Power awning problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Power awning problem

First things first. I am NOT trying to start another debate about power awning vs. manual awning (admins, if it comes to that, you have my permission to delete this post.)
2018 Escape 21 picked up in November 2018 with Dometic 9500 Power Awning.
We used the awning several days ago getting things ready for our trip. It worked perfectly, even though it was raining (it was not out long enough to begin sagging from the rain).
We got to our campsite and - NOTHING! It won't extend or retract - the motor won't even start. When I press the extend button on the remote, the lights dim, the convertor fan comes on for a couple seconds and then the fan shuts off and the lights are fine. I have tried to reset the awning using the reset instructions and get the same results. Even pulled the fuse for that circuit and waited for a few minutes before putting the fuse back. Went so far as to replace the battery in the remote.
Have talked with Dave at ETI and he is stumped. Called Dometic and was told it may be a problem with the motor.
So...... Before I take it somewhere for warranty service, would anybody have any other ideas?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #2

Trailer: TBD
Even though the fuse may look good, replace it to see if that works.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
First things first. I am NOT trying to start another debate about power awning vs. manual awning (admins, if it comes to that, you have my permission to delete this post.)
2018 Escape 21 picked up in November 2018 with Dometic 9500 Power Awning.
We used the awning several days ago getting things ready for our trip. It worked perfectly, even though it was raining (it was not out long enough to begin sagging from the rain).
We got to our campsite and - NOTHING! It won't extend or retract - the motor won't even start. When I press the extend button on the remote, the lights dim, the convertor fan comes on for a couple seconds and then the fan shuts off and the lights are fine. I have tried to reset the awning using the reset instructions and get the same results. Even pulled the fuse for that circuit and waited for a few minutes before putting the fuse back. Went so far as to replace the battery in the remote.
Have talked with Dave at ETI and he is stumped. Called Dometic and was told it may be a problem with the motor.
So...... Before I take it somewhere for warranty service, would anybody have any other ideas?
The indication is that the awning motor is pulling too many amps. You might try extending the awning manually to see if it is binding.

If the Awning is not binding, time for a visit to Dometic.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
A topic of discussion last year was that people going into the rear of the electrical panel found...as I did...many of the wires were not tight into the panel. All my screws needed to be tighten up on the wires.
I will see if I can find a picture to show you where to check.
Others may want to speak to this point as well.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would suggest you disconnect all sources of power...remove the front panel of the electrical panel...make sure all wires are inserted into the connector strips probably and tighten the screws. While you are in there you might as well check all the screws.

Also check the ground post on the back of the panel for loose wires.
Attached Thumbnails
10A113C0-02FF-483B-A564-C0D6E63CF871.jpg   30E52455-0F29-40DF-9D43-AE61D5FAC41B.jpg   E0232C73-A4AF-43B0-9486-8799C9A019D0.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
If you are having the lights dim and converter fan coming on and the awning is not moving it sounds like the motor has either failed or is jammed. You could try manually moving it out a small amount then see if the awning will operate or take it to a dealer. My suggestion is to have warranty service done, it should not do what yours is doing. After it is out of warranty then we could try a few things.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just checked, in the files section, we do not have the power awning operation manual, the file we have is for the manual awning. Can anyone send in for our files section a pdf of the power awning manual/ thanks for any help
Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Gary, does the awning make a loud beep when you turn on the power switch by the door?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just checked, in the files section, we do not have the power awning operation manual, the file we have is for the manual awning. Can anyone send in for our files section a pdf of the power awning manual/ thanks for any help

Check your home email
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
First things first. I am NOT trying to start another debate about power awning vs. manual awning
Darn. Where’s the fun in that?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Check your home email
Got it and posted in the files section, thanks
Old 02-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #12

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've replaced the fuse, nothing. Tried to extend the awning manually and it won't budge - thinking the motor is maybe jammed? Seems like the awning should at least move a little. The unit does beep when it is turned on, so I know power is getting there (blue lights are on). The only thing I have not checked is the electrical connections from the convertor - sounds like a job for our next stop. Things to all for the help, but I'm thinking a warranty job is coming up.
Oh, one other thing. The manual for the power awning shows a different remote (bulkier looking and with just the buttons). The one we have has four buttons and is flatter.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:49 AM   #13

I just read the new .pdf files sent to me by member ken wetzk last night. These instructions are a little different than the original instructions I received with mine. The remote is totally different, mine was a 3 button remote, in/out/stop. In addition the adjustment for closing was done manually in the adjusting .pdf file which Reace prepared. This new model has an electronic adjusting on the ends for closure issues. Maybe improvements have been made, will not know until May when I receive my new one.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #14

Just looked at the files and the reset instructions are completely different than what I have. Gonna try these after while. Thanks!!!!!
Old 02-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Main reason I did not order a new Escape was because at the time the power awning was only option so sorry to hear you are having the problem. If the awning is designed to also manually pull out and it is not them something is binding it I would think. Dumb question maybe but the manual one has a lock on it that you flip to unlock it to open it, any chance the power one does as well?
Hope you get the problem solved and enjoy your camping trip .

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Thank you Jim and Wetzk for posting the information on the power awning .
Now if I can only remember where it is this spring so I can knock one more item off my to do list .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #17

Update.
So, we are home and I have an appointment to take the trailer to a dealer in the morning for a look at the awning (and THAT is another story!). Getting some things out today and the wife says, let's try the awning.
So....... Powered on and grabbed the remote. What happens - you can guess. Works perfectly!
Extended and retracted several times without a problem. Gonna go check it again after while and then in the morning. If it works, I may cancel the appointment. Then again I just may have it checked out to be sure all is OK. Just hate to drive the 50 miles.
ANY THOUGHTS?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
You mentioned that you haven’t checked the electrical connections. Could be that on the trip home as your escape bounced alittle it made better connection. Look n ck n hopefully save yourself a 50 mile trip.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote