Propane alarm beeping nonstop while gas is off - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Propane alarm beeping nonstop while gas is off

Multiple times our propane alarm goes off incessantly while the gas is off. Like all day. In the past, airing out the camper ended it.

Last time it happened and again today, no amount of airing out stopped the alarm. He feels that the last two times, including once it was beeping all day, opening the refrigerator stopped it. Both times the refrigerator was off for weeks and propped open with the little gray thingies before he opened it, and when he opened it, the silenced alarm never restarted.

Any ideas what's going on?
Old 04-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
They're sensitive. Stinky feet and smelly athletic shoes can set it off. When was the last time you vacuumed the face plate?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
They're sensitive. Stinky feet and smelly athletic shoes can set it off. When was the last time you vacuumed the face plate?
Hm, can't say I ever did that! I'll do it now!

I know Escape said they were sensitive, but couldn't understand why it would suddenly go off in an empty camper! I'll vacuum it for sure!
Old 04-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, if you don't have a vacuum, you can wipe the face-plate with a damp cloth.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Also check the seal on your battery
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Also check the seal on your battery
Ok so I'm not used to tending to batteries. Does this mean just lift the lids off, make sure the seal looks good and put the lids back on?
Old 04-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If you are on shore power (plugged in to the electrical grid) try switching off the battery switch. If that corrects the beeping problem, send me a PM and I will explain what is going on.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If you are on shore power (plugged in to the electrical grid) try switching off the battery switch. If that corrects the beeping problem, send me a PM and I will explain what is going on.
Of course that will stop the alarm. The propane detector requires power. No power, no alarm. I read on the CasitaForum where owners pull the fuse to shut it up, but that allows power to continue throughout the trailer.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Of course that will stop the alarm. The propane detector requires power. No power, no alarm. I read on the CasitaForum where owners pull the fuse to shut it up, but that allows power to continue throughout the trailer.
Wrong, Donna, unless ETI wired your trailer differently than they did mine. Yours was built shortly before mine, so I doubt it. My propane detector remains powered up when the battery switch is off.
When on shore power, the converter provides 12v to all appliances, and sends current to the battery(ies) to keep them charged. It also goes into boost mode, depending on the converter. The battery switch keeps current from going to or coming from the battery, but the propane detector is connected between the battery box snd the switch.
Fully charged batteries can release small amounts of hydrogen, which can set off the propane detector. The battery box is poorly sealed and the vent is at the bottom……hydrogen is lighter than air so it rises. The problem is exacerbated by solar power, if it is keeping the battery(ies) charged when on shore power. They DO NOT need extra current from the converter which splits water molecules in the electrolyte into oxygen and hydrogen by hydrolysis.
I spent many hours a few years back because “you haven’t lived until you have been ripped from your dreams” three nights in a row around 2:00 or 3:00 am when the propane tanks are valved OFF.
I believe you are incorrect on the battery switch statement. But I would be curious if the next time you are in Ten Forward if you can check. I am curious if ETI did wire yours on the out side of the battery switch.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
It took us 3 times to make the connection that warming up mulled wine on the stove was setting ours off.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Wrong, Donna, unless ETI wired your trailer differently than they did mine. Yours was built shortly before mine, so I doubt it. My propane detector remains powered up when the battery switch is off.
Yep, must be because the propane detector in Ten Forward is definitely OFF when the battery disconnect switch is turned to off. Zero lights on the detector, except when the battery disconnect switch is turned on. I found this out last year when I got a call from the manager of the storage yard the detector was blaring. Went over, threw the switch off... silence. The detector aged out, I replaced it a couple of weeks ago...

On Edit: I see Jon mentioned "when connected to shore power." In my case when the power switch is turned off, it's when NOT connected to shore power. Sorry for any confusion...
Old 05-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Ok so I'm not used to tending to batteries. Does this mean just lift the lids off, make sure the seal looks good and put the lids back on?
The lead acid batteries used by Escape require maintenance. You should periodically open the cover & check the water level in the batteries. It should be just below the "ring" inside the cell. Add distilled water to charged batteries to bring the liquid up to that level.

Hydrogen (the gas produced when heavily charging the batteries) is a light, thin gas that can leak through just about any seal. In addition, the vent provided by Escape is half way down the battery box. I doubt it vents all that much of a very light gas.

Some owners have switched to AGM batteries that rarely vent & do not require watering. Others have switched to lithium. In any case, you should spend some time inside the battery box.

As to the propane alarm, it can sound for many reasons besides a propane leak. Battery and pet (as well as human) gas, propellents for many sprays, low battery, dust, and, in many cases, just plain defective.

And for general information, the converter (when shore power is connected) still provides power to the propane detector in my 2017 21C with the battery switch off.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #13

Wasn’t there a post a while ago about someone putting in a small twelve volt fan to evacuate the battery box better through the vent ?. With batteries inside the trailer on the 21 perhaps that box should be redesigned with an active fan from the git.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Wasn’t there a post a while ago about someone putting in a small twelve volt fan to evacuate the battery box better through the vent ?. With batteries inside the trailer on the 21 perhaps that box should be redesigned with an active fan from the git.
I would personally not recommend that. 12v motors can spark. Spark plus hydrogen = boom!
Old 05-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Yep, must be because the propane detector in Ten Forward is definitely OFF when the battery disconnect switch is turned to off. Zero lights on the detector, except when the battery disconnect switch is turned on. I found this out last year when I got a call from the manager of the storage yard the detector was blaring. Went over, threw the switch off... silence. The detector aged out, I replaced it a couple of weeks ago...

On Edit: I see Jon mentioned "when connected to shore power." In my case when the power switch is turned off, it's when NOT connected to shore power. Sorry for any confusion...
No problem, Donna. In my original response I believe I said “If connected to shore power….”
I have never checked if went off when off grid with the battery switch off. You are probably correct about that. Through many trials (and tribulations), I have found that shutting off the battery switch when connected to shore power and with sunlight charging the batteries during the daytime hours, I haven't (knock on wood) had any midnight “wake-up calls.” I also had a chat with the owner of MTI who told me their propane detector will last longer if powered off when not in use. I put mine on a toggle switch in a tight spot in the dinette when I was having all the false alarm problems. I switch it off in storage because I leave the battery switch on to keep the batteries charged and I want to extend the life of the somewhat expensive propane detector as much as possible. Because of the indicator lights, a quick glance verifies it is on when the trailer is occupied.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Multiple times our propane alarm goes off incessantly while the gas is off. Like all day. In the past, airing out the camper ended it.

Last time it happened and again today, no amount of airing out stopped the alarm. He feels that the last two times, including once it was beeping all day, opening the refrigerator stopped it. Both times the refrigerator was off for weeks and propped open with the little gray thingies before he opened it, and when he opened it, the silenced alarm never restarted.

Any ideas what's going on?
Maybe you need to replace the unit. Had to on our 2017 5.0 last year.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #17

I would doubt it is at end of life in a trailer that is two-three years old.

I do know of an Escape owner who’s propane detector went off. He had used his Weber Q grill with a 1 pound disposable cylinder, disconnected it, and put the cylinder in a storage compartment. Those throw-always are notorious for having leaking valves, especially after they have been used, and he found it was leaking propane causing the alarm to go off.

If nothing else, I would remove the detector early some morning, and using jumpers (perhaps with alligator clips), hook it up in the open air to the tow vehicles battery, and see if it goes off. It very well could be a defective detector, but I am inclined to believe it is responding to something inside the trailer.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 escape 5.0TA
We own a 2019 5.0TA after one year it started going off every few days and would then stay on.. Apparantly it is a common problem.. We put a toggle switch to enable us to turn it off and on. The switch is located inside of the cabinetry next to the alarm. works well.
cphoenix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #19

Quote:
I would personally not recommend that. 12v motors can spark. Spark plus hydrogen = boom!
good point
Old 05-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We too have had various false propane alarms, commonly from charging batteries with the trailer closed tight. Last fall we covered the trailer and put in a Caframo Stor-Dry unit to help combat condensation. It was a new unit and gave off a smell, possibly lubricant or some manufacturing off gassing that was very strong and of course it triggered the propane alarm. (Propane was turned off). So, I cut the alarm out for the winter and reinstalled it along with an on/off switch (located switch inside the dinette seat next to the battery box). So far, so good.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote