Propane explosion below cooktop - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #121

Trailer: 2019 escape 19' with 2012 Chevy 1500
I am just going to put some aluminum angle all the way around. Should look fine, not much space to fill.
j3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #122

Another way to do it would be to get a 1/8 sheet of aluminum and cut to overlap existing hole and then cut the hole for new cooktop out of that. you can get the aluminum sheet on the internet or local metal shop and it is easy to cut with any carbide blade on table saw, chop saw or jig saw.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #123

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not sure modifying the installation of an appliance is good practice.....
Old 05-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #124

When cutting the inside hole in aluminum sheet you can leave some 1 inch tabs to bend down to hold it in place. I talked myself into it , I am going to do it that way.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:39 PM   #125

If you are going to change stoves you are going to have to change the hole size that the appliance requires. You wouldn't be cutting or modifying the appliance. It's easy!!!

Old 05-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #126
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure modifying the installation of an appliance is good practice.....
I'm puzzled. What's wrong with modifying the cutout hole? It has zero to do with how the appliance operates.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #127

I just scored a dickinson cooktop at Sure Marine and they have 1 more in stock .
Old 05-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #128

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3cub View Post
I just scored a dickinson cooktop at Sure Marine and they have 1 more in stock .
How do you know they only have 1 left? Did you speak to them?
Old 05-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #129

Just ordered it 10 min ago and I asked them.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #130

They got 10 in 1 week ago and they are almost all gone and they have no idea when they will get more.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #131

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have the Dometic 3-burner oven installed in our 2018 21' and, while we haven't had any issues, after our last trip I found one of the burner assemblies just laying inside the stovetop, separated from the main line (it's not on the recall list). Since our RV technician is coming out next month, I'll have him fix the stove and determine what caused that uncoupling.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #132

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Yes, Folks...there is another one!!

Hello Everyone,

I have been a member of The Escape Forum for about 6 months and lament the reason for my initial entry.

With a blast, I was introduced into the world of propane explosions regarding the Suburban stove cooktop. I recently experienced the horror of an explosion (while reheating some delicious potato latkes) resulting in 1st and 2nd degree burns to my abdomen and arms. I truly believe that God's protection prevented this from being so much worse than it was. It's been 7 days of gradual healing, subsiding pain and restored energy. Rest assured, I will do all I can to prevent this tragedy from happening to another unsuspecting victim. The fact that this has happened to others is outrageous, with no apparent response from Escape Trailer Industries nor Suburban. I am pursuing contact with Escape at this time and will keep you posted. PLEASE have your propane connections on ANY propane stove top checked as a precaution.

I still consider this incident as all part of a glorious adventure!! Safe travels!

One crispy critter,
Granna (Grandma Anna)
zieranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:10 PM   #133

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieranna View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been a member of The Escape Forum for about 6 months and lament the reason for my initial entry.

With a blast, I was introduced into the world of propane explosions regarding the Suburban stove cooktop. I recently experienced the horror of an explosion (while reheating some delicious potato latkes) resulting in 1st and 2nd degree burns to my abdomen and arms. I truly believe that God's protection prevented this from being so much worse than it was. It's been 7 days of gradual healing, subsiding pain and restored energy. Rest assured, I will do all I can to prevent this tragedy from happening to another unsuspecting victim. The fact that this has happened to others is outrageous, with no apparent response from Escape Trailer Industries nor Suburban. I am pursuing contact with Escape at this time and will keep you posted. PLEASE have your propane connections on ANY propane stove top checked as a precaution.

I still consider this incident as all part of a glorious adventure!! Safe travels!

One crispy critter,
Granna (Grandma Anna)
Sorry to hear about your burns.

I just had a long talk with Melissa from Escape. They can't do anything until someone properly lets them know about the problem. They had informed knowledge of one problem and in the last two weeks were informed about mine and and I ass u me NWTravelers. Those at Escape are not mind readers.

Last Tuesday our Suburban was working just fine. On Wednesday the burner had limited output and I checked to smell gas. The rest is history.

Tomorrow there will be a meeting at Escape for this problem. Knowing how business runs, I'm guessing they will offer the Suburban as standard until the supply runs out, have a second "cheap" stove for a small upcharge, and offer the Dickinson for a $600 upcharge (we have ordered a Dickinson for $626 delivered to our door). After taking to Melissa, I feel Escape will handle this problem appropriately.

Terry and I were going to replace that ugly stock countertop, too small sink, and cheap faucet anyway. I'll cut in the Dickenson stove and new sink first and have our gas vendor see how the LP line will need to be moved to the Dickenson. Once he knows where the line needs to be, we'll take off the old countertop, so the new line/shutoff can be easily installed with nothing in the way. We've already had the countertop vendor look at our 5.0 and give us advice.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #134

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Needs to be more outrage! This is 10X worse than both the Dometic RML 8555 that Reace resolved with Dometic or the improper hot water line that Reace drove across the Continent to fix.

If I were expecting a delivery of a new trailer with this total crap appliance I would just wait. Escape needs to expedite a resolution!
Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #135
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Needs to be more outrage! This is 10X worse than both the Dometic RML 8555 that Reace resolved with Dometic or the improper hot water line that Reace drove across the Continent to fix.

If I were expecting a delivery of a new trailer with this total crap appliance I would just wait. Escape needs to expedite a resolution!
Outrage doesn't solve it. Escape is apparently going to make a decision about this stove model as early as tomorrow. Better to wait and see what they decide than getting outraged.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #136

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
The stove company needs to do a recall- but if it is a relatively simple fix, at least temporarily, maybe Escape will be able to handle it. I have not checked mine yet- that's on tomorrow's list- but I'm not using it right now, either.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:55 PM   #137

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Escape is apparently going to make a decision about this stove model as early as tomorrow.
I don’t know how anything short of Escape refusing to install these stoves for customers would be acceptable! If they continue to use them they are complicit in my opinion. They need to get on the phone with Suburban ASAP. People are experiencing explosions and getting burned!!
Old 05-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #138

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Serious jeopardy. Not good.
The question most needed answered is it a stove defect or an installation issue. Both need answered.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:51 PM   #139

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Outrage doesn't solve it. Escape is apparently going to make a decision about this stove model as early as tomorrow. Better to wait and see what they decide than getting outraged.
The New Escaoe is hardly transparent- and unlike Reace & Tammy they are above responding on this Forum other than to sell something.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #140
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The New Escaoe is hardly transparent- and unlike Reace & Tammy they are above responding on this Forum other than to sell something.
It's kind of pointless to compare the level of responsiveness and service between the founders and the new owners. Nobody is going to match Reace and Tammy. I'm merely suggesting we hold off with the torches and pitchforks until we hear what's been decided.