Parking with a tight turn - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGlen View Post
We have a Trailer Valet XL hand-crank device, and it seemed as if it would handle our Escape 19 - we must do a 180 degree turn of the 19 foot trailer in our 22 foot wide driveway, while unhitched from the truck.

While the Trailer Valet video would have had us believe that it was possible, it has turned out to be a hassle every time: from the resistance provided by the dual axles of the 19 against the Valet, the difficulty in tightening the ball into the receiver, difficulty wrestling the TValet into an upright position and poor results with our motorizing the hand-crank. We even blew out one of the inner tubes in the TValet two weeks ago from the stress on the tires when moving our E19. (We replaced the inner tubes with tubeless.)

I can't imagine using it on a slope. So... I suggest something motorized, perhaps with a "T" handle to make it more steady. I look forward to hearing what others have done to move their trailers.

Best of luck in your search,

David
Pittsburgh, PA
My experience with the Trailer Valet is similar. I must make a tight turn from my 21's parking spot. The Valet wants to bend the coupler lip because of the high force required to turn dual axles. My solution was to use a 2' extension with my hitch temporarily to get the trailer turned. I don't think a powered dolly would have worked either. It takes a lot of omf to turn double axles. Single would propably be fine.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #22

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Perhaps you could get two or four of these dollies to make the 90 degree turn easier.
https://www.harborfreight.com/5200-l...lly-64601.html

After removing the dollies you could perhaps then use an electric remote control winch to pull the trailer into the parking spot via the bike rack receiver hitch that some Escapes have. The winch could be mounted on the receiver hitch and powered by the trailer battery. You would need a strong point or post, perhaps with another angled post on the back to resist bending loads to attach the winch cable. This is an example.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2500-l...rol-61840.html

Getting the trailer out should be easier, they pull pretty well and the slope will help.

Your best bet may be to move the retaining wall back 12 feet or so and add some articulated gates to make a wide opening. Then you simply parallel park your trailer. Much easier to park and pull out, and much safer for you. You would also not be rushed by neighbors wanting to use the alley. You need the parking spot to be wide to allow for the trailer back end to swing into place.

If it is difficult to use your trailer, you may not use it as much. A parking spot for a trailer or boat in the alley may increase your home resale value.

I parallel park my trailer behind wide gates, my set up is different but the concept is the same.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
My 19 is probably the largest I can squeeze through my winding slopped driveway but in order to turn the trailer I’m using the Parkit360 B3 10k. It is powerful enough to take the double axle trailer through some very sharp turns. As for using it on a slope the limit is more traction of the dolly wheels. Call Parkit360 and explain your situation, they may have a solution for you.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The other solution (in addition to novel tow vehicles, and powered tongue-mounted dollies) is a set of motors driving one pair of wheels. These are readily available in Europe (where they are typically called "caravan movers") but very uncommon here.

Caravan movers avoid traction problems on slopes (because the work with the weight on the tires, not just the tongue) and the remote allows you to stand wherever you need to so you can see where you are driving the trailer.

As I recall, Laura and Dirk tried the Purple Line movers, and I think someone else was planning to use them as well; perhaps they will comment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Although we only have a 17B, we have the wheel that goes on the bottom of the crank down foot.
We can easily turn and push the trailer into our parking spot in the city.
I don't even bother trying to back it in.
I did it first as a joke, in a parking lot, and found out that it worked fantastically better.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Try doing that with a tandem axle trailer and you won't think that it's a joke.

Huge difference in the ease of turning a single axle vrs. a tandem axle.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The other solution (in addition to novel tow vehicles, and powered tongue-mounted dollies) is a set of motors driving one pair of wheels. These are readily available in Europe (where they are typically called "caravan movers") but very uncommon here.

Caravan movers avoid traction problems on slopes (because the work with the weight on the tires, not just the tongue) and the remote allows you to stand wherever you need to so you can see where you are driving the trailer.

As I recall, Laura and Dirk tried the Purple Line movers, and I think someone else was planning to use them as well; perhaps they will comment.
Brian Laura was going that route with the Purple Line but decided against and never did . I was curious about the system myself but it went to the wayside . I guess because not used much here but looks like a great idea . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian Laura was going that route with the Purple Line but decided against and never did . I was curious about the system myself but it went to the wayside . I guess because not used much here but looks like a great idea . Pat
Also curious about the Parkit 360 . I have to push our trailer up the street then turn into driveway with a incline going between rolling gate and cement block walls on each side . The driveway is concrete . ? Pat
Old 08-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Try doing that with a tandem axle trailer and you won't think that it's a joke.

Huge difference in the ease of turning a single axle vrs. a tandem axle.

Ron

Check out this then;
https://traxpowerdolly.com/
Old 08-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The comment was in relation to using the nose wheel of a single axle trailer and the ease of pivoting it. Yup, head down a dead end logging road with my Scamp, unhitch, spin it around and I'm good to go.

However the nose wheel is virtually useless with the tandem. Yes, a good powered dolly can make all the difference in the world. But there seems to be a bit difference in their design and some still would struggle with the job.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Also curious about the Parkit 360 . I have to push our trailer up the street then turn into driveway with a incline going between rolling gate and cement block walls on each side . The driveway is concrete . ? Pat
I bought the Parkit 360 four years ago when I got my 19. While it works, I still don't think it's ideal, and I only use it when absolutely necessary. For one thing, you must pay close attention to having the ball secured VERY well, or it will pull out. The torque is substantial, as it must be, and puts a lot of pressure on the handle. You need to be attentive with a good grip lest it be pulled out of your hands. My driveway is flat, so can't speak to the slope it would handle, but I wouldn't want to try too much slope, or on any graveled surface.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Maybe a remote controlled tracked dolly is the answer (if you are not squeamish about the $6k price tag)?

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Valet...M4W924KXFFKPD1

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
However the nose wheel is virtually useless with the tandem.

Ron

Jack wheel is virtually useless on anything but smooth concrete even with a single axle. Just digs a hole for itself.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I bought the Parkit 360 four years ago when I got my 19. While it works, I still don't think it's ideal, and I only use it when absolutely necessary. For one thing, you must pay close attention to having the ball secured VERY well, or it will pull out. The torque is substantial, as it must be, and puts a lot of pressure on the handle. You need to be attentive with a good grip lest it be pulled out of your hands. My driveway is flat, so can't speak to the slope it would handle, but I wouldn't want to try too much slope, or on any graveled surface.
Thankyou Robert for the quick response . I may have trouble besides the incline with the grip due to my right arm injury so I guess not . Laura had the trax for awhile but doesn’t anymore . Maybe except for what is used in Europe I just have to keep doing what I am doing . Funny thing when I got home after the injury I was able to just get the trailer in , even surprised my neighbor . Linda can’t do it and I guess I just coukdn’t Worry about it and it was done . Pat
Old 08-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Maybe a remote controlled tracked dolly is the answer (if you are not squeamish about the $6k price tag)?

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Valet...M4W924KXFFKPD1
Actually for an Escape you could get the smaller model, one for 5500# and another for 3500# both with less tongue weight, possible the lighter one for a 19 ($4k) and the medium one for a 21 ($5k)
Old 08-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
To address both the traction problem and the tandem axle scrub problem, when using a power dolly the tongue could be raised as high as practical - that will transfer load from the leading axle (so the leading tires will scrub sideways more easily) to the trailing axle and the dolly (which then would have more traction). Unfortunately, the attachment of most of these dollies to the trailer via the coupler is problematic even at the normal height.

Quote:
Brian Laura was going that route with the Purple Line but decided against and never did .
Thanks, Pat.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I think one of these under the tires on one axle would allow a two axle trailer to turn as tight, and perhaps almost as easy, as a single axle trailer when used on a hard surface.
https://www.harborfreight.com/5200-l...lly-64601.html
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
We have a very tight parking spot behind our house. Using the much shorter length Honda Element to place the trailer is MUCH easier than my F150. Obviously not rated to go up and down the street.

You can barely see our usual tow vehicle in the background.

I thought seriously about putting a hitch on the back of my lawn tractor.

I've also had my yard graded. It is amazing what a person on a skid steer can do in a day.

Escape 19 Behind Element by wrk101, on Flickr
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually for an Escape you could get the smaller model, one for 5500# and another for 3500# both with less tongue weight, possible the lighter one for a 19 ($4k) and the medium one for a 21 ($5k)
I hope you are kidding ? Too pricey for my budget . Pat
Old 08-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I hope you are kidding ? Too pricey for my budget . Pat
as an alternate to paying $2-3,000 year off site storage or even spending money for front hitch or trailer mover, just opens the choices