Propane Detector Issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2021, 08:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Propane Detector Issue

I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience with their propane detector. My 5.0 had been sitting for a couple of days (not plugged in to shore power) in my backyard and i was washing it when I noticed a constant beeping noise coming from the propane detector. I shut off my battery disconnect and reconnected and after couple of minutes it started beeping again. I turned off the battery disconnect and the following day I hooked into my household power and turned the battery back and now everything is fine and detector appears to be functioning well. Comments appreciated, thanks.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:32 PM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
About a year after we picked up our 2019 Escape 21, our propane detector started to malfunction (randomly went off) whether the trailer was plugged in or not. It even went off when it was covered in our side yard, with the propane turned off for weeks/months. (Sorry neighbors!) These units can be very sensitive not only to propane but to others things like, low 12V battery levels, aerosol sprays and 'gassy' dogs or their 'gassy' owners and even dust so they say to vacuum it regularly - which we did but it still went off constantly (once or twice a week) and drove us nuts. A fan would eventually quiet it...for a couple days at most....

With some research, we discovered that our propane detector unit was discontinued (go figure) so my husband replaced it with a different brand....and not one false alarm since! (knock on wood) Couldn't find a replacement with the exact same dimensions but it was close enough. If you've ruled out all the traditional triggers, perhaps it needs to be replaced? -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience with their propane detector. My 5.0 had been sitting for a couple of days (not plugged in to shore power) in my backyard and i was washing it when I noticed a constant beeping noise coming from the propane detector. I shut off my battery disconnect and reconnected and after couple of minutes it started beeping again. I turned off the battery disconnect and the following day I hooked into my household power and turned the battery back and now everything is fine and detector appears to be functioning well. Comments appreciated, thanks.
I believe you have dual 6V lead acid batteries inside and solar. Is it possible that the batteries hit an equalization stage and you had some hydrogen off-gassing? With the trailer completely closed up we had random false alarms a few times after moving the lead acid batteries inside from the tongue. The vented box wasn't sealed well enough. Finally switched to lithium so the issue is gone but AGM is a more economical solution.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Bea and Rubicon, those are both really great suggestions. I do recall now that when I installed my batteries this spring, had no travel plans (due to COVID) and I had planned on a short temporary install, so I did not pay much attention to enclosing the battery box with that grey putty so maybe some off-gassing. I will try and vacuum it tomorrow as well, Thanks so much for the input.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
I have found that detectors, in my experience smoke and CO, will begin beeping when the humidity is high. I would not be surprised that LP detectors do the same thing.

Charles
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:13 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
With some research, we discovered that our propane detector unit was discontinued (go figure) so my husband replaced it with a different brand....and not one false alarm since! (knock on wood) Couldn't find a replacement with the exact same dimensions but it was close enough. If you've ruled out all the traditional triggers, perhaps it needs to be replaced? -Bea
What brand/model did you purchase?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 11-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Our propane detector failed at the 3 year mark. It was an Atwood
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #8

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I believe you have dual 6V lead acid batteries inside and solar. Is it possible that the batteries hit an equalization stage and you had some hydrogen off-gassing? With the trailer completely closed up we had random false alarms a few times after moving the lead acid batteries inside from the tongue. The vented box wasn't sealed well enough. Finally switched to lithium so the issue is gone but AGM is a more economical solution.
You've hit on the problem. Mine went off @ a week ago. Trailer had been closed up. Tried to reset it to no avail. I turned on the overhead fan, the recently installed Fabulous Operating Products SAM-1-81 Range Hood and opened a few windows. Squawking persisted. I opened up the battery compartment. The water level was low in all the cells. Replenished with distilled water - @ one pint per battery. Closed everything up. Propane detector went to green and the squawking went away.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #9
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
What brand/model did you purchase?

Thanks,

Perry
My husband installed, MTI INDUSTRIES 20-441-P-BL Detector Propane 12V Black. Was planning on adding a frame around it...but we hardly notice it anymore and almost forgot about it. She may not be a thing of beauty, but her silence sure is! -Bea
Attached Thumbnails
65808656956__EDD2D456-B5BA-4366-9F46-F4CCAD4C4752.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Ours would go off after 4-5 month after receiving the trailer earlier this year. I pulled it out of the wall drilled a hole next to the sensor and put a switch next to it. Problem solved. We turn it on when in use.
Off when it’s not.

I believe it’s the off gassing of the new trailer.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote