Progressive Industries EMS reading high - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Progressive Industries EMS reading high

We are on the road in KY and our EMS keeps tripping with a high voltage reading. When it first occurred the local campground tech showed 127 volts at the power pole and I showed 131v to 135v on the EMS. For the last three days it works ok until the late afternoon (like now [emoji4]) and it trips with high voltage. Currently showing 136v inside and as high as 140v. I have a call into the campground to check it at the power pole again to compare. (Next time I’ll bring a multimeter!).

Anything else I can check? If I get another reading at the power pole that is a lot different than at the EMS do I have a bad EMS? If so, can I place it in bypass and deal with it with PI when we get home?
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #2

Update: we had to run on bypass several times during our stay. The campground mx guy stopped by a second time and the voltage at the power pole was 127v again and on the EMS was 133v. It would cycle off repeatedly at 133v to 134v as the EMS is designed.

I was suspecting a bad EMS now I don’t know.

We moved to a new campground and the EMS is showing a solid 123v to 125v. (We watch it constantly). We have no problems here. We have two more campgrounds before we get home so two more data points along with a third when we get home.

Can voltage fluctuate so much in a campground?

Is there a plug in voltage meter I can buy so I can watch the voltage at the power pole and compare to the EMS without using a multimeter?
Old 06-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I check the voltage at the pole before I plug in with one of these and a 30a to 15a adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course the above meter will only show the current voltage, not spikes or sags that might happen later.

It sounds like the EMS was doing its job. Bypassing it could damage the devices in your trailer.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 17B
Progressive Industries sent this to me when I had to calibrate mine. I have no idea if your problem is the same as mine but mine was also shutting down all the time. A photo was included but I can’t seem to copy it from my email to this post. I’ll keep trying

Step#1. Shut power off to the EMS unit.

Step#2. Remove the six screws that hold the cover on. Remove the cover.

Step#3. Turn power back on.

Step#4.With a multi-meter take a A/C voltage reading at L1 on the contactor= red lead on L 1 black lead on L 2. Take that reading and compare it to what the display of the EMS is reading if they are more than +/- 2 volts then the pot on the logic board needs to be adjusted.

Step #5. Locate the logic board, You will see a Little Blue Box that has a Gold screw similar to what a pair of eye glasses has. This is will be located between the orange plugs and the red led light. See circled item in picture below.

Once you have found this screw you need to adjust it. While watching the display of the Ems adjust the gold screw either clockwise to adjust it up or counter clock wise to turn it down ( 1/8th of a turn at a time) until the Display voltage matches what you have on your Multimeter.
Brad Schneider
Technical Service Representative
800.307.6702 direct
progressivetech@powerprodllc.com

Description: cid:image001.jpg@01D407E5.D9AC9B20
www.progressiveindustries.net
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:29 PM   #5

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I’ll get the voltage monitor and when we return I’ll check it properly and calibrate it if necessary.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

An update for readers in the future. We stayed at three additional campgrounds after our stay in Kentucky (Taylorsville Lake SP). We had no other issues with our EMS. With three additional data points all showing the same we now believe the problem was with the campground power and not our EMS. The maintenance team at the SP was very helpful. They didn’t see any issues with the power pedestal but he did make the comment when leaving that the campsite had a new power pedestal. It makes me wonder if they had a problem all along.

I bought a plug in voltage meter to carry in the future and now know I can calibrate the EMS if necessary.

In any event, we learned a lot and will be much better prepared if something similar happens in the future.

John
Old 07-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Glad I found this thread, went to check voltage in my trailer and found the EMS is showing 3 volts lower than the actual voltage, (tested with and without load) it was an easy adjustment following the instructions above.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We stayed at three additional campgrounds after our stay in Kentucky (Taylorsville Lake SP). We had no other issues with our EMS. With three additional data points all showing the same we now believe the problem was with the campground power and not our EMS.
You might not have had any issues, but that just means those campgrounds had consistently lower voltage than the one you had problems with. You might still be reading higher on the EMS than those campgrounds were delivering, so definitely worth checking with your voltmeter for comparison.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
You might not have had any issues, but that just means those campgrounds had consistently lower voltage than the one you had problems with. You might still be reading higher on the EMS than those campgrounds were delivering, so definitely worth checking with your voltmeter for comparison.

Agree, this occurred to me. The weird thing at Taylorsville Lake SP was that while is consistently read high (128-132), it also spiked a few times to the high 130s.

I will watch it in the future and compare. I see a spreadsheet in my future. [emoji4]