Pickup from Sumas 101 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Taste the water. If you don't want it in your tank, you can try tasting it after the filter- if it is still not very good- just don't use it for drinking.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We have the Escape 19, so the 5.0 might be very different for the brake setting.
In our case Escape set up the hitching etc and recommended we set the brake setting to 8. Seemed OK at first then we found the trailer was braking way to hard.

Finally read the manual in our GMC Canyon and GM stated you should pull your trailer in a straight flat line at 40kmh, then manually apply the trailer brakes fully. If the trailer brakes lock up, dial back the setting until they no longer lock up. In our case the setting ended up at 2.5. Brakes like a charm now.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #43

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
We have the Escape 19, so the 5.0 might be very different for the brake setting.
In our case Escape set up the hitching etc and recommended we set the brake setting to 8. Seemed OK at first then we found the trailer was braking way to hard.

Finally read the manual in our GMC Canyon and GM stated you should pull your trailer in a straight flat line at 40kmh, then manually apply the trailer brakes fully. If the trailer brakes lock up, dial back the setting until they no longer lock up. In our case the setting ended up at 2.5. Brakes like a charm now.
Interesting… I have now received instructions very much along the lines you describe. I will try, perhaps not on the first day when my only objective is to not hit anything and get to the campground
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Taste the water. If you don't want it in your tank, you can try tasting it after the filter- if it is still not very good- just don't use it for drinking.
Thank you! That helps a lot.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:44 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Another thing- a new water hose may make the water taste yukky. So run it for awhile and then taste what comes out of the hose. If it tastes plasticky run it longer. (Better if the hose sits in the sun for awhile, water in it, then run it more.) Once it tastes good it is good to go in your water tank. (Learned this the hard way! I have good water and yet I filled my tank at home and it was awful- and it was the hose.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you! That helps a lot.
One of the first oh **** moment on my first day camping was getting gas. Pay attention to your trailer and the gas pumps. I didn’t hit anything but I had to be careful of the trailer and the pump island. Look for stations with good egress.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Another thing- a new water hose may make the water taste yukky. So run it for awhile and then taste what comes out of the hose. If it tastes plasticky run it longer. (Better if the hose sits in the sun for awhile, water in it, then run it more.) Once it tastes good it is good to go in your water tank. (Learned this the hard way! I have good water and yet I filled my tank at home and it was awful- and it was the hose.)
Thank you for this very useful pointer, Bobbie! Seems like the best thing might be to get the bottled water for the first couple of campgrounds. That way, we can use the water for the first day or two for bathroom and dishes, etc. while the water hose cures. That way, we are a bit less affected by it.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
One of the first oh **** moment on my first day camping was getting gas. Pay attention to your trailer and the gas pumps. I didn’t hit anything but I had to be careful of the trailer and the pump island. Look for stations with good egress.
I just asked my wife to remind me to fill up before we pick the camper up! My main concern for the first couple of days is not to hit anything. I can see that gas stations can be a tight squeeze with a trailer…