PEX fitting selection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2022, 09:24 PM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
PEX fitting selection

I need to add a shutoff valve on a PEX line under the bed on our E19. Given the location, getting a PEX crimper in there seems challenging without removing mattress and part of the bed platform. Alternatively, has anyone use this fitting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M94NXX

It appears to be simple to install and functional.

thanks
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
I have used similar push to connect fittings from Watts and Sharkbite for Pex lines with no leakage after proper installation. This one looks good, too. I know some people claim travel vibrations may loosen such fittings, but I’ve got over 50K miles since installation with no problems. The key is to really push them together hard to seal them properly.
KevinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
And make sure that the cuts are nice and square.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm sure it would do just fine. The key to its' likely suitability is "approved for in-the-wall" use. There used to be similar connectors that weren't approved.

I've used similar connectors as well as Watts and aqua-dynamic etc. and never had an issue. Didn't trust them when they first came out but now I've come to love them and Pex piping. The quick connectors sometimes have saved the day when I just couldn't get my crimper into an awkward tight spot.

And, yes, use a proper pex cutter for a nice square cut.

And I agree with having secondary stops. In the event of a problem not having one and having to shut down the whole system is a real nuisance.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:03 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I'm not sure I trust sharkbites with the vibration of a trailer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE
MVA - You say getting a crimper into the space might be difficult. I agree. When I had to do it, I about tore my hair out trying to figure out how to do it and decided to use brass fittings and double stainless hose clamps to avoid expense of buying the crimper/cincher tool plus I could do it in a more restricted work area. That was a bad idea. I flooded the trailer, tried again and flooded the trailer again. Wasted a lot of time.

I looked at the sharkbite and for various reasons decided I didn't want to use them. I bought a cincher to use stainless steel clamps like Escape used on my trailer. I did not go with the crimper and copper rings. Standard PEX crimpers are generally larger than the cincher. The cincher can get into smaller places and doesn't have to go around the clamp.

The cinch and the sharkbite type connections have to be done carefully to make sure the tubes are cut square and inserted accurately. The cinch must be done carefully to not misalign the clamp or accidentally move the tube on the fitting when cinching. I think it is easiest for inexperienced people to make good connections in a comfortable work space.

In other words, it might be best to make the work space easy to work in by removing the mattress and possibly a piece of the plywood.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have used many hundreds of SharkBite and similar fittings with good success. My primary use of them is during renovations for temporary plumbing as they are easy to remove and use again. Caps are one thing I have used many, many times each. As well, although I have all the skills and tools to sweat copper fittings on, I usually opt with using a SharkBite coupler to save setup time. I too was a bit skeptical of them when they first came out but now trust them.

I have 3 PEX crimpers I use, the standard 12+" 1/2 & 3/4 ones, a smaller 8" tops 1/2" one and a small 3"x4" block that is split in two, hinged with the clamping hold in-between and has a clamping bolt attached that I can use on 1/2" in real small spaces. The latter one takes a bit more time to use but is sure nice to have on the rare occasions it is needed.

For an entire house plumbing project I would never consider SharkBite type connectors as the cost would be terrible, instead I buy the PEX fittings and crimp rings in the bulk containers. Of course, many folks don't plumb to this extent.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I've used press-on (aka 'shark bite'), copper crimp ring, and SS PEX clamps for PEX fittings over the years. I've never had any of them fail (all can be found rated for in-wall use).

Note that "Shark Bite" is a brand name, and that company/brand offers all three PEX fastening systems I mention under the Shark Bite brand.

FWIW I've evolved to totally rely on Stainless Steel PEX Clamps and brass fittings with the NSF 'lead free' designation.
  • SS PEX Clamps only require access to one side for the tool (as opposed to the bulky-at-the-fitting 'fully surrounding' PEX Copper Crimp Ring tool)
  • SS PEX Clamps provide a positive indication of placement without need for use of a verification gauge as with PEX Copper Crimp Rings (which can sometimes present its own access issues)
  • SS PEX Clamps can be removed without damaging the underlying PEX (but they are NOT reusable)
  • SS PEX Clamps are an economic middle ground, much less expensive than most quality 'press on' PEX fittings but a tad more expensive than PEX Copper Crimp Rings (quality installation tools for Clamps or Rings cost about the same)
  • Both SS PEX Clamps and PEX Copper Crimp Rings are more compact when installed than 'press on' fittings
Personally, I feel that the combination of brass fittings and SS PEX Clamps offers the best balance of cost, convenience, and long-term robust / reliable connection (but again, I've never actually experienced a failure using any of the three types). I've yet to encounter a situation where I could not orient a SS PEX Clamp to gain the required tool access for proper installation.

For truly temporary caps or fittings (E.g. testing loops) the 'press on' fittings can't be beat, and I do use and reuse them for that purpose still.

One person's experience and opinion, just for your consideration. Have Fun!

(images credit - all from Lowe's website)
Attached Thumbnails
pex rings and clamps.jpg  
Old 01-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As well, although I have all the skills and tools to sweat copper fittings on,mp rings in the bulk containers. Of course, many folks don't plumb to this extent.
Me too. One of the happiest or relieved moments I've ever had was after I'd soldered the last fitting when I built my house, pre PEX and thankfully pre Poly-B. It's a two story house, a lot of connections and I only had a couple of trouble lights which left a lot area in pitch blackness. But I really wanted to see if there were leaks, and, to be honest, I did expect a couple. So I opened the incoming water supply valve and went scurrying around shining my flashlight here and there and listening for cascading water. Almost couldn't believe there weren't any. I was a happy camper.

When I first started using pex I only bought what I needed but over the years now I have a toolbox full of all the different types of fittings etc. so that's all I use. As the saying goes, I'm heavily invested. Otherwise, yes, crimp rings are a viable option.

Ron
Old 01-27-2022, 12:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I carry the stainless clamps & tool in my plumbing parts toolbox when traveling. My house is sweated copper, but if I was doing it now it would be PEX.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:52 PM   #11
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Forum colleagues,

Thanks all for your advice and direction. Given the houses I have owned were built in the 1970, 80's and 90's, all of my plumbing experience has been with copper tubing and ABS pipe. I have used SharkBite fittings sparingly, typically when a shower wall of cultured marble is backing the fitting and I am reluctant to put a torch on it. I have not had to work with PEX before, so I appreciate your comments. I do wonder how PEX tubing holds up with mice. I would be concerned in a residential application if mice would chew through the PEX line (?).

Thanks again
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:50 PM   #12

My experience is a small sample only involving one property but I haven't had any problem with mice eating PEX.

Twice nearby old apartment buildings were demolished and twice that resulted in a mouse infestation at my place. Sort of like rats deserting a sinking ship.

In both cases it did take awhile to get rid of them but none of the exposed PEX in the crawlspace was nibbled.

Ron