Plugs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Plugs

I wanted to replace my plug thing that plugs into my 17 then into the camp ground plug. It is a little worn out. I bought a 30 amp plug /cord but it doesn't fit my trailer plug it is two flat things on an angle and a middle round thing while my trailer plug is three flat things one has a little curl on it. Pretty sure I asked for the wrong thing prob due to my lack of tech vocabulary!!!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Is this what you mean?
Attached Thumbnails
41go72oWtHL.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

Yes but attached to the long cord
Old 10-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

Well maybe not I think the flat ones are kind of slanted with round one below
Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Do you have a detachable power cord? By that I mean, do you have a socket on the side of the trailer that you plug your power cord into? Or does your power cord pull out from inside the trailer thru the little flap door?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #6

Detachable
Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #7

Ok, then I need to defer to someone who has that setup as I don't know what brand/type Reace uses and I don't know if they are interchangeable.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Fox Hunt, what kind of cord did you buy? We got a Marino power cord that comes off at a right angle so that the cord isn't strained as it bends to the ground.
One thing about the Marino 30 amp cords is that you have to twist them a bit as they go in. I am not sure how to describe it, but it is a slight clockwise twist. because it twists, the handle is not vertical when installed, but slightly to the right of vertical.

Also, it came with two locking rings. If I remember correctly, I had to take off the one that was on the cord, and replace it with the other one. I thought it was going to be hard, but it just slipped off.

Hope that helps, and hope you are enjoying the Lark.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Not to be picky, but just to help clarity of communication, some terminology as used for electrical power cord connections:
  • plug = part with prongs sticking out, on the end of a cord, which goes into a matching socket
  • socket or receptacle = part that the plug goes into
  • cord connector = a socket made to go on the end of a cord

So the campsite has a receptacle. The 30-amp receptacle found in campsites goes with plugs which match this description:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I bought a 30 amp plug /cord but it doesn't fit my trailer plug it is two flat things on an angle and a middle round thing...
This is the NEMA TT-30 style, named for "Travel Trailers" because nothing other than RVs use it, and just called a "30-amp" connection in the RV world.

If you buy a cord with a TT-30 plug (to plug into the campsite) on one end, and the matching connector on the other end, what you have is an extension cord. That doesn't help you if you are trying to replace something which is worn out... it just gives you more reach.

So what is being replaced here? Since the original cord in this case is removable, there must be some connection between the cord that the trailer than can be unplugged. This is not done with a TT-30 connection, because that doesn't lock; instead, a locking connection is used. The normal locking connection is a NEMA L5-30, which twists a few degrees to lock or unlock... and might be what is being described here:
Quote:
... while my trailer plug is three flat things one has a little curl on it.
... but those things are not really flat, they're all curved so they can turn in curved slots, but one does have a bend on one edge.

You can replace the connector on the trailer's end of the removable cord (that's an L50-30 cord connector), such as Marinco Part # 305CRCN.VPK. I assume it's not the part on the trailer which is worn (because then you wouldn't have bought a cord), but that is replaceable too - it's called an "inlet": e.g.Marinco Part # 301ELCB (or better picture in Amazon).

If you were to replace the entire cordset to get new hardware on both ends, that would be one like Leon linked, with a TT-30 plug on one end to go into the campsite's receptacle and an L5-30 connector on the other end to go into the trailer; I agree the right-angle ends on both ends - not just the campsite end - is an excellent feature. I wouldn't buy a whole cordset to get one new connector, but on the other hand it does save the need to do any wiring work (installing a new connector on the original cord). Certainly don't throw away the original cord - I assume someone will want it if all it needs is one connector replaced.

The twist-locking connections work by plugging it straight in to put the blades in the slots, then turning a bit to lock; turn back then pull to remove. In RV use, they often have that protective boot and threaded ring, which is not part of the connector at all but an addition on the outside for weather protection.

Clear as mud?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You want something like this http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55132-AM...v+plug+repairs
Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes... if the plug on the end of the cord is worn, which plugs into the campground receptacle. I'm not sure that's the worn part, given this description:
Quote:
I wanted to replace my plug thing that plugs into my 17 then into the camp ground plug.
especially since this suggests the TT-30 is not the part in question:
Quote:
I bought a 30 amp plug /cord but it doesn't fit my trailer plug it is two flat things on an angle and a middle round thing ...
and the part of interest matches an L5-30 locking connection instead:
Quote:
... while my trailer plug is three flat things one has a little curl on it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Brian, that's a very concise and complete description, actually!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
good job, Brian.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #14

I think I need the one that Leon suggested I have his old trailer yes you are right I got a 30 amp extension cord but needed a cord with the 30 amp thing for the camp site and a locking one for the trailer end.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Kate.
Hold onto the cord you bought. Not very often, but once in a whole you need more than the standard 25 foot cord to reach the power source. Amazon has what you need. Search for 30amp detachable RV Piwer Cord.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #16

Quote:
I think I need the one that Leon suggested I have his old trailer yes you are right I got a 30 amp extension cord but needed a cord with the 30 amp thing for the camp site and a locking one for the trailer end.
Glad it's sorted out. I assume the locking (trailer) end is the worn part.

I still think someone who is willing to do some wiring work would probably appreciate getting the original cord, to rejuvenate it with a new locking (L5-30) connector, or to make it into an extension cord with a new TT-30 connector (cord-mounted receptacle).
Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Kate.
Hold onto the cord you bought. Not very often, but once in a whole you need more than the standard 25 foot cord to reach the power source. Amazon has what you need. Search for 30amp detachable RV Piwer Cord.
Too late to edit, but I meant "once in a while," NOT "once in a whole."
Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

I still think someone who is willing to do some wiring work would probably appreciate getting the original cord, to rejuvenate it with a new locking (L5-30) connector, or to make it into an extension cord with a new TT-30 connector (cord-mounted receptacle).
Marinco sp? even markets a plug specifically for that purpose. I bought one a couple of weeks ago to make a short cord, 15 amp plug to 30 amp connector plug, so that I didn't have to leave my "good" 30 amp cord out in the elements all winter. I also don't need 30 amps in the winter for a 60 watt bulb so a standard extension cord works just fine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Marinco sp? even markets a plug specifically for that purpose. I bought one a couple of weeks ago to make a short cord, 15 amp plug to 30 amp connector plug, so that I didn't have to leave my "good" 30 amp cord out in the elements all winter. I also don't need 30 amps in the winter for a 60 watt bulb so a standard extension cord works just fine.

Ron
I did the same for the same reasons. $25 on Amazon, non Marinco.
NU-SET RV dogbone adapter 15 amp male to 30 amp female locking connector - Rv Receptacles - Amazon.com

Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 AM   #20

Thanks for all the help