Pickup from Sumas 101 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I totally get your point about relaxing, but it is hard to do. My guess is that once we have the camper and have successfully driven it to the first campground, that's when one will start to relax a bit...
I mentioned on another thread to consider having the phone number of a trusted forum member or two. Might give you some peace of mind to know that you could text or call someone if you have a question. If you PM me I'd give you my number. I can't help with the particulars of the fifth wheel hitching/towing/leveling but I should be able to help with almost anything else.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Thank you!

I will try to look for the hot water heater bypass valve... But assuming that might initially be hard to find, I will make sure that the water comes out of the pressure relief value outside the hot water heater before turning the water heater on....

This is going straight into my check list...
Two valves complete the bypass arrangement. Look close as one will have the lever facing "towards you" (like the top valve in the photo) and one will have the lever facing "away" (like the bottom valve in photo).
Attached Thumbnails
HWH bypass valves.JPG   HWH piping.jpg  
Old 05-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Things to remember;

You have worked hard and now it is time to enjoy.
You are prepared.
Remember to do the fundamentals and listen when you take off.
Remember to go thru the checklist BEFORE moving.
Remember to breathe.
Remember to smile a lot and be kind to your partner (things do get tense from time to time).
Tell your partner it is okay to remind you, if you are driving too fast. Not judging here!
I ALWAYS walk around the trailer looking for things that are not right.
Remember to close or open your MaxFann all the way and lock it for travel. We always close ours.
Remember to walk around the campground and find little things to do.
Make friends with everyone.

And on a somber note. You got time to check everything out. You are not taking it back to Chilliwack, so relax, enjoy your investment and settle in. The strange noises the trailer makes every morning and night will keep you busy anyway. You will find goofy things going wrong, so just realize, they are coming. Enjoy Kavm, enjoy!

Your trailer will probably be fully charged by mid morning so just keep an eye on things. Get used to checking levels and the charging system.

Keep an eye on the tires, move them slowly while your better half examines them for uneven wear. I reset my brake assist several times in the first day. You might too. You will quickly feel when the trailer brake is too aggressive. You're not gonna get it all right the first time either. Just avoid the biggies!

And have fun. Bring some Champaign. Laugh a lot! Congrats!

Here is the checklist you will probably be receiving.
Attached Thumbnails
checklist.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
Breakaway: All trailers with brakes should have a breakaway cable and certainly the Escape does. This engages the trailer brakes if the trailer becomes separated from the tow vehicle. It is also why every trailer with brakes needs a battery to power the brakes under this condition.

Leveling front-to-back. The front landing gear are used to level the trailer front-to-back. Behind the wheels on each side is a stabilizing jack that you screw down after you've disconnected the TV and levelled the trailer. These are designed not to assist with leveling but to help prevent the trailer from rocking as you move around inside. You deploy and raise these using the supplied crank or power drill with the appropriate socket.

Some of your questions are covered in the users manual which I'm sure you've downloaded. Might be worth a refresher read before you start your holiday on Thursday. I know you will be very nervous, but like exams in school you will have done a lot of studying before, but you should relax and enjoy other activities after you leave until Monday (easy for me to say. :-))

Here's the manual
https://escapetrailer.com/wp-content...al-5.25.20.pdf

Good luck!! I am sure you will be fine, and as nervous as I will be when my turn comes.
Thank you very much, Steve! Good reminder to go back to the owner's manual. I am trying to trying to finish off some stuff for work with two different clients before I leave while also trying to get ready for the pickup.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
We are picking up our Escape 5.0 in Sumas, WA on the Memorial Day. I have a range of questions on which I could use your advice. [list]
. . .[*]What should the trailer brake controller sensitivity be set at? We are towing our Escape 5.0 with a 2021 F150.
. . .
We picked up our 5.0 at the factory where they set up the Anderson hitch and brake controller for us.

On our 2011 Ford F-250 with a factory brake controller they set the brake controller at 7. Seems to work OK. I can tell the trailer brakes are helping us slow down when I push the pedal and we've never locked up the trailer brakes when stopping.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Two valves complete the bypass arrangement. Look close as one will have the lever facing "towards you" (like the top valve in the photo) and one will have the lever facing "away" (like the bottom valve in photo).
This picture is very helpful. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Things to remember;

You have worked hard and now it is time to enjoy.
You are prepared.
Remember to do the fundamentals and listen when you take off.
Remember to go thru the checklist BEFORE moving.
Remember to breathe.
Remember to smile a lot and be kind to your partner (things do get tense from time to time).
Tell your partner it is okay to remind you, if you are driving too fast. Not judging here!
I ALWAYS walk around the trailer looking for things that are not right.
Remember to close or open your MaxFann all the way and lock it for travel. We always close ours.
Remember to walk around the campground and find little things to do.
Make friends with everyone.

And on a somber note. You got time to check everything out. You are not taking it back to Chilliwack, so relax, enjoy your investment and settle in. The strange noises the trailer makes every morning and night will keep you busy anyway. You will find goofy things going wrong, so just realize, they are coming. Enjoy Kavm, enjoy!

Your trailer will probably be fully charged by mid morning so just keep an eye on things. Get used to checking levels and the charging system.

Keep an eye on the tires, move them slowly while your better half examines them for uneven wear. I reset my brake assist several times in the first day. You might too. You will quickly feel when the trailer brake is too aggressive. You're not gonna get it all right the first time either. Just avoid the biggies!

And have fun. Bring some Champaign. Laugh a lot! Congrats!

Here is the checklist you will probably be receiving.
Thank you! Wise words!

It is useful to know that we can check the brake assist in a parking lot somewhere with one of us watching looking at it from outside.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
We picked up our 5.0 at the factory where they set up the Anderson hitch and brake controller for us.

On our 2011 Ford F-250 with a factory brake controller they set the brake controller at 7. Seems to work OK. I can tell the trailer brakes are helping us slow down when I push the pedal and we've never locked up the trailer brakes when stopping.
Thanks Ed! We will also get an opinion with the Escape driver. Between that and what UncleTim suggested (helper watching it from outside), hopefully we will get it right enough until we figure out better. I will search for some videos as well, though I have not found one yet.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #29

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Kvam, I've attached my un-hitching, outside driveaway and inside checklist for my 5.0.

Not applicable to you - Turn on / Insure On – Carbon Dioxide Detector / Mirrors onto Emmett (Vehicle name is for the vehicle, I have extended mirrors that I put on when towing), Clothesline Stored, Small Outdoor Rug Stored

I would be happy to help if you have questions, just pm me for my number.

It can be overwhelming at first, make sure you have the safety things covered, if you don't know how to do something right away you will find plenty of help at campgrounds, don't be afraid to ask other seasoned campers. Saying that, be careful not to be doing setup or takedown with visitors around. Just take your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Outside DriveAway Checklist.png   Inside Drive Away Checklist.png   Un-Hitching Checklist .png  
Old 05-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 21NE
I'm in the middle of a workday so haven't read the whole thread but wanted to say that this is the first time I've started second guessing if an Escape/travel trailer is worth the work... Doesn't feel like there would be any time left for "recreation" after reading some of these posts. I hope I'm not drastically under estimating the work involved with hitching, setup, take down, winterization etc.

Definitely appreciate the info in this thread and will be reading all if it after work tonight. Just hoping using an Escape is at least a little fun after all the work that appears to be involved
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
I'm in the middle of a workday so haven't read the whole thread but wanted to say that this is the first time I've started second guessing if an Escape/travel trailer is worth the work... Doesn't feel like there would be any time left for "recreation" after reading some of these posts. I hope I'm not drastically under estimating the work involved with hitching, setup, take down, winterization etc.

Definitely appreciate the info in this thread and will be reading all if it after work tonight. Just hoping using an Escape is at least a little fun after all the work that appears to be involved
Definitely some great info on the thread already. I am, of course, not ready to go there. I think some of this the fact that we have no access to in-person orientation. All these questions would be much better asked and answered in person with the camper in front of you, but the pandemic makes it impossible. That is a part of it.

Second part is that once we have figured it out, the panic I am communicating will go away. The challenges of pulling a trailer, and things going wrong will still be there but a lot less of a concern beforehand. At least, that’s how I am approaching it.

So, all this generous sharing of information and advice is invaluable. The willingness of members to be available answer questions and so on is a huge source of support. We simply do not know how to reciprocate and express our appreciation, but there is time for that.

I sincerely hope you are not discouraged.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:41 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post

Once you do something once or twice it becomes second nature. What seemed an immense task is just part of a routine. I had the advantage of adding systems gradually- first trailer had no battery, only a stove, (had a sink but I didn't use it), second added LED lights, batteries, better stove, fan, third (now) has "everything" but not really, and only a few new things. Every new thing is a challenge- and then it isn't.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
When we got our first trailer we were green as grass and made a lot of rookie errors; fortunately none involving damage to trailer or humans. A friendly campsite host told us “Everyone has a dump disaster story, now you have one too!” This was after the dump tube came off because I had not attached it properly. It made us feel not quite so inadequate knowing that others have made the same or similar errors. After this trip so much will be second nature to you. A couple of people have mentioned using the checklist when you hitch up. We use it EVERY time, even after several years and trailers. We also both separately check inside and outside with a walk around. The very few times we did not use the checklist we missed something—the water filter, an adaptor, a chock. We haven’t lost anything since we got religion on the checklist. Last month we did find a nice Anderson chock someone left behind half buried in the gravel.
Also, things will take longer at first but that’s ok. It will get faster sooner than you imagine.
You will be ok; have a great time and soon you will be reassuring the next newbies.
Best, Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:21 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Yes the best advice I have from our experience is to check everything twice. In three years and two continental trips i only left a few things behind: pressure regulator on the water hookup and a couple of yellow leveling blocks I had the tongue jack on. The check list is excellent. If you have a power awning also make sure it’s power switch is off. Make sure your stabilizing jacks are the last thing down after leveling and the first thing up before hooking up. I would make sure the master breaker in your wfco panel is off before hooking the electric up. If you use the water heater and water pump make sure they get turned off before leaving. We actually have fun checking all the systems . I of course was a professional tech so I enjoy reading about the systems to understand it. Always use a spotter backing in a camp site or a trailer backup camera if your solo, or stop get out and look more than once till you begin to get a feeling for the trailer. If you are not using city water make sure your water tank has been filled and there’s water in the water heater before Turning it on. Someone posted some info but I doubt that it’s in bypass mode right from the factory. Sounds like you have a great truck and fifth wheel hitch combo . Lots of fun lies ahead.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:

I sincerely hope you are not discouraged.
I hope I'm not getting discouraged. Its possible I have been though as lately i've been feeling a bit more overwhelmed preparing for the Escape on order. There is the tow vehicle decision (which you have helped with and which led to me trying out a lot of different configurations on the F-150 build site ) and I recently read a thread about trailer security that got me worrying a bit about storing the trailer on the side of the house . I also have to prepare the side of the house first since its just grass and will need gravel or pavers or something. And need to decide on leaving it uncovered or put in a carport of some kind. And if Ill need a gate.

Long story short its kind of a bummer reading about all of the preparation I'll also need to do before we get the trailer. And the use of checklists etc after owning the trailer.

but I figure its a little like learning to drive and own a car. Takes quite awhile to get the hang of driving but after awhile its second nature and you don't really think about it. Then there are still things that require slowing down and using a checklist but after you've done them a few times it gets easier (changing the oil etc).

Hope you guys have a great experience picking up your trailer. Really looking forward to hearing more! And thanks for the info in the thread, will surely be very useful for when its our turn to go to Sumas
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:44 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
MichaelS78,
I have had my Escapes, outside in my yard, behind a gate since our first Escape was delivered, years ago. No issues with security and convenience for using is great as well as tinkering. Uncovered, a springtime wash is all that is needed. Fiberglass is very strong material.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:47 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
You will be comfortable and making 'mods' before long. I remember reading here for several months before picking mine up at Sumas and thinking "nope, no mods for me. If it ain't broke....

That didn't last long. I just couldn't help myself.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #38

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
I'd recommend greasing the Escape hitch and the retainer piece that slides up to the ball to lock it on. We had trouble getting our new 21NE hitched and unhitched because of the paint from the trailer being new and there was no lubrication from the factory. You'll need to spray some WD40 or light grease from below up into the hitch mechanism to get it to move freely. Once we did this it made hitching and unhitching much easier.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #39

Mfschu- Thank you! Your advice will help other readers. Our camper is 5.0 TA, a fifth wheel and we are using Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch. I have not heard greasing the ball advice in that regard, at least so far.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #40

We are ready to leave for our pickup trip tomorrow. Feel as well prepared and positive. ETI folks have been very nice and encouraging. We have all the items we will need - and a few that we will not The checklists (thanks Ronn!) have been nicely printed, videos are on a usb drive (though neither of us have been able to take more than an hour of continuous watching, if that). Believe it or not, this thread has been very helpful in getting some confidence, so many many thanks!

I am making summary notes from various explanations and advice shared in this forum. One point came up twice: If the campground water is dodgy, do not put it in your freshwater tank. Pardon my ignorance but how will we know if the campground water is dodgy. We could try to smell but beyond that, how do experience campers figure that out? We do have a fancy water filter that connects up at the source, if that makes a difference...