Pictures of portable AC Exhaust Through Window? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Trailer: N/A
Pictures of portable AC Exhaust Through Window?

Hi All!

Not an owner as of yet but getting very close to pulling the trigger. Living in the Southwest, AC is an absolute must, but I’m seeing units in the for sale forum without AC just languishing. My thought is to use one of those portable AC units that have an exhaust hose that you install in a window to vent the hot air.

Does anyone out there have any pics of how this might work in an Escape? I couldn’t even find videos on YouTube of how the windows themselves on an Escape work.

Basically I need to know if the plastic “plate” thing that the exhaust hose attaches to (or even one that I might fashion myself) that you set in the window frame will work with the windows?

Not really interested in getting rooftop or any other permanent fix as the whole point of a trailer without AC is to save the money that is often knocked off the asking price.

The AC would only come into play on the hot days of summer, so while it’s not an ideal solution, it’ll do the job for those few months of the year.

Thanks all!
mstrsltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrsltr View Post
Hi All!

Not an owner as of yet but getting very close to pulling the trigger. Living in the Southwest, AC is an absolute must, but I’m seeing units in the for sale forum without AC just languishing. My thought is to use one of those portable AC units that have an exhaust hose that you install in a window to vent the hot air.

Does anyone out there have any pics of how this might work in an Escape? I couldn’t even find videos on YouTube of how the windows themselves on an Escape work.

Basically I need to know if the plastic “plate” thing that the exhaust hose attaches to (or even one that I might fashion myself) that you set in the window frame will work with the windows?

Not really interested in getting rooftop or any other permanent fix as the whole point of a trailer without AC is to save the money that is often knocked off the asking price.

The AC would only come into play on the hot days of summer, so while it’s not an ideal solution, it’ll do the job for those few months of the year.

Thanks all!

Ron in B.C. is the only one I am aware of, mstrsltr :

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post103620

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: N/A
An impressive solution, but not really what I’m after.

That’s a plain ‘ol window unit he’s using, in the escape hatch no less! I’m talking about a portable AC unit with the exhaust hose that mounts in a window. I’ve seen people achieve it with sliding windows on other trailers, but haven’t seen an Escape specifically.

Thanks for your reply tho!
mstrsltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
THIS is what you need to do

Ductless A/C install....

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ofit-8249.html
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrsltr View Post
An impressive solution, but not really what I’m after.

That’s a plain ‘ol window unit he’s using, in the escape hatch no less! I’m talking about a portable AC unit with the exhaust hose that mounts in a window. I’ve seen people achieve it with sliding windows on other trailers, but haven’t seen an Escape specifically.

Thanks for your reply tho!
Perhaps you can be the first in this endeavor, someone has to be the first?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
If the OP is really intent, I suggest adding a dedicated exhaust port through the side wall with an outside hatch to open when the AC is in use - add some bug screen, and you're good to go.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The better portable air conditioners have both intake and exhaust hoses, so they don't blow your conditioned air outside only to be replaced by more hot and moist air through a window or other vent. That means planning for a plate in a window that handles both hoses, or two fittings through the wall.

I have one of these portable units (used in the house), and although it has only half the cooling capacity of a typical RV unit it seems like a really bulky thing to have in a trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The better portable air conditioners have both intake and exhaust hoses, so they don't blow your conditioned air outside only to be replaced by more hot and moist air through a window or other vent. That means planning for a plate in a window that handles both hoses, or two fittings through the wall.

I have one of these portable units (used in the house), and although it has only half the cooling capacity of a typical RV unit it seems like a really bulky thing to have in a trailer.
True, the one I use has a 2x2 footprint and is 3 feet tall.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I did the mini-split install that was linked in post #4, but that is way beyond what the OP appears to be looking for. The portables are typically bulky and loud. The best I’ve used is a commercial unit made by Tripp Lite, but that will set you back some serious cash. I’m sure some custom port(s) could be furnished at a slider window or through an access hatch, but it will be clumsy.
https://www.grainger.com/product/TRI...idential-6RHW7

You may want to consider having the unit outside which of course comes with other challenges including weight, but should be quieter unless the velocity of the ducts are too high and some machine noise travels in through the ducts.

https://climateright.com/
Old 11-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think the best solution is to obtain the roof top shroud from Escape and install just like the factory. On my Escape 19 2010 model, without air, the wiring was already present for the air conditioner. Another option is to take the unit to the factory and have them do it. This puts the unit in the standard mounting location used by millions of RV's and eliminates some serious "kludge" issues.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I did the mini-split install that was linked in post #4, but that is way beyond what the OP appears to be looking for. The portables are typically bulky and loud. The best I’ve used is a commercial unit made by Tripp Lite, but that will set you back some serious cash. I’m sure some custom port(s) could be furnished at a slider window or through an access hatch, but it will be clumsy.
https://www.grainger.com/product/TRI...idential-6RHW7

You may want to consider having the unit outside which of course comes with other challenges including weight, but should be quieter unless the velocity of the ducts are too high and some machine noise travels in through the ducts.

https://climateright.com/
And it was the greatest modification ever!
That little climateright is a neat little rig, and portable enough to carry on a cargo tray on the back. Then a folding table for its eventual location. Cracked me up that the website had teardrop and especially tent applications, I thought I was one of the only few rednecks in a tent with a window unit A/C ducted into it 20 years ago!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
For a while I toyed with the idea of attaching an ice cube tray to this fan. A nineteenth century solution but it would work. Gave that up, bought a roof air conditioner, installed myself, saved $500bucks. Used it twice in 4 years. Fan? Many times.
Attached Thumbnails
fan1.jpg  
Old 11-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used one of these before a/c, worked pretty good and 12volts
Portable Cooler Air Conditioner 12 volt by KoolerAire $39.95
Old 11-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I once watched a guy on U-tube showing how he built that very cooler himself! It's quiet, cheap, clearly more practical than hanging ice cubes in front of a fan.