Propane Gauge/Leak Tester - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Doesn't detect leaks, but for $10, I use a luggage scale to weigh my BBQ tank.
That is a great way of assessing how much propane you have left in your tanks.

You could also use that scale for weighing that big fish you are hoping to catch someday.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
me too.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
On a 3 week trip this past summer with fairly heavy usage of a variety of propane devices (fridge, stove, BBQ, hot water heater, furnace, and fire bowl) we used three 20-lb cylinders of propane (1 per week).
now you know your usage!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #24

So, if most of the LP hoses are copper tube, the only hose(s) that needs to be replaced over time is the exterior hoses at the tank(s)?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Actually we did have to just replace the hoses at the tanks on our last service at Escape--
I had asked to get a gas test done to make sure everything was working correctly, and they found a leak.
It was allowing the gas to flow between the tanks as one would empty a bit gas from the other would transfer to it??
I had wondered on our last long trip why the one tank wasn't totally empty yet the other one needed a top up too...
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Isn't the propane gas / carbon monoxide detector that is standard in the Escape enough?
Depends on the purpose. If the system is leaking down and the detector inside the trailer is not alarming, then the pen-style detector would be good for tracking down the source around the tongue or under the trailer. It's not expensive, it's a cool toy...

Quote:
For a few dollars more, I have a fancy digital one

But seriously, I think the luggage scale idea is great: it's cheap, it's compact, and it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
... the only hose(s) that needs to be replaced over time is the exterior hoses at the tank(s)?
Yes, the hoses from the tanks to the regulator (the "pigtails"), and in most setups there is a hose from the regulator to the start of the rigid piping, too... but those hoses, all of which are readily visible in the tongue area, should be the ones to check for aging.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
Actually we did have to just replace the hoses at the tanks on our last service at Escape--
I had asked to get a gas test done to make sure everything was working correctly, and they found a leak.
It was allowing the gas to flow between the tanks as one would empty a bit gas from the other would transfer to it??
I had wondered on our last long trip why the one tank wasn't totally empty yet the other one needed a top up too...
I don't understand how that's due to a leak in the hose. Each tank is connected by a separate hose to the dual-inlet regulator; it sounds like the leak was the regulator allowing flow into the tank which should have been empty. Escape uses a dual-inlet regulator with an auto-changeover valve, which might not have been switching over completely. If there's no check valve, that might let propane flow from the standby tank back into the primary tank. Was the regulator replaced as well?

That shouldn't transfer much propane at all. What do you mean by not totally empty? An effectively empty propane tank will have no liquid sloshing around in it, but will still have propane gas (vapour) under pressure.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
For the price of the scale or the gauge mentioned in this thread, we bought a new tank at Costco with the gauge attached. This works on a float in the tank and is very accurate. When on the yellow, we are down 2 gallons. No need to remove to weigh, splash water, etc. We paid $25 for the tank at Costco and has served us well with no guessing. Well worth the price.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1124.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
... we bought a new tank at Costco with the gauge attached. This works on a float in the tank and is very accurate. ... We paid $25 for the tank at Costco
That looks equivalent to the Manchester SureFlame that I have, but the gauge is a different shape. Do you know the brand?

The SureFlame tank is $40 here at Canadian Tire - only $5 more than the same tank without gauge - but I don't think Costco carries them. Neither Costco.ca nor Costco.com list propane tanks (maybe they won't ship them) so it's hard to compare.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
You might not find them listed on Costco now they appear to be a seasonal item. I always see them in the spring. No brand printed on the tank itself but I remember a cardboard wrapper. This comes purged ready to fill. We bought ours for our A-frame and immediately moved it over to the Escape. Just remove the cover to check and again we find it very accurate once you know the gauge. When in yellow on ours we have used about half.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
You might not find them listed on Costco now they appear to be a seasonal item. I always see them in the spring.
Yes, definitely seasonal. Costco here only carries propane tanks and accessories in barbecue season (which is year-round for some people here, but not most). I would just look in the store if that aisle were not filled with Christmas candy...

It's really annoying when you want propane stuff to run a heater because it's cold, and the stores have put it all away!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's really annoying when you want propane stuff to run a heater because it's cold, and the stores have put it all away!
Most fuel stations that sell propane will always have some, but yeah, the big box stores only have them when the demand is high.

edit: Though come to think of it, I saw some outside at the BORG this week.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just drop by the Home Hardware in Osoyoos.
They have everything, all the time.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #34

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't understand how that's due to a leak in the hose. Each tank is connected by a separate hose to the dual-inlet regulator; it sounds like the leak was the regulator allowing flow into the tank which should have been empty. Escape uses a dual-inlet regulator with an auto-changeover valve, which might not have been switching over completely. If there's no check valve, that might let propane flow from the standby tank back into the primary tank. Was the regulator replaced as well?

That shouldn't transfer much propane at all. What do you mean by not totally empty? An effectively empty propane tank will have no liquid sloshing around in it, but will still have propane gas (vapour) under pressure.
The regulator is good. Found a pin hole in the hose from the regulator to the tank. The old hoses were stiff from age. They both got replaced. Leaked tested after the install all was good. Every time I buy a used trailer the rubber propane lines get replaced for safety.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Well, this afternoon, I was in the trailer lining some shelves when I smelled the undeniable odor of propane. A check of the tanks on our brand new trailer resulted in the tell-tale "hiss" of leaking gas. John removed the tank and sprayed it with soapy water ... no bubbles. However, within a few minutes, you could see the vapor escaping (no pun) by looking sideways at the tank where the gauge fits into the actual tank. We quickly moved the tank to the back field to let the gas dissipate. Guess who's getting a new tank AND an outside leak detector?
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #36

What gauge do you have on your tank?
My buddy picked up a couple of these at Costco.
We decided, independently, after using our BBQs for a month or so, that the gauge was reducing the propane pressure to the BBQ, and we removed them. Immediate improvement.
They are cheap, and probably cheaply made.
Attached Thumbnails
propane gas gauge.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Well, this afternoon, I was in the trailer lining some shelves when I smelled the undeniable odor of propane. A check of the tanks on our brand new trailer resulted in the tell-tale "hiss" of leaking gas. John removed the tank and sprayed it with soapy water ... no bubbles. However, within a few minutes, you could see the vapor escaping (no pun) by looking sideways at the tank where the gauge fits into the actual tank. We quickly moved the tank to the back field to let the gas dissipate. Guess who's getting a new tank AND an outside leak detector?
We had a BBQ tank that after filling last year was leaking propane in the back yard. When sitting beside the BBQ beside the back of the house, could smell propane in the house. It had just been filled and I figured they had over filled it. Left it sitting in the middle of the yard over night and all seemed ok next day.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Scary! Here in the US it's illegal to fill propane tanks without an overfill protection device installed in the tank. Folks are now complaining about not get a 20# fill in a 20# tank. There's a reason!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #39

OPD Valve Design

The design of the OPD valve is such that turning the cylinder service valve handwheel will not produce any effect if the cylinder is not hooked up to an appliance. In other words, a connection must be made between the appliance hose end and the cylinders service valve. The inside of the OPD valve is engineered to only allow propane in or out if the internal valve is actuated by being depressed. This OPD valve feature adds additional safety in case the handwheel is turned, opening the valve. For this reason, OPD equipped cylinders will not allow gas out of the cylinder when opened. The same is true for industrial forklift cylinders. Click the photo of the OPD valve (left) to see a larger and more detailed picture of the of the internal flow valve.
See additional OPD Valve Information

So, the problem is not with the tank, but with whatever is connected to the valve. If that is a cheapo gauge, like the one I photographed ( earlier post ), that could well be the problem.
In any event, I don't think you need a new tank since you can't buy a new tank that doesn't have the OPD valve.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Folks are now complaining about not get a 20# fill in a 20# tank. There's a reason!
The reason would be that the company offering 18# for 20# makes more money.
The 20# tank would not be overfilled until it had more than 20# in it.