Pressure too low - Spitfire 180 Grill with QC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Pressure too low - Spitfire 180 Grill with QC

Using the Spitfire with the low pressure adapter and the quick connect off the trailer. The flame is much lower than I expected with the grill turned all the way up. Inadequate temps and cooking takes a very long time. Surprising since others have reported issues with the grill being too hot. Ideas?
Old 04-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Bryan, I have similar issues with my Spitfire that I have not yet resolved satisfactorily. I don't know if this will help you but the Spitfire manual suggests that you adjust the venturi.

If that does not work, your choices seem to be to check the propane pressure supplied to the quick connect to see if it is as expected (and adjust regulator if necessary), and to check the low pressure valve on your Spitfire grill to see if it is functioning properly.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Is the quick connect high or low pressure?
If the quick connect is direct off of the propane tanks, it would be high pressure and the adaptor on the Spitfire would properly regulate the gas pressure for the Spitfire.
If the quick connect is in line behind the regulator, it becomes low pressure. If the Spitfire has it's own regulator in addition to being in line with the regulator off of the propane tanks, you are reducing the gas pressure twice through the two regulators. This would result in low flame height and inadequate temperatures.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That may be it. Our Camp chef oven has a regulator for use with small bottles and we take it off when we use the quick connect. Got another hose to use straight from tank placed on picnic table and needed the regulator. Got the low flame once and it required blowing out the hose( a different one from that supplied by ETI for quick connect).
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Bryan can correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that he has replaced the regulator on the Spitfire grill with a low pressure valve and has hooked his grill supply line directly to the low pressure quick connect fitting supplied by Escape (near the door on the 19'). If this is the case, then he has the setup correct and the problem must be related to the venturi, the low pressure valve on the grill itself, or the supply pressure at the low pressure quick connect fitting. I have firsthand experience with this same issue. See post #158 of http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...q-1751-16.html

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
RBryon indicated in his post that his Spitfire has the optional low-pressure adapter so it's not an issue of having two regulators.
I've messed with the venturi and with the regulator control ( high pressure ) on mine trying to get the flame right. In the end, Dickinson sent me a new regulator.
So, I would start with the venturi adjustment as per the instruction manual.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Tip. Take a picture of your venturi before you adjust it. Trying to remember exactly where it was when I started messing with it, doesn't work for me.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Thanks all for the info. It's getting much hotter now. The Venturi was wide open so I adjusted it to where the slots are barely visible. There is a hitch in the regulator knob too. Turns out if you turn it "all the way up" the flame actually goes down. Need to stop at the first click when turning it up. Wouldn't have known this except I just tested it in the darkness, so the flame level was easy to see without looking in the side hole.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I somehow missed this thread.

Robert, I too adjusted my venturi to fine tune the flame, and get it burning hotter. My next step would have been to adjust the trailer regulator, I know I had to do that on my last trailer, as even the stove inside was pathetic until I did so.

And yes, like most gas valves, it opens first at full volume, then reduces as you turn it further. I know most stove tops are this way too. I believe this is a safety feature, so that it ignites at full volume.

Happy Grilling
Notice I never said BBQing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My next step would have been to adjust the trailer regulator, I know I had to do that on my last trailer, as even the stove inside was pathetic until I did so.

Fill me in Jim. How would one adjust the regulator at the tanks? I see a black knob on the front of the regulator so I assume it has something to do with that?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hard to believe if your other appliances are working well that an adjustment would help that bbq....but I could be wrong.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hard to believe if your other appliances are working well that an adjustment would help that bbq....but I could be wrong.

True. My question was about how to adjust the tank regulator, but I wasn't suggesting it was needed. I just like to know how things work.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Fill me in Jim. How would one adjust the regulator at the tanks? I see a black knob on the front of the regulator so I assume it has something to do with that?
You take the cap off the front of the regulator, and you will see an adjustment screw. Clockwise adjustment will increase the pressure, counter clockwise will reduce.

It works just like a water pressure regulator does, if you have one at home.

Do keep track of how much you have adjusted, and only go a small amount. Not sure the pitfalls of over pressuring, I think you could risk a flame blowing out? I would be cautious, nonetheless. An RV shop has a gauge to check the output pressure. I looked at buying one years ago, but they were around $100 then, I believe. I believe 11" water column is normal.

I doubt a new pressure regulator is very far off though. The one I tweaked was about 10 years old at the time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape
How to adjust LP regulator pressure for gas appliances
I hooked up the free end of the tubing to a stove gas supply at the burner. And yes, the pressure was low.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #15

That would sure be easy to make up, Bob. I might just have to give that a try this summer. Maybe then check out my mom's, and a few other trailers.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
They work great Jim, I have one sitting in the shop I made years ago and found the pressure low (1.5") on my 19. Turned it up and had to keep my fridge on a lower setting or it froze the lettuce. The stove also seamed to work better.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #17

Trailer: not yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
They work great Jim, I have one sitting in the shop I made years ago and found the pressure low (1.5") on my 19. Turned it up and had to keep my fridge on a lower setting or it froze the lettuce. The stove also seamed to work better.

Cheers
Doug
Could some of the issues with the Dometic fridge be low propane pressure?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I'm no expert but I think not.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post

I agree with Doug. While low propane pressure will make a fridge run less cool while it's on propane, the fridge issues that have been recorded here occur regardless of the fuel source.