Please help with Fridge problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #1

Please help with Fridge problem

I hope this post doesn't get posted twice...
Happy Sunday everyone, I am not having one Myself.
I have a Dometic RM 2351 three way in My Escape 2011 15' and it was working fine last week, but now doesn't work in AC only on Gas.

Please share Your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

G. Clatz.

PS: please don't feel ignored if I don't respond immediately, doing multitasking today.
gclatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gclatz View Post
I hope this post doesn't get posted twice...
Happy Sunday everyone, I am not having one Myself.
I have a Dometic RM 2351 three way in My Escape 2011 15' and it was working fine last week, but now doesn't work in AC only on Gas.

Please share Your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

G. Clatz.

PS: please don't feel ignored if I don't respond immediately, doing multitasking today.
It would help if you explained any diagnostic measures or checks you have already tried. For example, did the circuit breaker trip? Did you check the compartment behind it to see if it became unplugged from the 120 vac outlet? This might help narrow down potential causes.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
To start, verify you have power where the fridge is plugged in.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This site has all the manuals for the RM2351. The Diagnostic Service Manual has a troubleshooting section. Could be several different things...AC voltage, fuse, heating element, lower control board. Start simple by verifying voltage at the outlet the refrigerator is plugged in to. Then go from there. If you aren’t real handy then a shop might be the best bet.

https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.c...ometic-rm2351/
Old 11-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
It would help if you explained any diagnostic measures or checks you have already tried. For example, did the circuit breaker trip? Did you check the compartment behind it to see if it became unplugged from the 120 vac outlet? This might help narrow down potential causes.
Check circuit breaker good, not unplugged, fuses fine, electric power check.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Done all that and unfortunately not working, all seems to be fine, put new fuses for the fridge although there was no sign of fuse failure, and yes is plugged and I have electricity for everything. running out of options.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
To start, verify you have power where the fridge is plugged in.
Yes thank You paddling I have power.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This site has all the manuals for the RM2351. The Diagnostic Service Manual has a troubleshooting section. Could be several different things...AC voltage, fuse, heating element, lower control board. Start simple by verifying voltage at the outlet the refrigerator is plugged in to. Then go from there. If you aren’t real handy then a shop might be the best bet.

https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.c...ometic-rm2351/

I am thinking lower control board... all other voltage, fuses heating element is working this is why works on gas, I am going to see the troubleshooting manual from Dometic and see if I can reset it.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gclatz View Post
I am thinking lower control board... all other voltage, fuses heating element is working this is why works on gas, I am going to see the troubleshooting manual from Dometic and see if I can reset it.
See diagnostic manual I linked to in earlier post

Lower control board troubleshoot:
AC Mode
Test upper control board and harness between upper and lower before testing lower for proper AC operation. Check that incoming AC voltage is present at terminals J5 (black) and J6 (white) on the circuit board. With unit on AC operation, check for voltage at the heating element connection terminals J7 and J8 on the circuit board. If no voltage is present, check the 5 amp AC, 3 amp DC fuses, wiring harness and upper control. If AC volts are present at J5 and J6 and no voltage on J7 and J8 the AC voltage detection circuit is damaged and the control board will need to be changed.

Electric heating element troubleshoot:
Heating Element
The heating element is designed to deliver a predetermined amount of heat to the cooling unit. To check a heating element, remove the heater leads from the printed circuit board and measure for proper resistance across the two leads with a properly calibrated ohm meter. This check is to be done with the heating element at room temperature. You should obtain the following readings ±10%: Model RM2351-4 80 OHMS
Old 11-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
See diagnostic manual I linked to in earlier post

Lower control board troubleshoot:
AC Mode
Test upper control board and harness between upper and lower before testing lower for proper AC operation. Check that incoming AC voltage is present at terminals J5 (black) and J6 (white) on the circuit board. With unit on AC operation, check for voltage at the heating element connection terminals J7 and J8 on the circuit board. If no voltage is present, check the 5 amp AC, 3 amp DC fuses, wiring harness and upper control. If AC volts are present at J5 and J6 and no voltage on J7 and J8 the AC voltage detection circuit is damaged and the control board will need to be changed.

Electric heating element troubleshoot:
Heating Element
The heating element is designed to deliver a predetermined amount of heat to the cooling unit. To check a heating element, remove the heater leads from the printed circuit board and measure for proper resistance across the two leads with a properly calibrated ohm meter. This check is to be done with the heating element at room temperature. You should obtain the following readings ±10%: Model RM2351-4 80 OHMS

Thank You Rubicon327, for the detailed guide, I will try that as soon the rain stops.