Portable Table - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Portable Table

This following excerpt is from THIS thread at FGRV. Although a couple regulars here chipped in on this thread, I thought I would get some opinions from those here who don't meander over that way too often.

I would like to bring along a portable table on some trips. I will be doing some boondocking so would need a table outside then, and also would like a table under my awning where the campsite ones are not movable (an often not right by the trailer).

I am thinking something that would seat at least 4 people. A bit bigger would be nice too, though storage and portability would be important.

I would like to do all our outdoor food prep, cooking, dishwashing, etc. on it as well, so would want one that is fairly sturdy. I do realize I may have to give up some stability for portability.

I remember seeing one table that had adjustable leg height and could be used at eating or coffee table height, but am not sure where. That would be cool, but not necessary.

So, I am real interested in hearing solutions and ideas for folks out there who have either used something they really like, or have ideas on what would work good for this situation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Portable Table

I've had two such tables. One was made of aluminum and a plastic coated cardboard ( more or less ). It was lightweight, but unstable, and sagged in the middle. I replaced it with a folding resin table that had adjustable legs. It weighs a ton. Folded it probably measured 3' x 4' so I would tie it down on top of the tent trailer. Now, it sits in the carport, awaiting any garage sale I might contemplate. AND THAT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN.
Most places I've ever camped provide picnic tables and that's sufficient for most of my needs. If you find the answer, please let me know.

baglo
Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar

I don't have any practical experience YET (Escape 19', June). But the following idea should work well.

I wanted a simple solution to set the Weber Q 100, the two burner stove, and also to meet the need of a simple eating table when no camp site table is available. We purchased a couple of the Coleman Pack-Away Tables (website below).

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...ubmittingPage=

Although these are a little shorter than a standard table, the height is perfect with the Weber and the cook stove. Surface is metal so it won't melt. If there is no campsite table we have a couple tables and seats for up to 4 people. If we need a taller table. the legs from one can be used on the other to raise the height about 10 inches (24 cm). It's pretty solid for a light weight table and will fold up to fit into the 'basement hatch of the 19'.

Plus -- the little seat makes and excellent side table to hold my G&T and chips. Put a throw pillow on top of the seat and it becomes an ottoman.

We'll need to wait until trailer delivery for the next idea. The Goucho bunk option uses metal (aluminum) poles that span the trailer. Could I attach two pack-away table together (side-by-side) and use a goucho bunk pole as a brace underside of both tables to hold them up? (If this works I'll post photos.) Now I can fold up the inner table legs out of the way and make one large table. I'll also have an extra set of leg extenders to raise up the whole table. Lot's of combinations with a couple little coleman tables.

Edgar
Escape 19 - June
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

LL Bean has a great foldable table that fits in a bag. Go to llbean.com and in the search slot write 'camp table'. They have 2 sizes the largest of which weighs 14lbs and would seat 4 and probably do the jobs mentioned in the quote. We have bought many things from Beans over the years, and although sometimes pricey, their lifetime guarantee, we feel, is worth it and has proved so occasionally!
Hope this is helpful. Jenny & Ian
Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

Edgar, we found the aluminum campstool is great for G&T and chips too! Cool! Ian
Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #6

Edgar, I do like the idea of the stools, I may look into them separately. That table is a bit too small for my needs though.

Oh, and try dropping the G, and replace it with a T (tequila). Now, with a twist of lime, a T&T is one tasty drink, and no soapy taste either.

Ian, those tables listed at LL Bean are actually identical to ones made by ALPS, and I assume actually are. HERE is a link to the manufacturers site. They are available in many camping stores it seems. Of the dozens I have looked at, these are definitely my favourite so far. I am thinking of getting the 55x28, though the 43x28 might be enough too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Jim...Just enjoying a "Sahara Dry" Martini and wondering about a portable "Bar"
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #8

Alf, I saw a couple of those portable bars in my searches. Make sure you let me know where you are set up, and I'll pop over.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Edgar that is a neat looking table set up. Especially the adjustable legs. Thanks for the link. Thanks too Jim too for starting this thread here.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #10

I thought I would update this post. I did buy the Alps Regular Dining Table. After getting it delivered and set up, I am glad I did not get the larger size. The 43x28x28 will be great for 2 of us plus stove and some other stuff, or for 4 to eat, play cards or whatever. I have obviously not given it any real use yet, but am sure it will work out just fine. It is quite easy to set up and feels very sturdy considering its light weight.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #11

thanks, just ordered one while the exchange rate is favourable
just what we've been looking for

we'll see how it works with saltwater spray on the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddys
LL Bean has a great foldable table that fits in a bag. Go to llbean.com and in the search slot write 'camp table'. They have 2 sizes the largest of which weighs 14lbs and would seat 4 and probably do the jobs mentioned in the quote. We have bought many things from Beans over the years, and although sometimes pricey, their lifetime guarantee, we feel, is worth it and has proved so occasionally!
Hope this is helpful. Jenny & Ian
Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #12

We've been quite pleased with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Adventure-...owViewpoints=1

Its great to set up under the awning for those rainy days.

Dave
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Geo

Check out Camping World they are online
www.campingworld.com
We got a couple of small coffee table made from recycled plastic.
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
We've been quite pleased with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Adventure-...owViewpoints=1

Its great to set up under the awning for those rainy days.

Dave
I got one like this early last year at Camping World and later saw one on sale at Walmart so I got it too since my son wanted a separate table for the portable barbecue. I was putting it on the provided campground tables, but sometimes the smoke would drift toward us. I especially appreciate the light weight.