Outside heater under the awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19’
Outside heater under the awning

I am looking for first hand experiences of anyone who has tried using a propane heater outside, under the awning in cool weather.

Shoulder season camping in the Northwest ofter incurs chilly, damp weather. I have toyed with the idea of using a propane heater under the awning inorder to be able to sit outside during mildly inclement weather. While one side of the brain says this might work well, the other side raises concern about torching or melting the awning.

Do any of you have any practical experience having tried using a heater under the awning in poor weather?

Mike R
Sailingmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Portable fire pit instead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmiker View Post
I am looking for first hand experiences of anyone who has tried using a propane heater outside, under the awning in cool weather.

Shoulder season camping in the Northwest ofter incurs chilly, damp weather. I have toyed with the idea of using a propane heater under the awning inorder to be able to sit outside during mildly inclement weather. While one side of the brain says this might work well, the other side raises concern about torching or melting the awning.

Do any of you have any practical experience having tried using a heater under the awning in poor weather?

Mike R
The tall propane patio heaters would not be a good choice, keeping the heat down low to the ground would be preferred. There are table top versions of the patio heaters but I would suggest a portable propane fire pit instead. You can sit beside it, lots of clearance to the awning and you can adjust the flame. Another option would be a portable radiant heater.
Having said that, if there is any wind, regardless of the type of heater, the heat gets blown away and you don't get a whole lot of useful heat off of the heater. Putting up sides to partially enclose the awning to keep the wind out and the heat in, is an option.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I have used the Outland Firebowl 870 Premium Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire Pit under the awning for a while camping at Quartzite. The weather was cold and windy - didn't seem to bother the fire pit any.

After it got really cold with the wind starting to whistle, I moved the fire pit inside our clam shelter leaving the door flap open - the awning wasn't going to handle that strong a wind anyway.

The fire pit really puts out heat and we enjoyed roasting marshmallows on it too.

https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Fireb.../dp/B00TNS8HMI
Old 11-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As Tom (tdf-texas) notes, while a fire pit works well inside a Clam or other enclosure where convection heating is the norm, it doesn't provide as much radiant heat (which is pretty much necessary under an open awning) as a tank top type such as one of these.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
For any gas heater, you should be able to find an "instructions" or "clearance" or "warning" label, that list clearances from other surfaces below, front, rear, sides, and (especially) above.
Our propane patio heater lists 24 inches all around, and 36 inches above for clearances. We are at about 40 inches to our fabric patio cover, so, are good.
Since it is a table model, I could use it under our Escape awning with all confidence, as long as it's a minimum 36 inches below it.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmiker View Post

Mike R
We have been camping all fall with a camp chef fire pit under our awning. It doesn’t heat the awning surface much at all. I have also used one of those Mr. Heater propane radiant heaters, and they are not a problem either.

In either case, the heat source is close to the ground and the heat dissapates enought as it rises. I’d be concerned about anything close to the awning itself (like one of those tall patio heaters with the radiant heat dish)
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)

We've had our BioLite FirePit underneath our awning in the rain many times. We usually start with charcoal to cook dinner and then switch to wood. The BioLite has perforations to heat your feet, something the Solo stove can't do.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
In the "old days"

Folks would often sit around a wood burning campfire, and enjoy the radiant heat of its embers. If it would rain, they would seek shelter.

Works for me.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Had a campfire at home last Saturday night. My daughter and her family were here. Had a social distance dinner outside on the deck. Then down to the Pilot Rock fire pit in the back yard. Burning ten year old white oak in 15 lb. pieces with a wind out of the SE at about
18 mph the campfire was burning pretty hot. As the fire burned down, my son in law would normally have been helping my daughter pack up to head home (about 35 miles) but the intense bed of glowing coals seemed to mesmerize him. I’m not sure if he’d ever experienced the wonder of the heat coming off of a deep bed of coals. He’s a very good cook. I think he was ready to take me up on it when I said “ Let’s get 6 Dutch ovens out and start cooking. Maybe next time. As it was, he left with a warm face and hands. Later, I sat there thinking of the announcements of the day and hoped for more campfires with friends and family in 2021. Then decided I’d have another shot of Maker’s Mark in a shot glass my mom collected when she traveled to every state in the Union. Here’s to a better 2021 with great campfires.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #10
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here’s to a better 2021 with great campfires.
Iowa Dave
Slangevar to you as I sip my glass of Grant's

And let us hope that all of us enjoy many more years beyond today.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Great story! I always enjoy them. I'm not a good story teller myself although I sometimes try with the kids and grandkids. I can see eyes starting to roll but I carry on.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You gotta dance like nobody is watching. I never roll my eyes, my mom said they could get stuck that way. I do turn my ball cap sideways once in a while when I think a goofy idea is being expressed. When I worked, and my Commissioner noticed, he would stop the meeting and say “looks like Dave has an opinion on this, how am I not surprised?” Haven’t worked for him for 13 years but we’re still very good friends.

We don’t all have to agree but we all have to be heard.

Iowa Dave
Old 11-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I also have an Outlands Firebowl that works well for generating some heat while sitting under the awning of my trailer. Another option that you could consider would be a propane fired construction heater. I use a small 35,000 BTU one like that shown in the pic so that I can work in sub-zero conditions, and it does put out a lot of heat!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have an Outland firepit, which is really meant more for ambience than for heat as it really does not produce a lot.

Nothing is better than a well built real fire. We sit around those many, many times a year, and often at temps around freezing. A blanket behind us on the chair, and a light jacket open to the heat and it is quite nice. If it is raining we put up a tarp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JR Awning.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	51873

Personally, I would not want the hassle of hauling another heat source around myself, but if it is something that works for others, good on them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Personally, I would not want the hassle of hauling another heat source around myself, but if it is something that works for others, good on them.
I agree. But here's the rub - the problem I have run into often is that a burn ban is in place and the propane fire pit is the only "fire pit" allowed. Or like Quartzite, firewood is hard to come by.

It's happened so often that now I carry the propane fire pit just in case.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

We've had our BioLite FirePit underneath our awning in the rain many times. We usually start with charcoal to cook dinner and then switch to wood. The BioLite has perforations to heat your feet, something the Solo stove can't do.

Enjoy,

Perry
I'd long regarded a propane fire pit as a sacrilege. However, with the summer burn bans we get with regularity in recent years, the propane camp chef has been the go to for us, especially once we converted it to the quick connect fitting.

We find ourselves using wood for backyard fires at home and propane while camping.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I agree. But here's the rub - the problem I have run into often is that a burn ban is in place and the propane fire pit is the only "fire pit" allowed. Or like Quartzite, firewood is hard to come by.

It's happened so often that now I carry the propane fire pit just in case.
I am carrying my gas firepit for when I need it, though it doesn't get very much use. Nice for a small group to socials around. Just don't think I would carry an additional heater is all.

Down on the Baja I had my first cactus campfire on the beach. Burned fairly fast, but was kinda cool. Though my sister in law did get a scorpion bite that night from one we unknowingly brought from Quartzsite. It was wrapped in a will chair blanket. [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote