Please help Newbie w/Inverter Problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Please help Newbie w/Inverter Problem

HELP. We were just about to head out for our maiden voyage and we have no power to our electrical sockets. I forget which button was the one to turn on the inverter and pushed multiple buttons and the screen says "flooded" and the power outlets are all dead. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gori
Old 01-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hey Gori, did you flip the battery disconnect switch? Unless it's been moved, it should be on the drivers side rear dinette... below the seat area.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hey Gori, did you flip the battery disconnect switch? Unless it's been moved, it should be on the drivers side rear dinette... below the seat area.
Hi Donna: Thank you for replying. When I brought it home I was told to flip that to on and just leave it on as the trailer has solar and is out in the sun. Do I need to flip it again to reset something?

Gori
Old 01-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
At a guess, it sounds like you're pushing buttons on the solar charge controller (and are seeing an indication that it is set to charge flooded type lead-acid batteries), instead of the inverter remote. Depending on version, there may be an inverter on/off switch on the solar charge controller, but any other button would control the charger rather than the inverter.

Do you have the relevant manuals, and can you describe which control panel you're trying to use?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
At a guess, it sounds like you're pushing buttons on the solar charge controller (and are seeing an indication that it is set to charge flooded type lead-acid batteries), instead of the inverter remote.
Hi Brian: I wish I knew enough to even know what that means. All I know is that with the trailer plugged in, the outlets work. But without the trailer plugged in, they don't. I have a 2,000 watt inverter (and extra solar) and all the outlets are supposed to be on it. Was I wrong in thinking I would have power without being plugged in?
Old 01-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
HELP. We were just about to head out for our maiden voyage and we have no power to our electrical sockets. I forget which button was the one to turn on the inverter and pushed multiple buttons and the screen says "flooded" and the power outlets are all dead. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gori
Don't worry about that. The left most button on your panel that has the symbol of an electrical plug - that's the one that turns on the inverter.

From the GP PWM - 30 manual:
You can turn the connected inverter on or off by holding down the AC Symbol Button for 3 seconds. The inverter is enabled when the AC plug symbol appears on the display and is off when it disappears.
Attached Thumbnails
GP-PWM-30-UL-Image-e1573662446908.jpg  
Old 01-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
When I brought it home I was told to flip that to on and just leave it on as the trailer has solar and is out in the sun. Do I need to flip it again to reset something?
No. In fact, the inverter should work regardless of the position of the switch, because the power to the inverter bypasses it.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #8

Yes, but shouldn't my outlets have power once the inverter is on? Because they only have power when I'm plugged into shore power. I thought I would have power to those outlets when I was boon docking. Sorry for being so clueless. We leave tomorrow and only have lights, heat, water, and a refrigerator working at present. Gori
Old 01-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #9

Tom properly described the inverter switch on the charge controller panel that I was referring to, and that seems to be the solution.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Even with the inverter, I wonder if the trailer has the optional transfer switch to power all the plugs when the inverter is in use? IF NOT, the only plug that will work is the one under the kitchen counter.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #11

Yes. Power to all outlets, that option. But none work with the inverter on, if we are not tethered to power.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #12

The inverter is on, the power is not getting to the outlets, unless we are plugged into shore power.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Even with the inverter, I wonder if the trailer has the optional transfer switch to power all the plugs when the inverter is in use? IF NOT, the only plug that will work is the one under the kitchen counter.
That's easy enough to check - if his trailer has the transfer switch, it will be a galvanized box on the back of the WFCO (shiny box in pic below behind breaker panel).

If it's there, he has the all outlets options and all the outlets should be powered once the inverter is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Shunt and controller location.jpg  
Old 01-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
That's easy enough to check - if his trailer has the transfer switch, it will be a galvanized box on the back of the WFCO (shiny box in pic below behind breaker panel).

If it's there, he has the all outlets options and all the outlets should be powered once the inverter is on.
Yes. Bright shiny box. But no power to the outlets when not plugged into shore power. Is this how it's supposed to be?
Old 01-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes. Bright shiny box. But no power to the outlets when not plugged into shore power. Is this how it's supposed to be?
Does the Go Power panel show the electric plug symbol in the display?

Oh, forgot to mention something. When I picked up my trailer with inverter, Escape had left the on/off/remote switch on the inverter to OFF.

You might want to check that if pushing the inverter button on the Go Power panel doesn't work. It's located right above the battery wires on the inverter. You need it in REMOTE.

"ON / OFF / REMOTE- Use this button to turn the inverter ON, OFF or to switch the
inverter into REMOTE MODE."
Old 01-02-2021, 09:28 PM   #16

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Recalling this from memory.
Might help.

The rocker switch on the inverter itself, has three positions. On, off and Remote. Remote is the center position between Off and On.
Put the inverter switch in the center/Remote position.

Now the wall mounted display panel being referred to will remotely control the inverter.

Once the inverter is turned on as previously explained, by holding down AC Symbol button for three seconds you will have remotely turned on the inverter. However, there is about a 60 second delay before electricity actually gets to the outlet.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Enjoy your trip
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Might help.

The rocker switch on the inverter itself, has three positions. On, off and Remote. Remote is the center position between Off and On.
On the new inverters, I think that the switch is ON pushed to the left, OFF in the center, and REMOTE pushed to the right.

Escape has used different models of inverter over time and of course, they are different from model to model.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Might help.

Now the wall mounted display panel being referred to will remotely control the inverter.

Once the inverter is turned on as previously explained, by holding down AC Symbol button for three seconds you will have remotely turned on the inverter. However, there is about a 60 second delay before electricity actually gets to the outlet.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Enjoy your trip
Also going by memory, it you have the EMS option it takes even longer than 60 seconds for the outlets to be energized.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Work around?

I’m not exactly sure how Escape wires the AC side of the inverters but the GoPower 1500W models typically have a plug. If so, and a problem with a transfer switch or AC wiring may be the cause of the issue, couldn’t someone just simply unplug the existing connection and plug in their own extension cord? At least then you would have some 120V power if it is really needed. A bit inconvenient routing the cord depending on where you need the power but better than nothing.

On edit: Found a picture of a newer trailer with all outlet inverter using the plug as I suspected. You can also see the on/off/remote switch that has been mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails
657361E6-5D92-4166-A05C-9B084A9A5942.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2021, 10:30 PM   #20

I found that switch. However. it doesn't seem to matter if it's at 1 or 11. Neither seem to provide power to my outlets with the shorepower disconnected, even with the remote screen showing the plug in the top right corner of the display. I'm getting worried now....