn on the road to the Visitor Center & tower parking. For those interested in the technical details, Camera was a Nikon D700 with a 17 - 35mm f:2.8 lens at 17mm & f:2.8, 30 seconds & ISO 3200.

Even if you don't bring a camera, the view of the Milky Way & tower is impressive, and worth seeing!
Oj Jon, What a spectacularly shot! Thank you so much for the info! I don't have that lens but will take what I have out tomorrow night and see what I can get. I appreciate your generosity with info!

Old 10-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Gharper, Bob is right, I have a 5.0TA. The damage did not appear to penetrate the fiberglass on the outside but I'll sure take a peek under the bench. Thank you for your suggestion.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Thanks for having my back Bob!

Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Spectacular and swoon worthy Thanks for sharing Jon!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Oops, thought is was a 19.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote