Propane Leak - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I would not use a combination propane/CO detector. ETI now installs stand-alone alarms. Propane is much heavier than air so it sinks and the alarm is best installed at or near floor level. CO is slightly lighter than air and could rise so a CO alarm should not be at floor level but higher up, from mid level and up toward the ceiling.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #42

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would not use a combination propane/CO detector. ETI now installs stand-alone alarms. Propane is much heavier than air so it sinks and the alarm is best installed at or near floor level. CO is slightly lighter than air and could rise so a CO alarm should not be at floor level but higher up, from mid level and up toward the ceiling.
Point taken. In addition to the dual CO/LP alarm down low I installed a combination CO/smoke detector up high in place of the standard smoke detector supplied by ETI. So I have CO covered high and low. Can you expand on what ETI is using now? Make/model of the detectors? Are they handling LP, CO, and smoke with three independent detectors?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Point taken. In addition to the dual CO/LP alarm down low I installed a combination CO/smoke detector up high in place of the standard smoke detector supplied by ETI. So I have CO covered high and low. Can you expand on what ETI is using now? Make/model of the detectors? Are they handling LP, CO, and smoke with three independent detectors?
I'm not at home so my trailer is not immediately accessible but in my 5.0TA the propane alarm is a Saf-T-Alert (MTI) installed in the wall of one of the dinette benches. The CO and smoke is a combined unit installed near the ceiling next to the wardrobe which is located on one side of the steps leading up to the loft. At the moment, I do not remember the brand of the CO/smoke detector.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Good Link to Home Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Our stock Atwood DV20 cooktop had a propane odor. When I took the cover off it seemed to be coming from the integral regulator that looked to have a small vent. We replaced the whole thing with the Dickinson marine cooktop shortly after and this has no regulator and no smell. I'm not certain it was actually the regulator venting but it was definitely coming from that area. It is worth a sniff.

It was outside but we also found leaks were the pigtails attach to the regulator.

This stuff works great:
www.homedepot.com/p/8-oz-All-Purpose-Leak-Detector-302092/100151681
Thanks for the link, it takes me directly to my local Home Depot, Aisle 10, Bay 006.

Just brought home a 2014 21'. The detector alerts after about 12 to 30 hours and I'm starting out with the cooktop burners and had planned to use soapy water.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
OOPS! My local Home Depot doesn't open until 8 on Sunday.

I knew something was amiss when I saw the empty parking lot.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Thanks for the link, it takes me directly to my local Home Depot, Aisle 10, Bay 006.

Just brought home a 2014 21'. The detector alerts after about 12 to 30 hours and I'm starting out with the cooktop burners and had planned to use soapy water.
For gas leaks, I have always used this:
https://www.amazon.com/Snoop-Leak-8O.../dp/B002N2T3QK

Snoop will indicate leaks that won't show up with soapy water and it's non- corrosive.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #47

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA, 2018 F150 2.7 EB
This thread suggests we should all carry propane detector liquid. Here is a handy spray bottle from CampingWorld:

https://www.campingworld.com/gas-lea...arms-detectors
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
or use some soapy water and look for bubbles....
Old 08-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post

Georgia Bill,
With the propane bottles turned off, our 2014 21' will sound the propane alarm if the trailer is plugged in and charging our two lead-acid batteries. There are several of us who are convinced the battery fumes will set off the alarm. Escape moved the propane detector "across the hall" the next year to minimize this problem. A switch to the power to the detector is another solution.
Up the road, Bill.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #50

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Georgia Bill,
With the propane bottles turned off, our 2014 21' will sound the propane alarm if the trailer is plugged in and charging our two lead-acid batteries. There are several of us who are convinced the battery fumes will set off the alarm. Escape moved the propane detector "across the hall" the next year to minimize this problem. A switch to the power to the detector is another solution.
Up the road, Bill.
I experienced this once while the trailer was in storage. I am convinced it was battery charging that triggered the alarm. I double checked the battery box sealant and added a switch to the alarm.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #51

Speaking of an RV propane detector... Our 2015 17A has one which has taken to beeping every couple of days, so my son goes out and hits the reset button. According to the info on the front of it, it is at the 'end of life' and needs replacing. Is this something we can do ourselves (no experience with doing this type of repair) or do we need to take it to ETI or another RV shop?

Thanks for any info or suggestions!

2004 Escape 17A "Doodle Bug"; 2010 Highlander
dpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #52

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you can cut and connect them to the new detector then it's something you can do yourself. I used crimp on connectors when I did mine.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsmith View Post
Speaking of an RV propane detector... Our 2015 17A has one which has taken to beeping every couple of days, so my son goes out and hits the reset button. According to the info on the front of it, it is at the 'end of life' and needs replacing. Is this something we can do ourselves (no experience with doing this type of repair) or do we need to take it to ETI or another RV shop?

Thanks for any info or suggestions!
It requires removal of 2 screws and cutting the two wires (+ and -) going to the detector (near the detector to gain some slack in the wire). Buy some butt crimp splices and a crimping tool, strip the ends of the wires on the replacement detector, and crimp them to the existing wires. Then use the two screws to install the replacement detector. Do not over tighten, just snug it up. You may want to pull the fuse and/or turn of the battery switch to avoid an accidental short circuit when cutting and splicing. It wouldn’t be hazardous but you would have to replace the fuse. Simple job. You can buy splices and a crimping tool at any auto parts store. If you don’t know how to use it, ask the clerk to show you.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When I replaced my propane detector I used insulated crimp slide on wire connectors instead of crimp sleeves . That way when the time comes to replace the detector again you can just pull the connections apart and plug in the new detector. Crimp sleeves require cutting the wires making them shorter .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When I replaced my propane detector, I dropped a wire, which landed on a table pole that was stored under that bench, sparking and blowing a fuse.
I recommend pulling the fuse before working on the wiring.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:47 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Is the propane bottle nearly empty? It is common for the odor to be stronger at the end of the tank even if there is no problem with the system. Something to do with the odor chemical added to the gas. Just a thought.
I'm surprised more don't comment on this quote? I often smell propane around my tanks, but doesn't appear to be any leaks? I'll research this phenomenon on web, and maybe report back.

I always have only one tank turned on at a time and use til it's empty, then I switch to the other tank, and start looking to refill the empty. when messing with the tanks, for example: I close my tanks at the gas station, shut off when putting trailer in storage, switching tanks from empty to full, etc, I often smell propane.

I plan to order some fancy gas leak liquid. I recently noticed my propane hoses from tanks to regulator are cracked, but I think it's just the protective cover and not the actual hose.

previously, I had 2004 Casita Spirit Delux 17 for 11 1/2 years from Dec 2006 to Jul 2018, and never had any issues with the propane tanks smelling. the hoses were OEM, 14 years old, no problems.

with that trailer I always left both tanks open, so that may be the difference? cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:31 PM   #57
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I'm surprised more don't comment on this quote? I often smell propane around my tanks, but doesn't appear to be any leaks? I'll research this phenomenon on web, and maybe report back.

I always have only one tank turned on at a time and use til it's empty, then I switch to the other tank, and start looking to refill the empty. when messing with the tanks, for example: I close my tanks at the gas station, shut off when putting trailer in storage, switching tanks from empty to full, etc, I often smell propane.

I plan to order some fancy gas leak liquid. I recently noticed my propane hoses from tanks to regulator are cracked, but I think it's just the protective cover and not the actual hose.

previously, I had 2004 Casita Spirit Delux 17 for 11 1/2 years from Dec 2006 to Jul 2018, and never had any issues with the propane tanks smelling. the hoses were OEM, 14 years old, no problems.

with that trailer I always left both tanks open, so that may be the difference? cheers

I often smell mercaptan when I'm near my tanks particularly when it's warm. My wife smells it more often than I do. On several occasions I've use dish soap and water, a mixture that works well for gas leaks and I can't find any. I've come to the conclusion that the mercaptan gets on the tanks when they are refilled and sticks. Same with my BBQ tanks. So, I think it's just residual mercaptan but I'm no expert so maybe someone who knows more than I, will chime in. However, it never hurts to periodically check the hoses and fittings for leaks. Better safe than sorry.

According to Google, "as propane is burned off it can leave higher concentrations of ethyl mercaptan that is released along with the propane." Still doesn't explain why I smell it outside when I'm near the tanks.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:18 PM   #58

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
My experience is that if they are cracked they are probably leaking...even if just very little. We’ve had good luck with the Mr. Heater brand replacements that are very high quality.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pro.../dp/B000LNJQ0Q