Propane Cover on 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Propane Cover on 19

The propane cover on our 19 is literally wedged between the electric Jack storage box. Anyone else have this issue? It's chaffing the box and Jack.

Any options?
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I had the same problem. I ended up cutting out a portion of the cover such that the lid to the storage box would open. Doesn't affect much.
Attached Thumbnails
propane covera.JPG  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I wasn't going to mention cutting the propane cover as some folks might recoil in horror at the thought of cutting it. But since you mention it, I also cut mine to accommodate my solar panel mast. My thinking was that, if at a later date, that wasn't needed, tank covers are pretty cheap. I reinforced mine because my cut is vertical the whole height of the tank cover.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
07-01-2015 9-45-14 AM1_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Before cutting mine, I had opted to put the hard cover in storage, and bought one of those fabric-like covers from Camping World. It lasted one season, and when it became apparent I would be buying a new one every year, well....

The cut I made only goes down an inch or so, doesn't impact the structural integrity.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Before cutting mine, I had opted to put the hard cover in storage, and bought one of those fabric-like covers from Camping World. It lasted one season, and when it became apparent I would be buying a new one every year, well....

The cut I made only goes down an inch or so, doesn't impact the structural integrity.
I also cut ours for the electric jack head and had to turn jack head a little to the side . Actually makes it easier to see . Also since see other manufacturers turning jack head including Oliver , so we are good . Cutting cover is not a big deal . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
We cut ours in order for the cover to fit around the Jack-E-Up removable jack. Worked great.

Also, on a prior trailer, we installed a thin cutting board behind the propane cover (using pop rivets), where the cover was wearing into the fiberglass. Worked well.

Best regards in your search...
David
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The tank cover is a thermoplastic. While I don't have a problem with the cover on the 21, the 17 was tight so I used a small electric heater & hot air gun to soften the cover and flatten the back site for clearance.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The tank cover is a thermoplastic. While I don't have a problem with the cover on the 21, the 17 was tight so I used a small electric heater & hot air gun to soften the cover and flatten the back site for clearance.
Re-moulding a component for the moulded fiberglass trailer - I like that!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Jon I don't know what I was doing wrong , using a Harbor Feight heat gun but I couldn't get it to work . I was having to work up at the top edge corner though where cover is a lot sturdier . Pat
Old 04-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jon I don't know what I was doing wrong , using a Harbor Feight heat gun but I couldn't get it to work . I was having to work up at the top edge corner though where cover is a lot sturdier . Pat
My hot air gun wouldn't do it alone without blistering the surface. I put a small 1500 watt cube heater inside and used the hot air gun from the outside. It took 20 minutes (on a warm summer day) to get the plastic soft enough to reform.

The "new" propane tank cover on my 21 is much thinner - it might work with just the hot air gun...
Old 04-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
My hot air gun wouldn't do it alone without blistering the surface. I put a small 1500 watt cube heater inside and used the hot air gun from the outside. It took 20 minutes (on a warm summer day) to get the plastic soft enough to reform.

The "new" propane tank cover on my 21 is much thinner - it might work with just the hot air gun...
That's Jon I will give that a try ! Pat