Planning to build permanent shelter for my E21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Planning to build permanent shelter for my E21C

OK..guys and gals, if you were going to build a roofed shelter etc for your E21C w hi-lift suspension, how wide and high wud u need to make the entrance to it.
WE already have a 6"x6" timber-framed, gravel pad 12'x24' to park it on , but want to add a roof to help protect it. I figure the whole trailer is 9'2" [with the hi-lift considered].
Ideas?? Thanks!
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
When I added onto my shop for my 21 I made the entrance 14 ft high (no door) so that anything I ever bought would fit; also so that I could do roof maintenance or repairs while under cover. Works quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Shop-a.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I seem to recall that the AC on our non-lifted 19 topped out at 8 feet 11 inches, so when we got a carport installed, we went with 10 foot sidewalls, which gave us 12 feet at the peak.

And our carport is 13 feet wide. Would have like to gone with 14 feet but had some trees in the way,

Still gives us plenty of room to wash the trailer, including doing roof maintenance.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21NE
The website now has heights listed to the top of the AC, etc - look at the specs section for your model.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Also keep in mind that if you get the axle lift, there's another couple inches. It'd be a shame to cut it close and to discover you cut it TOO close.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Bow arch shelter

About 11 years ago I built this shelter from Stimson Marine plans. Recently retired, I needed a project and intended it to be a boat building space. Instead, I'd bought a 1996 16' Casita and used this shelter to store it. The greenhouse plastic has held up for the 11 years, but the shed is shaded by large conifers. I'll replace the plastic covering this Fall. Pine cones fall from way up and have punctured the skin. No big thing...some clear repair tape and back in business.

Last Fall I tried to get my recently acquired Escape 19' into it. NO GO.
Room to spare with the Casita, but the taller Escape was just shy by an inch or two too big, given the arc of the arches. And so it goes.
Escape stored under fabric cover, tug vehicle in bow arch shelter.

Build bigger than you need, and you won't be caught later wishing.

I could raise the bow arch shelter with jacks, cribbing and a lot of work to fit the Escape. Nahhhh....I got better things to do.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0276.jpg   IMG_0303.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I built a 30 ft x 40 ft pole barn with a 12 ft high x 18 ft wide overhead garage doow and a poured concrete floor .
I think it depends where you live , we live in snow country
My neighbor built a car port type shelter ( Roof omly - no sidewalls) next to his garage to store his trailer . When the wind picked up , the snow drifted around his trailer making it non accessible
I wanted better protection from the elements plus I can work on my Escape year round . plus it is more secure.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #8

Snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I built a 30 ft x 40 ft pole barn with a 12 ft high x 18 ft wide overhead garage doow and a poured concrete floor .
I think it depends where you live , we live in snow country
My neighbor built a car port type shelter ( Roof omly - no sidewalls) next to his garage to store his trailer . When the wind picked up , the snow drifted around his trailer making it non accessible
I wanted better protection from the elements plus I can work on my Escape year round . plus it is more secure.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ummm..what IS this "snow" of which you speak? The county in wh we live here in central 10aC declares an emergency if 2" falls. They close schools and tell all non-essential gvt workers to stay home. Really!
A roof wd be all I need bks the AM sun is blocked mostly by a stand of evergreens wh we planted a couple yrs ago, and the 'afternoon sun' is mostly blocked by a big stand of deciduous trees + a small barn...in the back of the yard.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ummm..what IS this "snow" of which you speak? The county in wh we live here in central 10aC declares an emergency if 2" falls. They close schools and tell all non-essential gvt workers to stay home. Really!
A roof wd be all I need bks the AM sun is blocked mostly by a stand of evergreens wh we planted a couple yrs ago, and the 'afternoon sun' is mostly blocked by a big stand of deciduous trees + a small barn...in the back of the yard.
I took some teacher training classes for 4 Summers at the U of T at Knoxville
Your Summer more than make up for our Winters
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
To paraphrase Mark Twain

I spent the hottest Summer, one Winter, in Tennessee.

Revel in your clime. I do.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Rita’s Escape Garage

We bought the 19 in the summer of 2013. We rented an enclosed stall at a
Storage facility two miles east of our home. $80 per month. Contracted to have pole building with approach and a 4 inch concrete floor with thickened perimeter built the next spring. Done by the first of July. I did the finish approach grading and seeding myself. Also had a keystone wall built on the south side. Building has been great.
It is 24 feet and 32 feet long. 12 foot sidewalls with 18 foot wide overhead door 10 feet high. It’s big enough and if I were to build another I’d not change a thing. Lots of planning, siting, and logic before the sod was removed and 6 inches of 1 inch clean limestone was
compacted in.
The building will hold two Escapes side by side and a 16 ‘ by 72” beam Jon boat crossways behind the trailer. On a little giant ladder we can access the roof on the 21 for caulking or waxing. My brother wired in a 30 Amp RV plug, outlets and two fluorescent shop lights. I sealed the plate and the ribs of the building skin against vermin with repellant foam and copper mesh. Here are pictures of the building. With one Escape, I can store my Z-turn mower, lawn equipment and off season equipment and lawn furniture as appropriate in this building too.

It recently (Aug 10) withstood our derecho wind measured at 126 miles an hour for 42 sustained minutes that knocked down two nice garages in our development, uprooted numerous trees etc. Never put a scratch on the Lester building. And the Escape with solar became my bedroom during the 10 days and 22 hours of power outage. Used a generator to raise and lower the door each day and even though the Escape solar was in the rear of building the batteries kept up with my usage each day.
Good luck on developing your storage for your trailer.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
B1ABE3BA-0043-40D2-88B5-4A25F649B183.jpg   A4E89B5A-2AB8-4361-A4D4-BCBF1B5FB88D.jpeg   42CDE0F8-0E5F-4333-AA70-D46AB0E4C620.jpg   6D1915E2-323C-4DF7-9835-8C236C9992B0.jpg  
Old 09-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 - 19
I’d make it minimum 10’ high by 12’ wide. But 12x12 would be nice too. Or just get the plans from Iowa Dave. That looks the business
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We are also getting ready to build a shelter for our 19. It's parked on the 20' wide concrete driveway and we are planning on sinking 6x6 posts on each side and putting a sloped tin roof over it -- not arched or peaked, just flat and sloping toward the front. Our plan at this point is to make the lowest point, the entrance, 10' 6" high. I am nervous about whether it's high enough but I don't want to go overboard as it'll have better protection if the roof's not overly high since it won't have sides. We just got fed up with wrangling with the cover! And I want to be able to run the a/c and refrigerator while preparing for trips or working on projects.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
My wife's son built this for us a couple of months ago (he is a licensed contractor). It is 12'X24' and at least 11' tall over a gravel pad. He used 6x6 supports and it has a metal roof. We were able to run electricity to it so we can plug the trailer up if we want to. It was built with the idea that if we ever wanted to enclose it, we could. We do have a cover that we purchased with the trailer and will use it in the winter when we store the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9530.jpg  
Old 09-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I took some teacher training classes for 4 Summers at the U of T at Knoxville
Your Summer more than make up for our Winters
UT class of '57. The 'Hill' is a great place. My Dad stayed sore at me for a long time for not choosing the 'other' UT at Austin.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #16

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
My wife's son built this for us a couple of months ago (he is a licensed contractor). It is 12'X24' and at least 11' tall over a gravel pad. He used 6x6 supports and it has a metal roof. We were able to run electricity to it so we can plug the trailer up if we want to. It was built with the idea that if we ever wanted to enclose it, we could. We do have a cover that we purchased with the trailer and will use it in the winter when we store the trailer.
Yup, that is about what we are thinking of.