Poor 7-Way connection GM Trucks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Poor 7-Way connection GM Trucks

My 21 has a Bargman pigtail that fits poorly into the socket on my 2014 Silverado. On more than one occasion I have had to go back and adjust the plug to get all the lights working. On occasion I have gotten a check wiring warning on the integral brake control and solved by going back and diddling with the plug. My Casita fit poorly as well when I switched to the Silverado. The old Trailnblazer held the plug in place like a champ. Part of the issue is the receptacle on the Silverado is literally upside down from the way it would work the best. The other is the plug does not fit deeply into the socket.

Research on the net shows some issues, and I finally found a recommendation by GM to use a Pollak plug to match up with the OEM receptacle on the truck made by Pollak.

Just for jollies I ordered a Pollak plug from Amazon and low and behold it slides way in and isn't coming out. I hesitate to cut the plug off and replace the Bargman. I sent an email, to etrailer to see if they had any recommendations. They sell pigtails from several different suppliers including Bargman.

In the meantime I am going to use the Camco multiclamp to help keep the plug in place.

I have never lost braking on the road, but the situation makes me uncomfortable. Anyone else out there experiencing this issue?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Carl,
Interesting! We have a 2015 Escape 17. It has the ETI Bargman pigtail and plug. Our tow has a Pollak receptacle, and everything works well together. The receptacle is mounted right-side-up so the spring-loaded cover descends onto the plug to secure it.
I wonder if the guts within your receptacle is mis-installed so that it isn't all the way into the housing. There's usually a keyway that is a snug fit so that you can't completely install the guts unless it's lined up accurately and straight within the housing.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 19'
Yes. After seeing several "disconnected" messages on the brake controller in my Jeep, I twisted the pigtail around until it put tension on the "flap" that holds the plug in the socket, and the problem is completely resolved. This shouldn't be necessary, but is a reasonable workaround.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have a 2013 Yukon, which is an SUV version of the Sierra. The only time I have a problem is when I don't make sure the hinged door doesn't lock over the plug.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Trailer plugs aren't highly machined. I'm surprised they work as well as they do for as long as they do. Disconnect, throw over the jack or tanks. Stay exposed to all kinds of weather from snow to rain to splash from gravel or asphalt.

I bought one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-82-00.../dp/B00JRYHGKC

Just remember, with the cap... the wiring needs to be "nose" up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The connection between my truck and trailer could be tighter and I have had the problem that skiman described. Mainly when turning corners I would get the warning on the dash.

With the farm tractor and planter hook ups, there are multiple pin connections that cause false readings on the monitors. A little shot of WD40 in the connections makes everything work trouble free. Worked with the truck and trailer. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I once had a new Hopkins 7-pin receptacle installed on a tow vehicle, and it gave me fits. It would work, and then it wouldn't. I finally gave up and took it to a trailer service shop where they discovered broken plastic components inside the receptacle (factory defect?) that sometimes would let the metal terminals make contact properly, sometimes not. They replaced it with another new Hopkins, a well-built one, and all worked well after that. It's always something....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have had the trailer plug work itself loose in the receptacle in my Tacoma. It's unnerving. I keep my lights on when towing so that if I can see the trailer's marker light out my side view mirror I know that the connection is good. I'd prefer a better solution.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'd prefer a better solution.
I use a very large O-ring around the trailer plug and stretch it over the truck flap thing that is supposed to keep the connection secure. Sorry I don't have a picture to make this more clear.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17B
We've got a 2016 Toyota 4Runner, and we've found that we've got the same problem, the receptical on our tv is far enough back beyond the bumper that the trailer plug barely fits, and comes unplugged when we turn corners. We've got a slightly shorter hitch we're going to try, but haven't looked at the adapters or pigtails some of you are mentioning.
Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I've been thinking about cutting off the Bargman plug and replacing it with a Pollak plug too Ron. Have had the same issues with it coming occasionally unplugged on my F150. I'm of the opinion that the receptacles on all these trucks are fine - the problem comes from a poorly shaped/molded Bargman plug.

Even using a cap on the Bargman plug, I've also noticed corrosion on the terminals. I hit them with an old toothbrush and some PB Blaster occasionally and it does a good job of removing the corrosion - but does nothing for a poor fitting plug.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
A piece of Velcro wrapped tightly around the lid and the plug is my solution since it came loose on me once on the highway.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
My 21 has a Bargman pigtail that fits poorly into the socket on my 2014 Silverado. On more than one occasion I have had to go back and adjust the plug to get all the lights working. On occasion I have gotten a check wiring warning on the integral brake control and solved by going back and diddling with the plug. My Casita fit poorly as well when I switched to the Silverado. The old Trailnblazer held the plug in place like a champ. Part of the issue is the receptacle on the Silverado is literally upside down from the way it would work the best. The other is the plug does not fit deeply into the socket.

Research on the net shows some issues, and I finally found a recommendation by GM to use a Pollak plug to match up with the OEM receptacle on the truck made by Pollak.

Just for jollies I ordered a Pollak plug from Amazon and low and behold it slides way in and isn't coming out. I hesitate to cut the plug off and replace the Bargman. I sent an email, to etrailer to see if they had any recommendations. They sell pigtails from several different suppliers including Bargman.

In the meantime I am going to use the Camco multiclamp to help keep the plug in place.

I have never lost braking on the road, but the situation makes me uncomfortable. Anyone else out there experiencing this issue?
We have the same problem with our Ram 1500 .The fit between the trailer cord cap and the trucks receptacle is sloppy at best.
Of several occasions we have gotten an a alarm stating loss of trailer brakes which was attributable solely to the mismatch of cord cap and receptacle ( IE The connections vibrated loose)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have had the trailer plug work itself loose in the receptacle in my Tacoma. It's unnerving. I keep my lights on when towing so that if I can see the trailer's marker light out my side view mirror I know that the connection is good. I'd prefer a better solution.
After the same problem with my Tacoma, I now add a miniature bungee cord around the connector & cover to keep it connected.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Mine too is loose - our 2014 TA 5.0 and our Silverado.

I have one wrap of duk-tape around the male end of the connection. This takes up the loose slack in the connection.
And it works.

Thanks for the info on swapping out the plug for the better fitting Pollak plug.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Ditto with duct tape. Works fine.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Ditto with duct tape. Works fine.
Hi: yardsale... You just made "Red Greens" day!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie