Power awning not working - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: TBD
Power awning not working

Hi, we recently purchased a 2017 escape and everything seems to work with the exception of the power awning. I'm hoping this is just user error. I have confirmed the interior switch to turn the awning on is turned to 'On'. I have tried with just the trailer batteries, the converter on and now plugged into shore power. I noticed in the Escape video when they switch the interior switch to 'On' the awning makes a noise. I do not hear any noise when turning the switch to on. I have a white remote from Simu that was I was told was for the awning. It just has an up/down button and light. A red light does come on when I use the remote but the awning does not respond. We have a second remote w a power button and up and down arrows, it is actually labeled 'Awning' but again, the awning does not respond to this remote. My guess is this is for the awning lights?

I have checked the fuse box and I do not see any fuses w/ a red light next to them. I read this post (https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ing-17015.html) but I can't seem to find the fuse or power lines leading to the awning interior switch. Its almost like they are behind the cabinet wall or something.

I'm at a bit of a loss for what to test/try. It seems like the awning doesn't have power but I have no way to confirm. I've attached pictures of everything. Where should I go from here? Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9399-scaled.jpg   IMG_9400.jpg   IMG_9401.jpg   IMG_9402.jpg  
Aqualunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I feel your pain. Mine goes in for a motor replace Monday. I am almost done. We replaced everything else, under warranty.

If you have strip lights under the awning, try and turn them on. That tells you the remote is working. I don't know if that remote has a battery in it. Chances are it does. Is it dead?

Get in touch with Escape and get the manual for that awning. Then you can probably reset the remote and test the connection. I did. I am available off line to talk about this if needed. I had to check the technicians work to see if it was correct, cause he was not sure. It was! First thing I did was check the lights, they worked. Motor didn't. Out she goes!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
There is a box located in the upper front passenger side cabinet that the remote speaks to. You need to make sure power is at least making it to there.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
On my trailer the box in the upper cabinet has a power indicator light on it. when the switch is on the blue light it lite. I not sure if it was the same in 2017 as your remote is not the same as mine.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

I do not see a box in the upper cabinet. I have looked multiple times as the other post on this mentions to look at this but I don't see it.

I managed to get the switch plate off and get to the actual wiring behind the switch. It seems to me there is a wire missing, I have attached a picture. I do see a wire w/ a connector that isn't attached but I dont know how to test or know if it's okay if I just try and connect it to the switch? Could I do any electrical damage if it's not wired correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9405.jpg   IMG_9403.jpg   IMG_9404.jpg  
Old 03-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualunger View Post
I do not see a box in the upper cabinet. I have looked multiple times as the other post on this mentions to look at this but I don't see it.

I managed to get the switch plate off and get to the actual wiring behind the switch. It seems to me there is a wire missing, I have attached a picture. I do see a wire w/ a connector that isn't attached but I dont know how to test or know if it's okay if I just try and connect it to the switch? Could I do any electrical damage if it's not wired correctly?

I think you found your problem . That switch should have two wires one would go to awning and the other to the fuse in the dc breaker. it may have fallen down in the wall . might be able to get it with a coat hanger. You could test the wire with a meter if it has power. but really don't matter because i think when you find the other wire it will work. if its in the wall could be a PITA. But i sure its there because it would need both to ever work. If you see a wire thats not attached go ahead and attach it. it should work then
Old 03-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
A switch with only one lead is not a switch. Good call.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. I connected the second wire to the switch and the awning worked. The LED lights are not working so that will be the next thing to figure out. It looks like it's just an LED strip so I'd imagine that went bad but need to figure out how I test power to that w/o breaking the strip.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I connected the second wire to the switch and the awning worked. The LED lights are not working so that will be the next thing to figure out. It looks like it's just an LED strip so I'd imagine that went bad but need to figure out how I test power to that w/o breaking the strip.

Thanks!

Glad you got it working.saved yourself a RV repair bill . My LED strip is turned on from the awning remote. some of the earlier ones may have had a second remote for the the lights. Looking at your remote I don't see a function for the light strip. Maybe someone with the same remote would jump in. It is possible the strip is bad,But I think is unlikely.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #10

There is suppose to be a little white box mounted somewhere that the remote connects to. I'm trying to track that down but not having any luck. I am wondering if it's a pairing issue or something else. I do have the remote and the LED on the remote comes in when I hit the buttons so that seems to be okay but maybe it needs to be repaired w/ the dimmer box?
Old 03-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
There is suppose to be a little white box mounted somewhere that the remote connects to. I'm trying to track that down but not having any luck. I am wondering if it's a pairing issue or something else. I do have the remote and the LED on the remote comes in when I hit the buttons so that seems to be okay but maybe it needs to be repaired w/ the dimmer box?
If the remote is working for awning then it should work for the light also. watch this video on operation. The remote in the video is the same as mine. https://escapetrailer.com/orientatio...ery-c1c6be0-17
Old 03-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #12

Yeah so my remote is different and getting up on a ladder to look at the lights its just an LED strip. There was a manual w/ the remote that said 'awning' that talks about the LED strip and how to install it. It appears to be this kit: https://www.rvlighting.ca/en/eco-led...all-switch-kit it's not built into the awning.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Yeah so my remote is different and getting up on a ladder to look at the lights its just an LED strip. There was a manual w/ the remote that said 'awning' that talks about the LED strip and how to install it. It appears to be this kit: https://www.rvlighting.ca/en/eco-led...all-switch-kit it's not built into the awning.

Is it possible that the other switch you have in the bag will control the lights? wish I could help you more, but mine is controlled on the same remote. it sure looks a lot like this one https://www.rvlighting.ca/en/eco-led...ch-remote-only
Old 03-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #14

Attached is s picture of the receiver for the remote. In the 19 its in the over head cabinet . on the 21 it may be in the shelving unit between door and bath.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210329_125520.jpg  
Old 03-29-2021, 02:21 PM   #15

Thanks. I have looked all over the camper for the recieving unit and can't find it. I have the backing plate that is in the picture @NEWYORKHILLBILLY and @eggscape have posted, I even took it off but nothing is behind there. There is a circular hole cut out but nothing behind that plate. I will go back through the camper tonight and see if I missed it but I also had my wife look.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have a 2017 and the awning light is a separate remote (in your picture) mine no longer works-i think i dropped it too many times. So, if you find a fix for the lights I would love to hear about it. I think my issue is that little remote- dropped it a few too many times...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
the awning light switch is the small remote edged in black its kind of cheep and flimsy. My guess is that's your issue and my issue.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 19 escape
Needed new remote

I had the same issue with our 2017 19. After checking as much as I could and replacing battery in remote I contacted Escape. Received a quick response and they suggested I replace the remote. This turned out to be the solution and after programming new remote (don’t skip a step) our awning is once again functioning.
First Promise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:03 PM   #19

For anyone following along I managed to find the controller box. It was behind the panel, so when I popped the cover off that @Eggscape posted I got my cell phone up there and took a picture and could see the box. I then managed to fish it out. I confirmed I have power going into the control box. Unfortunately this goes through another set of connectors before leaving the camper and going to the LED strip. These are hard to get to but I am 99% sure I got the multimeter on them and confirmed no power going to them. This leaves me with either the controller box being bad or the remote being bad. I ordered replacements and will see if they help in 7-10 days. I'm hoping it's just the remote and I can pair it with my current controller box and it fixes the issues. Kind of frustrating I can't get to the back most connectors, I hope they are good.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 escape 21
Before you get into it deep try an easy fix which happened to me before.Check the battery in the white awning remote. I would replace it. But first look and see if it is in upside down.