Plumbing system - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Plumbing system

Hello all. I’ve had my trailer for a while but this is my first time posting here I’m hoping you can help me. I’ve been having an issue with the water pump leaking when using the direct water hook up. Last year I had a work around by filling the tank and using the pump.

This year it’s leaking either way.

I’ve also noticed the the tank sensors are showing the tanks as 2/3 full even though I’ve emptied and rinsed them.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Stacey
Stacey H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not sure I understand, but if I do, you are not supposed to use the pump when connected to city water. It is only for drawing water from the fresh water tank.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure I understand, but if I do, you are not supposed to use the pump when connected to city water. It is only for drawing water from the fresh water tank.
Hi. I wasn’t using the pump, when connected to the water line. That’s why I’m confused as to why it’s leaking.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Do you think it may have got frozen the previous winter. It may only leak under pressure.
Check the bottom for a crack while under pressure with a small mirror.
Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Stacey, there is a check valve in the pump intended to prevent flow through the pump and into the fresh water tank when connected by a hose to city water (outside hose bib). However, that is likely not the source of the leak. If it fails the tank would ultimately overflow, but that would be outside. Perhaps one of the hose clamps is loose. You might check that. But as a previous poster suggested, you need to pressurize the system and determine exactly where the leak is coming from by sight (perhaps requiring a mirror) and by touch. Either the pump is damaged, one of the fittings is cracked, a hose is compromised, the top of the filter (adjacent to the pump on the inflow side is loose) is loose or cracked or the bottom is cracked. I don’t think you are not dealing with a major problem but the key is to determine exactly what is leaking. A new pump will run you $100 + or -, a filter bowl $20 + or -, and fittings a couple of dollars.

As far as the tank sensors, they are notoriously inaccurate. Please post a photo of your monitor. You can try filling the gray and black tanks 3/4 full and adding Dawn (or some other grease cutting dish soap) and towing 60 km, then let them soak overnight and dumping them. And when you dump, try to make sure the opposite side of the trailer is elevated. The gray tank drains much more slowly than the black tank. If that doesn’t cure the sensor problem, I would suspect that the circuit board in the monitor has gone bad. It is likely manufactured by KIB. Others, including me have had to replace the board. It is relatively easy to remove and there is one plug that connects to it. A Google search will find KIB’s phone number. In my case, the gray tank was reading 2/3 full. I actually sent the board to my son who designs and builds circuit boards for the defense industry. He replaced a common 50 cent chip and it now works fine. Probably any electronics person who is good with a soldering iron could make such a repair. Feel free to send me a private message if you wish to discuss either of your “issues” more.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdog View Post
Do you think it may have got frozen the previous winter. It may only leak under pressure.
Check the bottom for a crack while under pressure with a small mirror.
I’ll check that out., thanks
Old 08-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #7

Thanks for all the information. I clearly have a lot of learning to do. I see if I can find a more accurate source of the leak. It looks like it’s comes from the bottom of the pump but I’ll take a closer look.

��