Ouch! Someone backed into me! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Ouch! Someone backed into me!

Day 8 with my beautiful Wild Thing and I stop to get coffee at an Exxon station. Parked well away from everyone but some woman in a pickup truck managed to find me and back into the rear of the camper. Took out the light over the license plate damaged the exterior fiberglass gelcoat on the driver side and scraped the paint off the bumper. Heartbreaking!!! Thankfully she sought me out and gave me insurance information. I spoke to my Amica agent and she assures me it's covered. I'm looking for recommendations on the best type of place to look for to get the body work done. Should I look for a Marine/ Boat type Fiberglass shop? Those with experience please advise. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Oh, my gosh... Heartbreaking! Don't know where you could ttake it. Back to Chilliwack? I'm so sorry!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

I'm headed home to Massachusetts so we'll need to find someone in that area. I won't be back to the Chilliwack area until May of next year for the rally!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Folks usually recommend boat shops. I'd probably want to at least discuss with Reace, although it's not warranty work. He might have some construction-related tips to share...and then find a local boat shop.

So sorry about this!
Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Truly heartbreaking. I think it best to wait until you get home to get local recommendations on a marine/boat restorer who will make it look as good as new.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Poor WildThing!! Hope you are okay, seeing her hurt?
My suggestion: give ETI a call next week, send them pics, and ask what is best to do. Maybe they know where to go, or tell you it can wait till next May.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

Thanks all. I have sent an email with photos to Escape. I appreciate the help.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Careless people - ugh. Well, the good news is that any boat repair shop should be able to get her looking as good as new, and I'm assuming the other driver's insurance will cover it.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Careless people - ugh. Well, the good news is that any boat repair shop should be able to get her looking as good as new, and I'm assuming the other driver's insurance will cover it.
That's reassuring. Yes, her insurance should cover it. There should be some good boat repair shops around Boston.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Previous 19 owners; Now an LTV, Unity MB class B+
There are many reasons why we selected an Escape 19 for our first ever camper (completion 1/18), but a major reason we selected a fiberglass "Egg" type was not only for its apparent weather tight construction, but also for the ability to maintain it in a near new condition. I have been involved in the sale of plumbing and heating equipment all of my working career, and one thing I know - fiberglass bath bays and showers are regularly damaged. A good fiberglass repairman, or fiberglass boat repair shop as suggested above, can make it as good as new, even matching various manufacturer's colors. I am confident you will have no dificulty in finding someone to repair it to your satisfaction. Looking forward to seeing the "Wildthing" next week on your way through.
kwic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Find a good boat shop that is good at fiberglass repair...ask around at some marinas. looks like a pretty easy repair. Good Luck. Glad to see another 5.0TA in New England.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This damage makes my heart ache. Thank goodness the person that caused the damage stopped and reported. In today's life hit and run is more usual.

While the damage seems awful, and it is, it's only cosmetic and NOT structural. You can continue your trip and make great memories along the way.

I wish you well.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwic1 View Post
There are many reasons why we selected an Escape 19 for our first ever camper (completion 1/18), but a major reason we selected a fiberglass "Egg" type was not only for its apparent weather tight construction, but also for the ability to maintain it in a near new condition. I have been involved in the sale of plumbing and heating equipment all of my working career, and one thing I know - fiberglass bath bays and showers are regularly damaged. A good fiberglass repairman, or fiberglass boat repair shop as suggested above, can make it as good as new, even matching various manufacturer's colors. I am confident you will have no dificulty in finding someone to repair it to your satisfaction. Looking forward to seeing the "Wildthing" next week on your way through.
Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to meeting you next week as well.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Find a good boat shop that is good at fiberglass repair...ask around at some marinas. looks like a pretty easy repair. Good Luck. Glad to see another 5.0TA in New England.
Thanks Ean and Sue. I'm a Vermonter too..grew up in Alburg Springs. Still have a lot of family there and look forward to many happy trips to VT in Wild Thing. This is just a minor bump in the road.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This damage makes my heart ache. Thank goodness the person that caused the damage stopped and reported. In today's life hit and run is more usual.

While the damage seems awful, and it is, it's only cosmetic and NOT structural. You can continue your trip and make great memories along the way.

I wish you well.
Thank you so much Donna for your kind words. Your comments are reassuring. I'm not going to let this unfortunate scrape slow me down. I'm hiking up those big girl bloomers and getting in with it. Adventures await in Sundance WY tomorrow.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sorry to hear about this Sarah, adds a bit of a grey cloud over getting a brand new trailer.

Took a quick look on the internet, if you Google Gloucester Ma boat repairs you get a number of places. Might want to call ahead as this may be a busy time of year with everyone taking their boats out of the water for the winter. You only have a month or so before you want to head west again.

If the cracks go the whole way through the fiberglass you might put some duct tape over it till you get home, they make white if you can find it.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 E21
There are enough fiberglass cars out there that you can probably find an auto repair shop that can do a credible job on your trailer. For example, see Hollis Auto Body in your town. Not sure if they do fiberglass but they do aluminum, so there's a fair chance they might also do fiberglass or can point you in the right direction.

Having had major damage to my fiberglass boat, I can tell you that marine repair shops are no panacea.

And your insurance agent may be able to tell you of a credible shop (especially as the cost of the repair won't be coming out of your insurer's pocket).

FWIW.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Just to add- we had repair done on our previous 17b at a reputable boat shop - not to worry, they should be able to fix it you shouldn't be able to tell that it ever happened.
One thing I would suggest, Ask Escape about providing you with the gel coat paint to match the trailer. I think matching the exact " white" tint may be difficult for the repair shop, that's what we did.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Ouch, that is awful. But as many others have said, easily repairable in the right hands.

I agree with getting some insight from Escape, which may be just some little thing to watch for in the area, then let the pros do their thing.

And kudos to the driver that hit you for actually reporting this to you. All too many these days quickly duck out if they think they could avoid the cost and hassle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Good morning Sarah. I hope you feel somewhat better this morning. I think Chaptire had an excellent idea about asking ETI to provide the proper tint. So sorry this happened... BASTARDS!!!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote