Portable O2 in trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Portable O2 in trailer

Does anybody have experience/advice about using portable O2 in a small travel trailer? We have an Escape 21 and I was just put on supplemental oxygen 24/7.
I know that it's extremely dangerous to use pure O2 near an open flame. I'm sure I'll need to have the wife do all of the "in trailer cooking" from now on, , but what kind of precautions do we need to take for the propane hot water tank and refrigerator when it's on propane?
Thanks in advance.
Charlie & Kiko
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
The propane flame in the fridge, hot water heater, and furnace are compartmentalized and vented to the outside - likely your big issue as far as flames would be the stove top burners and, if you have one, oven.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
You inhale the oxygen with atmospheric air and then exhale mostly carbon dioxide and nitrogen. The flame for both the water heater and the refrigerator are “outside.” While I would avoid close proximity to an open flame, it is highly unlikely that supplemental oxygen in the trailer constitutes a hazard, especially at the concentrations you will be using.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are using a concentrator, check that the battery(ies) can supply enough amp hours to run it. When my late wife was on a concentrator, Medicare would not cover the cost (or let me pay the difference) between a large, power hungry 120V one and the portable units. There are many more brands & models now, so it may no longer be a problem.

We used tanked oxygen for traveling, and our supplier was great about providing large numbers of them to cover a 3 week trip since the island we were heading for was not serviced by them. A PIA to deal with, but it did let us travel.

Our oxygen supplier was not concerned about a wood stove/fireplace 5' from where Carol spent most of her time so I doubt the trailer appliances, including the stove would be a problem.