Portable 12v inverter for laptop - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Portable 12v inverter for laptop

We are enjoying our new E19 but unfortunately work calls. So, I am looking for recommendations for a small (300w) inverter to plug in a 12v socket to run a laptop. We have the standard 190w solar panel setup. Thanks for suggestions.
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 17B
It would be better to find a direct 12V charger for your laptop. Many models have them available and then you're not converting DC to AC and back to DC just for small amp charging.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This is why more 12v locations is important. Using a 12v outlet with a USB adapter will allow charging the computer without an inverter.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
It would be better to find a direct 12V charger for your laptop. Many models have them available and then you're not converting DC to AC and back to DC just for small amp charging.

True, a car charger for your laptop will be more efficient and probably easier to use in the long run. But if you have other devices that need 110V AC then try to get an inverter that advertises "pure sine wave". They are more expensive than "modified" sine wave inverters but will play much nicer with sensitive electronics.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clkr View Post
We are enjoying our new E19 but unfortunately work calls. So, I am looking for recommendations for a small (300w) inverter to plug in a 12v socket to run a laptop. We have the standard 190w solar panel setup. Thanks for suggestions.
Be careful with something as large as 300W into a standard 12V outlet. If I'm doing my math right you are around 25A. The standard 12V outlets in an Escape are not rated for that. I know on the Magnadyne combo 12V/USB outlets that Escape uses the 12V socket is rated for 120W which would be about 10A. An inverter larger than ~100W should be connected direct to the battery.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
What a coincidence! I just had the same question about charging one of my older Apple laptops that can only be charged with an 120 volt AC-powered adapter. There isn't a practical way to charge this, or many other devices, directly from the 12 volt DC outlets in our campers.

The solution is a small inverter, one that is powerful enough to output 50-100 watts AC to run the charger but small enough so that it won't overload the camper's 12 volt DC. An additional consideration is that the small inverter needs to output pure sine-wave AC power since many computer power adapters get hot and run inefficiently on current from the cheapo little inverters that seem to be sold everywhere.

I settled on the BESTEK 300Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter Car Adapter DC 12V to AC 110V with 4.2A Dual Smart USB Ports

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ4Q2L5/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bestek charger.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	56708

This inverter is reasonably priced, offers enough pure sine-wave power and includes a couple of USB power ports.

If you'd like to watch a review of the inverter, check out the following YouTube video. It contains a good review of the inverter.

How To CAR CHARGE Solar Generators From 12 Volt Vehicles! BESTEK 300w Pure Sine Inverter Review

PS, I just saw Rubicon's recommendation that any inverter over 100 watts ought to be connected directly to the battery rather than plugged into a trailer's DC outlet. I'm not arguing with that, but would point out that most laptop power supplies draw less that 100 watts so if that's all you're using the inverter for, you're probably OK with using the camper's DC outlet since you'd be drawing less that 10 amps from the outlet.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
The solution is a small inverter, one that is powerful enough to output 50-100 watts AC to run the charger but small enough so that it won't overload the camper's 12 volt DC.
It isn't important to keep the inverter small, since it is the charger which will determine how much power is used. If the charger only uses 100 watts, a 400-watt inverter won't use much more power than a marginal 100-watt inverter would. If the charger needs 200 watts, it's not likely to work at all with a 100-watt inverter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
PS, I just saw Rubicon's recommendation that any inverter over 100 watts ought to be connected directly to the battery rather than plugged into a trailer's DC outlet. I'm not arguing with that, but would point out that most laptop power supplies draw less that 100 watts so if that's all you're using the inverter for, you're probably OK with using the camper's DC outlet since you'd be drawing less that 10 amps from the outlet.
I agree. Some inverters in the range of a few hundred watts come with terminals to attach a cable for hardwiring or a clip-direct-to-battery installation, as well as a cable with a plug to fit an accessory socket for lighter loads, and instructions to use a connection appropriate to the load.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
laptop chargers are usually in the 60-90 watt range unless its some kinda monster engineering or gaming giant screen tabletop thing, those might go as high as 120 watts.

300W and larger inverters usually have battery clips rather than a cigar plug. but most inverters advertised as 300W, if you read the fine print, they are more like 200W continuous, 300W instantaneous peak.

I have a cheap 300W, can't remember the brand (Zantec?), that I replaced the battery clips with a PP30 anderson powerpole connector, and I have a pair of PP30 outlets, each fused at 30A, that I installed under the dinette, near the power center. it gets used to charge our ebike batteries (don't have a 12VDC to 52V lithium charger), and my wife's XPS15.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This is why more 12v locations is important. Using a 12v outlet with a USB adapter will allow charging the computer without an inverter.
This idea makes sense and I have the 12v / USB adapter already and will give it a try. Thanks
Old 07-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
laptop chargers are usually in the 60-90 watt range unless its some kinda monster engineering or gaming giant screen tabletop thing, those might go as high as 120 watts.

300W and larger inverters usually have battery clips rather than a cigar plug. but most inverters advertised as 300W, if you read the fine print, they are more like 200W continuous, 300W instantaneous peak.

I have a cheap 300W, can't remember the brand (Zantec?), that I replaced the battery clips with a PP30 anderson powerpole connector, and I have a pair of PP30 outlets, each fused at 30A, that I installed under the dinette, near the power center. it gets used to charge our ebike batteries (don't have a 12VDC to 52V lithium charger), and my wife's XPS15.
I agree probably won’t need a 300w inverter but will look at a100w if the USB-12v adapter doesn’t charge the laptop. I know that USB-12v setup charges an iPad with no issue. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Great idea. I assume that the wiring feeding these outlets are of a suitable gauge, heavier than what feeds the standard 12 volt outlets.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It isn't important to keep the inverter small, since it is the charger which will determine how much power is used. If the charger only uses 100 watts, a 400-watt inverter won't use much more power than a marginal 100-watt inverter would. If the charger needs 200 watts, it's not likely to work at all with a 100-watt inverter.
Makes sense. I will look at 100w if needed. Thanks
Old 07-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
What a coincidence! I just had the same question about charging one of my older Apple laptops that can only be charged with an 120 volt AC-powered adapter. There isn't a practical way to charge this, or many other devices, directly from the 12 volt DC outlets in our campers.

The solution is a small inverter, one that is powerful enough to output 50-100 watts AC to run the charger but small enough so that it won't overload the camper's 12 volt DC. An additional consideration is that the small inverter needs to output pure sine-wave AC power since many computer power adapters get hot and run inefficiently on current from the cheapo little inverters that seem to be sold everywhere.

I settled on the BESTEK 300Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter Car Adapter DC 12V to AC 110V with 4.2A Dual Smart USB Ports

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ4Q2L5/

Attachment 56708

This inverter is reasonably priced, offers enough pure sine-wave power and includes a couple of USB power ports.
I have this exact same unit, and it works awesome, so I give it another vote!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
I agree probably won’t need a 300w inverter but will look at a100w if the USB-12v adapter doesn’t charge the laptop. I know that USB-12v setup charges an iPad with no issue. Thanks for the advice.
the only laptops that will charge on USB require a HIGH wattage USB-C supply, which by spec has a USB power cord, since regular USB C cords can't handle the 80 or 90 watts these laptops need. there's no way one of these would work off a USB cigar plug meant to charge 5 or 10 watt telephones.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
the only laptops that will charge on USB require a HIGH wattage USB-C supply, which by spec has a USB power cord, since regular USB C cords can't handle the 80 or 90 watts these laptops need. there's no way one of these would work off a USB cigar plug meant to charge 5 or 10 watt telephones.
Both our laptops charge overnight with the USB C on one end plugged into our USB ports on our 5.0. It takes all night but our wires into the USB/12v box don't get hot.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-02-2021, 12:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Both our laptops charge overnight with the USB C on one end plugged into our USB ports on our 5.0. It takes all night but our wires into the USB/12v box don't get hot.

Enjoy,

Perry
I'm not directly responding either now to the original poster who needed to charge his laptop with an AC-powered power adapter. But more and more laptops come with a USB-C charging input which CAN be easily powered from your camper's 12 volt cigar plug outlet.

Check out the Nekteck USB Car Charger with 45W Power Delivery and 12W USB A Port. Click image for larger version

Name:	Nektek.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	56710 It's compatible with iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Galaxy, and Google Pixel. Also come with a 3.3ft USB-C charging cord for less than $20. Now, I know it doesn't supply the 90-100 watts of power that an AC power supply can produce, but 45 watts keeps my MacBook Pro chugging along for hours.

45 watts is only about 4 amps (volts x amps = watts) so you don't have to worry about overloading your camper's charge ports. Works great for me and there are more and more devices being introduced that charge this easy way with USB-C.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. Some inverters in the range of a few hundred watts come with terminals to attach a cable for hardwiring or a clip-direct-to-battery installation, as well as a cable with a plug to fit an accessory socket for lighter loads, and instructions to use a connection appropriate to the load.
Good point. If you manage the load then any size inverter could be used. A user just has to keep in mind the limitation of 10-15A when using a standard 12V accessory outlet. Another option is to do what John did and wire up a higher capacity outlet to one of the two bottom fuse positions in the WFCO. They are rated for 30A.