Partial Electrical Failure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Partial Electrical Failure

I’m having an electrical challenge. I’m hooked up to campground power and all started ok. I have the Progressive ems installed at the factory in my 2014 Escape 19. While using my microwave, the power cut off. The converter is still charging my batteries and the one outlet below the table is ok. All other outlets are dead. I have 12volt power to fridge, but not 110 power to it. I’ve checked all fuses as well as reset my outside gfi. The ems shows E0 which is normal. Any ideas?
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Do you have the option that includes inverter with power to all outlets?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Did you reset the GFCI below the kitchen counter?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Did you reset the GFCI below the kitchen counter?
Donna: I wonder when they started adding a second GFI outlet below the counter. Our 2010 only has the exterior GFI that is wired upstream of some of the interior outlets for protection. I was leaning away from the GFI as cause because the power is dead to the microwave and fridge. These typically would not be wired on a GFI protected circuit.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Donna: I wonder when they started adding a second GFI outlet below the counter.
Don't know. The OP has a 2014 trailer and so do I. There's a GFCI below the kitchen counter in my trailer that's why I mentioned it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #6

Yes on inverter with all outlets wired to it.I do have the inverter with transfer switch to all outlets. I only have the gfi outside.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #7

I have an outlet to the left of the kitchen counter, but no gfi there. My unit was completed on January 2, 2014.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You might check the 30 amp breaker in the WFCO panel that feeds the inverter, however it is more likely that one of the 15 amp breakers in the sub panel has tripped. I'm not sure where the sub panel is located in a 19; in the 21 it is under the dinette seating.

If the breakers are good, look for a loose wire, particularly if you smelled cooking insulation...
Old 01-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Yes on inverter with all outlets wired to it.I do have the inverter with transfer switch to all outlets. I only have the gfi outside.
Ok, There is a small breaker box under your dinette that has two breakers in it. Escape wires the microwave, fridge, and some of the outlets all on one breaker - that would be the one that is tripped. Reset it and your power should be back.

I changed my trailer to have four breakers instead of two for this very reason. I was using the microwave at the same time my wife was using a hair blower - pop went the breaker.

ps. I know everyone is tired of hearing this - but NEC code says the microwave MUST be on a separate (dedicated) breaker. The microwave powered along with other devices is a violation of code.
Attached Thumbnails
Breaker box.jpg  
Old 01-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
See posts 8 & 9 above. That's exactly where I was going by asking about the inverter. You need to find your subpanel with the two 15A breakers.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #11

Thanks - that did it. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
AC breaker box

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Ok, There is a small breaker box under your dinette that has two breakers in it. Escape wires the microwave, fridge, and some of the outlets all on one breaker - that would be the one that is tripped. Reset it and your power should be back.

I changed my trailer to have four breakers instead of two for this very reason. I was using the microwave at the same time my wife was using a hair blower - pop went the breaker.

ps. I know everyone is tired of hearing this - but NEC code says the microwave MUST be on a separate (dedicated) breaker. The microwave powered along with other devices is a violation of code.
Hello tdf-texas,
I have the same problem that the breaker tripped when I used Microwave plus another AC outlet. I would like to wire the Microwave on a separate breaker. My breaker box looked like yours from ETI, but has a slot for 2 breakers. Do I need to buy a bigger breaker box to fit 3 or 4 breakers? If I convert 2 breakers to 4 and use microwave plus 2 or more AC outlets, would the electricity draw cause the 30 Amp cable plug into shore power to be overheated? please help .

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
If I convert 2 breakers to 4 and use microwave plus 2 or more AC outlets, would the electricity draw cause the 30 Amp cable plug into shore power to be overheated?
Changing the number of circuit breakers, and thus the number of circuits, doesn't by itself change the amount of electricity used. If you plug in and use more stuff at the same time, you can exceed the 30 amp rating of the shore power cable and the corresponding main breaker... but you can easily do that in the stock trailer without adding any circuits - just the microwave, the water heater (on AC power), and one other appliance can add up to more than 30 amps.

As long as you don't use more current than the 30 amp main breaker allows, overheating of the shore power cable is not a problem (although with a continuous 30 amps it could get warm, and should not be left coiled up).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #14

Quote:
I would like to wire the Microwave on a separate breaker. My breaker box looked like yours from ETI, but has a slot for 2 breakers. Do I need to buy a bigger breaker box to fit 3 or 4 breakers?
I don’t want to speak for Tom but I’m sure he just used two tandem breakers in the stock box.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-BD...1515/100130719
Old 01-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Changing the number of circuit breakers, and thus the number of circuits, doesn't by itself change the amount of electricity used. If you plug in and use more stuff at the same time, you can exceed the 30 amp rating of the shore power cable and the corresponding main breaker... but you can easily do that in the stock trailer without adding any circuits - just the microwave, the water heater (on AC power), and one other appliance can add up to more than 30 amps.

As long as you don't use more current than the 30 amp main breaker allows, overheating of the shore power cable is not a problem (although with a continuous 30 amps it could get warm, and should not be left coiled up).
Brian B_P,
Thanks for the info. My electrical knowledge is limited and ask elementary electrical questions. I will be mindful as to the amount of Amp draw of appliances used, if I install a third circuit breaker.
Tonny LR
Old 01-07-2021, 08:35 PM   #16

Quote:
I don’t want to speak for Tom but I’m sure he just used two tandem breakers in the stock box.
rubicon327,
Thanks for your response. I looked at Tom's breaker box again and it clearly showed 4 15 Amp circuit breakers in one slot. I was wondering how he fitted 4 breakers in one slot.

Tonny LR
Old 01-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #17

Quote:
You are almost correct!

Since Canada doesn't follow the same electrical codes as NEC, the breaker box Escape installed in my trailer is a non-CTL box. (illegal in the US since 1965) That big Canadian maple leaf should have been a hint - I bought the ones you linked at first and had to take them back.

So I had to install two non-CTL 15 amp tandem breakers.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-BR...1515/100121768
Old 01-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #18

Quote:
rubicon327,
Thanks for your response. I looked at Tom's breaker box again and it clearly showed 4 15 Amp circuit breakers in one slot. I was wondering how he fitted 4 breakers in one slot.

Tonny LR
Two tandem 15 amp breakers fit in the same slot space as the two 15 amp breakers you have now. Tandems gives you four breakers in the space of two.

Just make sure that the ones you buy are non-CTL. The CTL ones everyone uses in the US won't fit.

When you open the breaker box (with power off the trailer of course), you will probably find that the circuits have been pigtailed so all you have to do is remove the pigtails and separate the circuits onto the four breakers. That' what I found when I rewired my box.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #19

Circuit breakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Two tandem 15 amp breakers fit in the same slot space as the two 15 amp breakers you have now. Tandems gives you four breakers in the space of two.

Just make sure that the ones you buy are non-CTL. The CTL ones everyone uses in the US won't fit.

When you open the breaker box (with power off the trailer of course), you will probably find that the circuits have been pigtailed so all you have to do is remove the pigtails and separate the circuits onto the four breakers. That' what I found when I rewired my box.
Hello Tom,
Thank you for your electrical mod instructions. your info is very helpful. I followed your posting daily and thank you for your valuable contribution to this forum.
Tonny LR
Old 01-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Hello Tom,
Thank you for your electrical mod instructions. your info is very helpful. I followed your posting daily and thank you for your valuable contribution to this forum.
Tonny LR
You're more than welcome! But I am just one of the contributors that make this forum a place for trailer owners to find information. There are a number of technical experts here - it's amazing the wealth of knowledge the group possesses.