Outside stove vent fell out - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2024, 10:18 PM   #21
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Hey, one of my tabs came out and is long gone. The other tab no longer stays in place on the flap; maybe the Krylon paint was too slick or something. So the flap freely flaps during travel. I don't want to lose the flap; is that a real danger? Does anyone have an idea how to add a new tab without removing or replacing the entire assembly (like Alf did)?
Yeah, the tabs are long gone on the stove vent on my trailer too. I have a roll of Gaffer tape and just use a strip to tape the flap down while under tow. The roll of tape should last my lifetime....
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:52 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, the tabs are long gone on the stove vent on my trailer too. I have a roll of Gaffer tape and just use a strip to tape the flap down while under tow. The roll of tape should last my lifetime....
I only use the fan to vent steam when brewing coffee, or on the very rare occasion that we use the stove. Both of the tabs on my vent are intact, but when it is not in use or when traveling, I do something similar to Donna. I have a thin piece of upholstery foam cut to fit that I slide up into the housing. It is held in place by compression. Not only does it protect the flapper, but it provides a degree of insulation when it is in place. Without it, vent is really a source of cold air infiltration when temperatures dip.
__________________
What a long strange trip itís been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:00 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
HABBERDABBER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison area, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Posts: 1,799
Time to unspool some duct tape

Some tape should keep the flap in place during transport, and can be removed during use. I'd suggest replacing the vent as I'm not sure it can be easily repaired.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:06 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Some tape should keep the flap in place during transport, and can be removed during use. I'd suggest replacing the vent as I'm not sure it can be easily repaired.
They are cheap to buy and easy to replace. Do a couple searches here on the forum and you should be able to find all the info you need to replace the whole range vent.

I defintiely recommend replacing the old Ventline, which tends to deteriorate and get brittle, with the JR Products type shown in Post #5. If Amazon doesn't have them I found they were quite common at online RV supply stores.

Don't sweat it if the JR Products vent is not available. I ordered one but was shipped a different brand of the same vent, which was identical.

If it helps, here is my expereince replacing mine.
__________________
Lyle
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:20 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA, Texas
Trailer: 21
Posts: 656
The flap snaps in and out. Amazon does have some replacement flaps and I’ve seen them at camping world. Or buy the whole unit if one cannot find exact make of flap and just change out the flap instead of the whole unit
__________________
REMEBER PEEPS WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND and PAYBACK is a #%$&$&
Rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:15 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2012 E19
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
The flap snaps in and out. Amazon does have some replacement flaps and I’ve seen them at camping world. Or buy the whole unit if one cannot find exact make of flap and just change out the flap instead of the whole unit
My (Ventline) flap doesn't snap, it just flaps freely. In fact, if the remaining side piece isn't on, it flaps audibly when I close the trailer door with all windows closed... which reminds me to secure it once again, for all the good it will do until the one remaining side piece slips down again.
__________________
Losing weight puts one at much greater risk of becoming thin.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:18 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2012 E19
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
They are cheap to buy and easy to replace. Do a couple searches here on the forum and you should be able to find all the info you need to replace the whole range vent.

I defintiely recommend replacing the old Ventline, which tends to deteriorate and get brittle, with the JR Products type shown in Post #5. If Amazon doesn't have them I found they were quite common at online RV supply stores.

Don't sweat it if the JR Products vent is not available. I ordered one but was shipped a different brand of the same vent, which was identical.

If it helps, here is my expereince replacing mine.
Hmm, you make it sound easy. But I've read other people's posts saying that the old one was a real bugger to get unstuck from the trailer, and that the screw holes did not line up. I was surprised to read in your post that the holes lined up just fine for you! I wonder if I could be so lucky.
__________________
Losing weight puts one at much greater risk of becoming thin.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:22 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2012 E19
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, the tabs are long gone on the stove vent on my trailer too. I have a roll of Gaffer tape and just use a strip to tape the flap down while under tow. The roll of tape should last my lifetime....
Hmm, would you think some of the blue painter's tape would work, too? (Assuming you have ever used it, and can compare.)

Honestly, I use the range hood fan so seldom, any tape might be on there for months if I went that route!
__________________
Losing weight puts one at much greater risk of becoming thin.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:24 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Posts: 747
You can compare the holes on old and new before you begin to be sure they line up.

It is a bit of work getting the old one off but itís definitely doable.
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:43 PM   #30
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Hmm, would you think some of the blue painter's tape would work, too? (Assuming you have ever used it, and can compare.)
I've found blue painters tape to be evil if it gets wet. Leaves residue and actually drips blue liquid. Remember, it's only a temporary use tape. I have and do use it, but never where it could possibly stain the gel coat on my trailer. YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:29 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2012 E19
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've found blue painters tape to be evil if it gets wet. Leaves residue and actually drips blue liquid. Remember, it's only a temporary use tape. I have and do use it, but never where it could possibly stain the gel coat on my trailer. YMMV
Thanks, that kills the painter's tape idea for sure. Gaffer tape sounds much better.
__________________
Losing weight puts one at much greater risk of becoming thin.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:20 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2012 E19
Posts: 1,793
Update: I have read several threads and comments. The Endura replacement was said by one person to be a more difficult fit on his older style Escape body because its greater curvature didn't play well with the Endura's continuous hinge. Between that and the thought of dremeling the opening to enlarge it, I decided against that vent.

I found a Ventline vent in black, V2111, with the 5/8" inside protrusion, and ordered it so at least I'll have it on hand. A mobile home supply place in Michigan, Mobile Home Depot, had it on their website.

I have thought of a way to keep the lock levers from falling down. If I glue a little piece of something onto the flap just below where the lever is horizontal, the lever would only be able to swivel up (when I want it to do so), not swivel down from vibration and gravity. Of course mine is already missing one of the levers, so the other lever might pop out soon also. But I might even do that to the new Ventline if the levers begin to move by themselves.
__________________
Losing weight puts one at much greater risk of becoming thin.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.