outside light not working - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
outside light not working

I have 2018 Escape 21, love the trailer, but having issues with the outside lights. I have the normal door light, plus optional lights added to front, back and dirver side. trailer is over 4 years old, and the back and driver side lights started acting up, maybe 1 year ago.

I did some research and ordered 2 replacements. my new replacement lights look exactly the same on outside, but different screw pattern, so had to drill some new holes in side of trailer, bummer. driver side went on OK, but rear is not getting current after I pulled off the old light body. I originally had current because sparked a little when I was taking it off, my bad. I doubt it shorted anything out, because the same happen on the driver side install, and all is working well that location.

I think maybe I pulled the wire a little too much or drilled into the wiring, don't know, but not getting current now. what to do?, any ideas on replacing the original wiring?, looks like difficult job because wiring is obviously under the vinyl siding on the inside back of the trailer.

any comments welcomed. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
was blown fuse, easy fix haha cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You only get one little zzzzzzt and you’re done. Those little fuses don’t take much to blow. By the time you say whoops, you’re done. If you pull the fuse before working on stuff they say it won’t happen. I have stock in the Littlefuse corp. so I feel like it’s perpetual motion.
(Just Kidding).
Iowa Dave
Old 10-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
You only get one little zzzzzzt and you’re done. Those little fuses don’t take much to blow. By the time you say whoops, you’re done. If you pull the fuse before working on stuff they say it won’t happen. I have stock in the Littlefuse corp. so I feel like it’s perpetual motion.
(Just Kidding).
Iowa Dave
Our local farm store sells the blue 15 amp fuses in two sized packages. I always opt for the 25 pack.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Paul, Paul, Paul......

Calm down. You sound a bit like a nattering nabob of negativism.

I'm hopeful.

I only buy the 15 pack of fuses. My supply is diminished too.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have a spray can (actually 2 cans) of a product called Deoxit, which I purchased from Amazon. Expensive, but it goes a long way. I use it periodically on the contacts of the 7-pin connector, both male and female. I have found it very helpful when the cheaply made switches on the outside lights will no longer turn the light on. I spray a small amount into the switch through the narrow slits around the rocker, let it set for 2 or 3 minutes, and then repeatedly operate the switch. This procedure has “fixed” all three of my outdoor lights at various times over the last 4 years or so. Moisture can seep into the switches when traveling in the rain or just from being outside in humid (dew) conditions. Deoxit has worked miraculously for me; YMMV.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19
Outside lights not working

I had a similar problem with the outside lights not working. If the bulb is good with no corrosion, the problem is generally the rocker switch under the light. It is not waterproof. I used electrical contact cleaner in a spray can and sprayed it into the switch on each side as G&G in FL described. I held a piece of cardboard up against the camper to avoid any damage to the gelcoat. Turn it off and on a few times after spraying. Repeat as necessary.
When I was done, I sprayed a little WD-40 in the switch to hopefully protect it from moisture going forward.
Iowa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 04:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I find the outside switch unnecessary and don't use them. On both my 19 and 21 I opened the light up, jumped the leads and eliminated the switch. Outside switches that habitually get wet aren't reliable and I want total control of exterior lighting inside the trailer, not outside.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I find the outside switch unnecessary and don't use them. On both my 19 and 21 I opened the light up, jumped the leads and eliminated the switch. Outside switches that habitually get wet aren't reliable and I want total control of exterior lighting inside the trailer, not outside.

Ron
Any idea what year they started placing an indoor switch for the outdoor lights? Just curious. I don't think I have that feature on my 2012.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Don't know, my 2014 E19 had an interior switch by the door.

The wiring thing that I found most strange is that while there was a center light right over the bed, as well as the under cabinet lights, there wasn't a center light directly over the table. Ended up installing one myself.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 12:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
That’s funny. The early trailers only had the outside switch on the light. When I bought the motion activated Starlights Smart Light I had to open it up to ADD a switch.