Perpetual electrical issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Perpetual electrical issues

We picked up our 2017 Escape 5.0TA in the summer of 2018 and drove it back to Maine, using it that summer problem free. The summer of 2019, when opened up would not charge.......the high tech Progressive surge protector had to be replaced. We got that fixed at our cost (although Progressive did send me one after we fixed it). Now this May again wont charge, im thinking surge protector again.....take it to local service department (100 miles away) and now find out the dual high tech batteries are no good, have no fluid in them and need to be replaced..........is anyone else having these issues, any warranty coverage at all?
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
How often had you been adding water to your batteries? Seems pretty unusual for them to be completely out of water, that would certainly ruin them. I've found with ours that topping up the water twice a year has been adequate so far.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
We picked up our 2017 Escape 5.0TA in the summer of 2018 and drove it back to Maine, using it that summer problem free. The summer of 2019, when opened up would not charge.......the high tech Progressive surge protector had to be replaced. We got that fixed at our cost (although Progressive did send me one after we fixed it). Now this May again wont charge, im thinking surge protector again.....take it to local service department (100 miles away) and now find out the dual high tech batteries are no good, have no fluid in them and need to be replaced..........is anyone else having these issues, any warranty coverage at all?
Uh, the batteries have no fluid in them? You do know that you are supposed to top off the batteries with distilled water about every six months.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #4

Nope was never informed of that
Old 06-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is in the owners manual I'm sure. Do you check you car battery and oil.? The trailer is no different and has routine maintenance requirements.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #6

Trailer: none
There 3 years old batteries, pretty good for no maintenance .
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
With all due respect, this appears to not be an electrical problem but a lack of knowledge as to what needs maintenance. Michael, I do hope you are waxing your trailer at least once a year if stored under cover, twice a year if not. If you don’t, the surface of the fiberglass will oxidize and ultimately appear chalky, like a fiberglass boat perpetually exposed to UV rays from the sun. And you need to check the anode in the water heater a minimum of annually to make sure it still has reactive material (aluminum or magnesium). Propane, smoke, and CO detectors need to be maintained and the refrigerator requires periodic service. I would suggest you but a book that discusses RV maintenance. I don’t know if they ever published one but something like (Subject) for Dummies. That series of books does not get too technical but provides basic information on the given subject. While you may never perform maintenance on the refrigerator, knowing how it works and what needs to be serviced is helpful. And the following four words say it all: Nothing is maintenance free!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Now this May again wont charge, im thinking surge protector again.....take it to local service department (100 miles away) and now find out the dual high tech batteries are no good, have no fluid in them and need to be replaced..
"High tech" batteries? Did you special-order something? The dual battery option from Escape provides completely traditional (very low-tech) flooded lead-acid batteries.

The battery issue may result from most people becoming accustomed to automotive batteries which no longer typically require electrolyte level maintenance, and assuming that their trailer batteries would be the same. Unfortunately, trailers sit on a "float" charge much of the time and tend to lose electrolyte, requiring occasional addition of distilled water. I find that with an RV battery connected to a charger which is almost continually plugged in I still only need to add water once every year or two, but in other climates this may be different.

The current owner's manual includes this:
Quote:
To inspect the electrolyte level, remove the vent covers and visually ascertain the electrolyte level in each cell. Using a small flashlight may help. If the level needs to be replenished in any or all cells, carefully pour in distilled water only. DO NOT OVERFILL, LEAVE ROOM FOR EXPANSION Never use acid or tap water. Tap water contains minerals and chemical impurities that will permanently damage the battery. Besides maintaining the electrolyte level, visually inspect the battery for loose terminals, corrosion, or any damage to the vent covers or case. Tighten any loose clamps on the terminals of the battery and clean any corrosion off the terminals.
It doesn't specify an interval for level checks, but clearly they are required, anyone who doesn't know how frequently is appropriate could check with Escape Trailer Industries, and at least once a year would be obvious.

The Escape warranty has expired on this trailer, and any warranty from the battery supplier would presumably be void due to the lack of proper maintenance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #9

I will own it and yes missed the battery maintenance issue......as to my car battery, I never check that, my garage does.......thank you for your suggestions, it will improve my understanding, which this site is all about
Old 06-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #10

"Perpetual electrical issues"?

I don't understand how two problems, each occurring just once, and the second one being the result of a lack of maintenance, could reasonably be considered to be "perpetual electrical issues".
Old 06-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
I will own it and yes missed the battery maintenance issue......as to my car battery, I never check that, my garage does.......thank you for your suggestions, it will improve my understanding, which this site is all about

I think this brings up a good point: most people expect to take their car in for regular service; if they use a competent shop all of the routine items will be covered even if the customer just asks for an oil change, and if they do it themselves they probably understand what is required. Since a trailer doesn't have a maintenance-intensive engine, it is very easy to forget that any maintenance is required at all.

I have a trailer which hasn't been used for years, as we have needed to use a motorhome instead. I'm sure that if I went out to use the trailer today I would need to replace the battery and spend a day on inspection and minor repairs to catch up on what I haven't been doing.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
If you not into battery maintenance. I would suggest going to AGM battery as a replacement
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
If you not into battery maintenance. I would suggest going to AGM battery as a replacement

Even AGM batteries need to be charged ( which is maintenance ) .
Old 06-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Even AGM batteries need to be charged ( which is maintenance ) .

I guess you got me there... but might help with the dry cell problem.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A lot can be said for yearly inspections for road worthiness as well as yearly rv inspections for operating systems.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I think failures often happen due to neglect. Neglect is a harsh word but there’s also a huge variation in backgrounds of trailer owners, boat and car owners, homeowners, you name it. Those of us with a heavy maintenance background especially from the high maintenance automobile days (1,000 mile oil changes, adjustable brakes, grease zerks and on and on think that the really minimal attention to our trailers is reasonable and nearly an automatic part of ownership. Others with much less experience and the tendency to not read the manuals and not enjoying discussing maintenance as an engaging topic of conversation with other owners are bound to run into trouble. I can’t be too critical of the original poster, I’ve missed things too. I broke something once because I didn’t know how to take it apart. I said “ Experience is the best teacher” and my brother added. “But only a fool needs it” He always was a lippy little rodent.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #17
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I broke something once because I didn’t know how to take it apart. I said “ Experience is the best teacher” and my brother added. “But only a fool needs it” He always was a lippy little rodent.
Iowa Dave
Wait, you really only broke something ONCE because you didn't know how to take it apart? I wish I could say that.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Breakage

Well maybe it was more than once. Since then I’ve become more adept at disassembly. Reassembly, well that’s why I have another brother who is not a smart ——. He calls me pretty often. If my wife answers the phone, she usually has a fix it question for him. That means I’ll see him in about 2 hours. This pandemic is cutting into our beer drinking.
Iowa Dave