Power awning unfolded right into an oak tree - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have a manual awning and so far it has been "fine". But I was gazing at it while we were camping this weekend while it was retracted because of the high winds. if we somehow bought another trailer, I am not sure I would get any awning, manual or automatic. Between the winds and using a clam shelter to escape the bugs, we don't use the awning all that often. And there are often trees that provide an adequate amount of shade.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
On our first trip out, I extended the awning out, just a couple of feet close to a cedar post. The remote was in my pocket and I accidentally triggered the button. It did hit the cedar post with a tiny dent, and I panicked and hit all the buttons at one time and it started to retract. My heart was racing and then thanked God over and over that I hit the right button. I’m not even religious. The new remotes are so sensitive.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Between the winds and using a clam shelter to escape the bugs, we don't use the awning all that often. And there are often trees that provide an adequate amount of shade.
Of course it depends on where and when you're using the trailer. Our uses, probably in equal measure, are shade and a dry area outside the door.

With flopper stoppers we rarely ever have to take the awning in because of wind. We always appreciate being able to stand outside in the dry and shed rain soaked jackets etc. before stepping into the trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Sorry to hear about this. The awning uses a remote with a wireless signal. Is it possible that something nearby had the same signal frequency which triggered the awning to open?
Not sure if there is any validity to the rouge wireless signal theory but from what I can tell from SIMU documentation (they make the remote system for Dometic) it appears to operate at 433.42 MHz. Some garage door openers and auto keyless entry systems can also operate at this frequency.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC;3580[LIST=1
[*]06]
With flopper stoppers we rarely ever have to take the awning in because of wind. We always appreciate being able to stand outside in the dry and shed rain soaked jackets etc. before stepping into the trailer.

Ron
What are “flopper stoppers”?
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
What are “flopper stoppers”?
The proper name is deflapper.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Awning-...964887&sr=8-45

We had these in use and our screen room up last year in the Black Hills when a big storm came up in the evening (there were tornado warnings). We ended up taking everything down in the middle of the storm as the pegs holding the screen room down came out of the ground and the awning was REALLY flapping.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Adrian,
I thought those wall clouds and straight line winds in South Dakota were like no other til we had the derecho here this summer. I’m still cleaning up down here. We had a little front come through the other day in southern Illinois and took the awning down for about a half an hour and then put it back up. Had to be able to hang the flashing ghost lights for my three grandchildren trick or treaters. I have de- flappers that we use on occasion and they work ok.
Hope you and Beth are doing well.
Iowa Dave and Rita
Attached Thumbnails
88E42912-4D40-4546-B774-37D6307E00DB.jpg  
Old 10-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Great picture, I like the hat with the green pole........
Old 10-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hanging pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Great picture, I like the hat with the green pole........
Meant to hang a lantern, the chinstrap on that witch hat is pretty tough but her neck is tougher. Had a great time and picked up a lot of Hickory nuts. Passed on two Hen of the Woods mushrooms I found growing. Did not need the intestinal stimuli.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
The proper name is deflapper.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Awning-...964887&sr=8-45

We had these in use and our screen room up last year in the Black Hills when a big storm came up in the evening (there were tornado warnings). We ended up taking everything down in the middle of the storm as the pegs holding the screen room down came out of the ground and the awning was REALLY flapping.
FYI. I tried the Carefree Metal Canopy Clamps that get riveted to a hole in the awning side bar on the Fiesta awning. Unfortunately they interfered with the awning closing properly and I had to remove them. I like the Camco ones for temporary install and adjustability.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've never used a deflapper. I pull down on the arm and tighten the black knob. That keeps the awning taut.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
manual awning?

We avoided the electric awning too, but nothing is fool-proof. Our manual has those swing arms that slide UP the main arms..to lock into the ends of the rollers..
one slide arm "jumped the track" last trip..had to unscrew that tiny allen screw to slide it back up the track..make sure YOU carry the proper allen wrenches..[another tool needed for camping..siiigh]
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I have electric awning, like it better than manual, and gets used more often in my case. I'm very cautious, I've seen a few destroyed awnings. I'm often amazed at other people leaving their awnings out in bad weather, leaving, or overnight. I don't use the awning very often, but from time to time it's the bomb on a hot day with no breeze. I can usually find some shade from the trailer, but not always.

when we picked up our trailer Jul 2018, we were told to be sure to turn off the inside power button. they said could even be opened by another remote while driving down the highway. this thread verifies the issue. sorry you apparently were not told about this issue at your orientation. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
one slide arm "jumped the track" last trip..had to unscrew that tiny allen screw to slide it back up the track.
Was that because the black knob hadn't been loosened?

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I'm often amazed at other people leaving their awnings out in bad weather, leaving, or overnight.
I leave my awning out overnight because I am usually using it as protection from rain, and have my chairs and other gear under it. Of course, last week, when camping next to my brother, we were both out in our skivvies at 3:00am taking our awnings in because a strong wind came up along with the heavy rain. So was the guy on the other side of me.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #36

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I leave my awning out overnight because I am usually using it as protection from rain, and have my chairs and other gear under it. Of course, last week, when camping next to my brother, we were both out in our skivvies at 3:00am taking our awnings in because a strong wind came up along with the heavy rain. So was the guy on the other side of me.
If we do leave it out at night or when leaving, we unscrew the top arm and then put the awning in so it's fully braced and out about 3-4 feet. It's really, really strong when out in the short position. It took a couple of nights in my skivvies to figure that one out.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #37

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
If we do leave it out at night or when leaving, we unscrew the top arm and then put the awning in so it's fully braced and out about 3-4 feet. It's really, really strong when out in the short position. It took a couple of nights in my skivvies to figure that one out.

Enjoy,

Perry
I went out the next morning and figured out exactly that very thing - how short could I make the awning. Any hints on quieting the rattling?
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #38

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Hey look! I now have a manual awning. You just use a ratchet any time you want to extend it. Carefully!

I am waiting on a call from Dustin at Escape. I gave him my cell phone number Yesterday. Now we can see how long it takes to get a phone call on a critical issue. Glad I didn't wait for an answer last night! I know he is busy.
It may be a while before you hear from him. He and his staff of engineers are working on a solution to the gray tank leak problem. Allegedly. Before the warranty period expires too I might add.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #39

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I went out the next morning and figured out exactly that very thing - how short could I make the awning. Any hints on quieting the rattling?
Once you have the awning out, flip the lever to retract, retract it as much as possible, and then tighten the upper arms. We do watch the weather on our phones, but if we're uncomfortable with the report, or don't have service, the awning is fully retracted.

The worst wind I've ever encountered was in Badlands National Park in the 90's, camping with my 12 year old daughter, in our hard-sided Palimino popup. The wheel on one side would actually leave the ground and when the storm was over the camper was moved a couple of feet to the side. We moved everything to wind side, including ourselves, to keep the wheel down as much as possible and sat out the storm. Two all-canvas popups were blown over (canvas can act like a sail) and it looked like a disaster area in the morning with tents and gear all over the place. Trina and I still talk about that night!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Once you have the awning out, flip the lever to retract, retract it as much as possible, and then tighten the upper arms. We do watch the weather on our phones, but if we're uncomfortable with the report, or don't have service, the awning is fully retracted.

The worst winds I've ever encountered was in Badlands National Park in the 90's, camping with my 12 year old daughter, in our hard-sided Palimino popup. The wheel on one side would actually leave the ground and when the storm was over the camper was moved a couple of feet to the side. We moved everything to wind side, including ourselves, to keep the wheel down as much as possible. Two all-canvas popups we blown over (canvas can act like a sail) and it looked like a disaster area in the morning with tents and gear all over the place. Trina and I still talk about that night!

Enjoy,

Perry
I hear you about Badlands, probably the same storm when I was working up there for the Park Service on a project with an employee from Badlands. We were driving north to Theodore Roosevelt NP to install some It equipment. We must have seen ten semis blown over on their side. Nature bats last I like to quote.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote