Propane alarm - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
My trailer is plugged in so i cant imagine my batteries are charging up wildly!
If the batteries are mostly discharged and there is little 12V power demand (stuff running) when the trailer is plugged in, they will charge at close to 55 amps for a while; that's the highest charging rate they'll likely ever see. But this will only last for a few hours.

Quote:
what about those AGM (?) batteries do they set it off? seems less expensive then Lithium.
AGM (and gel) batteries are sometimes called "sealed lead-acid", but are properly called "valve-regulated lead-acid"; they do not vent anything in normal use (charging or discharging), but can vent excess pressure in case of excessive current flow or temperature. They typically fix the false propane alarm problem.

AGM are much less expensive than lithium, but are very different; no one would switch to lithium just to avoid false propane alarms.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
My experience is like TDF. I finally bought some automotive type weatherstrip. It is C shape with steel insert. Was a bear to install but alarms went away. Gas from charging the culprit. Lid is still easy to remove.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Is there any way to shut the thing the off?? Yes I know it's a safety feature probably worth having, but one of my biggest worries is having the thing go off in the middle of the night and no way to turn it off, other than airing out the trailer. Also, they warned us when we picked our trailer up, if we have a gassy dog sleeping on the floor, it would react to the methane and go off. Well, we have a gassy dog, and now he can't sleep in the trailer with us! Yes it's funny and all that (and caused us to name it the "f*rt detector"), but I would also like my dog to be able to sleep in the trailer.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Is there any way to shut the thing the off?? Yes I know it's a safety feature probably worth having, but one of my biggest worries is having the thing go off in the middle of the night and no way to turn it off, other than airing out the trailer. Also, they warned us when we picked our trailer up, if we have a gassy dog sleeping on the floor, it would react to the methane and go off. Well, we have a gassy dog, and now he can't sleep in the trailer with us! Yes it's funny and all that (and caused us to name it the "f*rt detector"), but I would also like my dog to be able to sleep in the trailer.
No reason (other than the obvious of having it turned off) you can't add a switch. After coming back to the trailer with the alarm alarming too many times, I added a switch. As long as I'm camped with hookups or use minimal amp hours on solar, I can leave it on, but if I have to hit the batteries hard, I switched it off. No longer a problem with the lithium batteries.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The very reason I am installing AGM batteries.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
My experience is like TDF. I finally bought some automotive type weatherstrip. It is C shape with steel insert. Was a bear to install but alarms went away. Gas from charging the culprit. Lid is still easy to remove.
Could you post a link to the weatherstrip you used? The duct seal works but it is a #$$% to get the cover back off.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I just duct taped the box, still a bear to remove, but no alarms since doing so. Tried the duct putty and it was even worse to remove then the duct tape.

I cut put in spade lug connections when I replaced the sensor a couple years ago, that's my emergency disconnect if needed. Easy enough to put in a toggle if you wish, it's just a 2 wire connection.

I think a better fix for this would be to move the sensor to the other side of the trailer, away from the batteries, which I thought ETI had done. ETI should install AGM's on all trailers that have internal batteries, I would have paid the bump in price without complaint.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Could you post a link to the weatherstrip you used? The duct seal works but it is a #$$% to get the cover back off.
I looked on my Ebay accnt yesterday and it must be too long ago. I will look today and see if i kept the left over. I'll take a picture and measure if nothing else.

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Is there a vent to the outside for these batteries?
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #30

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Quote:
OK not fixed still going off- vacuumed it, turned off propane, trailer fully charged. Trailer is 2017 do i replace it? not the trailer just the alarm....
Yeah, it's a pretty inexpensive fix. I replaced mine with this one I found on eBay for 40 bucks - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Atwood-L...0/182875708555. Works fine.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #31

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
Is there a vent to the outside for these batteries?
Yes.
To date we have had no false alarms with ours. I test all alarms weekly and the propane alarm tests OK.
We even have a dog.
Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
OK finally got in the trailer yesterday. Bought the weatherstrip on Ebay similar to this. Don't have the original strip info anymore. I removed the original foam tape from the lid.
Attached Thumbnails
1a.jpg   2a.jpg   3a.jpg  

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #33

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
OK finally got in the trailer yesterday. Bought the weatherstrip on Ebay similar to this. Don't have the original strip info anymore. I removed the original foam tape from the lid.

That looks like good stuff.

I have no skin in the game as our 19’s batteries are in the tongue box, so no false alarm woes, but that said, I’m still intrigued by the solution with the voltage-activated fan providing positive pressure to vent the battery box while charging. Did anyone actually do this?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I’m still intrigued by the solution with the voltage-activated fan providing positive pressure to vent the battery box while charging. Did anyone actually do this?
It seems like such a fan should be rated for use around flammable gasses, given that you're venting hydrogen.

This is on my mind because at some point I intend to install a small thermostatically-controlled muffin fan to vent that compartment (outside the battery box). I have a ham radio in it now, and I intend to install an MPPT solar controller, a BtoB charger, and maybe an RF amplifier for the radio. They will all get hot.

I've moved my propane detector to the opposite storage compartment so at least now I have a hole for an intake vent. Looking on the bright side here.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
It seems like such a fan should be rated for use around flammable gasses, given that you're venting hydrogen.

This is on my mind because at some point I intend to install a small thermostatically-controlled muffin fan to vent that compartment (outside the battery box). I have a ham radio in it now, and I intend to install an MPPT solar controller, a BtoB charger, and maybe an RF amplifier for the radio. They will all get hot.

I've moved my propane detector to the opposite storage compartment so at least now I have a hole for an intake vent. Looking on the bright side here.
There are muffin / computer fans rated for Class 1 Div 2 group B ( Hydrogen ) locations available but they are extremely expensive .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #36

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Someone posted a link to a nice looking purpose-made battery box fan awhile ago. Somewhere. In a thread. Somewhere.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This looks like the one mentioned in #32 https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-Edg...10090301008005
Old 06-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I wish success to those trying to make the battery box hydrogen leakproof, remember that it is the lightest and tiniest molecule there is. Getting a perfect seal around both the lid & wiring is tough. I never managed with repeated attempts, although it was only a problem when the solar controller was cranking out lots of current in the boost mode. Never had the propane detector go off when plugged in...
Old 06-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Someone posted a link to a nice looking purpose-made battery box fan awhile ago. Somewhere. In a thread. Somewhere.
Here you go...
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post282075
Old 06-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
No reason (other than the obvious of having it turned off) you can't add a switch. After coming back to the trailer with the alarm alarming too many times, I added a switch. As long as I'm camped with hookups or use minimal amp hours on solar, I can leave it on, but if I have to hit the batteries hard, I switched it off. No longer a problem with the lithium batteries.
I added a switch, but not because of random false alarms. I keep the propane alarm disconnected when the propane is shut off at the tank. That extends the life of the alarm, which is not altogether cheap to replace.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote