Propane Leak Detector Replacment - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

Propane Leak Detector Replacment

I looked around and found 1 issue of the 2 I found was sort of addressed in a few posts about replacing the detector . I thought perhaps fair warning on what I found .

I have a 2012 19 so it might be different on previous or following years , my detector started going off and since it was over 60 months since the 19 was built I did not fool around and ordered a new one.

First issue will never order anything from camping world again unless I can not find it anywhere else. Amazon had it for a few dollars more and on prime but camping world had it cheaper and I needed some other things I could not find on Amazon. I placed my order on Saturday it did not arrive for 8 Days. So lesson learned.

Second Issue remove old detector first screw I hear something wood hit the floor in the enclosure remove the second screw same thing. Pull detector out reach in and find the screw backer blocks on the bottom of the enclosure. Should have been glued or secured to the back side they are not high strength adhesive hot glue and done.

Third issue the butt splices would not come far enough out to be cut with out reaching in blindly and removing the square head screw holding one nylon clamp . Got a little more wire but still not enough had to take the second in line clamp out. Mind you this is reaching through the hole for the propane detector and finding the screw head by finger tip, guiding bit in using a stubby apex bit driver on it as the screw heads face toward the outside wall. I am positive the detector was installed before the heater as that would give you enough access to drive the screws in the way they were.

After that plenty of wire to cut off butt splices install new splices and secure unit to wall again. took 5 min .

So bare in mind the blocks , and the clamps when you go to do this replacement.

As for camping world yeah well I will find it else where before ordering from them again they had a very umm lackadaisical attitude when I called them on Wed 4 days after ordering and the order shows it had not been pulled yet. ... The response was well we have 3-5 business days...

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

Sorry I had to edit this way edit does not work from this board on my system no other ones have a problem , not going to mess around just to make this forum work when 5 others work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
I looked around and found 1 issue of the 2 I found was sort of addressed in a few posts about replacing the detector . And a third issue relating to Camping World I thought perhaps fair warning on what I found .

I have a 2012 19 so it might be different on previous or following years , my detector started going off and since it was over 60 months since the 19 was built I did not fool around and ordered a new one.

First issue will never order anything from camping world again unless I can not find it anywhere else. Amazon had it for a few dollars more and on prime but camping world had it cheaper and I needed some other things I could not find on Amazon. I placed my order on Saturday it did not arrive for 8 Days. So lesson learned.

Second Issue remove old detector first screw I hear something wood hit the floor in the enclosure remove the second screw same thing. Pull detector out reach in and find the screw backer blocks on the bottom of the enclosure. Should have been glued or secured to the back side they are not high strength adhesive hot glue and done.

Third issue the butt splices would not come far enough out to be cut with out reaching in blindly and removing the square head screw holding one nylon clamp . Got a little more wire but still not enough had to take the second in line clamp out. Mind you this is reaching through the hole for the propane detector and finding the screw head by finger tip, guiding bit in using a stubby apex bit driver on it as the screw heads face toward the outside wall. I am positive the detector was installed before the heater as that would give you enough access to drive the screws in the way they were.

After that plenty of wire to cut off butt splices install new splices and secure unit to wall again. took 5 min .

So bare in mind the blocks , and the clamps when you go to do this replacement.

As for camping world yeah well I will find it else where before ordering from them again they had a very umm lackadaisical attitude when I called them on Wed 4 days after ordering and the order shows it had not been pulled yet. ... The response was well we have 3-5 business days...

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #3

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
First issue will never order anything from camping world again unless I can not find it anywhere else.

Cypher
agree..ordered only one time... never go back..they never shipped item and after waiting weeks they refunded less than purchase price paid with no explanation!..they ain't worth the hassle when there are honest online vendors one can do business with.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I tried Camping World online once, and after waiting 10 days for my merchandise, once was enough. I've found many other RV sites that provide excellent service, like Tweetys, PPL Motorhomes, Hanna, RV Upgrade Store, etc - usually the same price or cheaper than CW, and much quicker delivery. And, there's always Amazon Prime.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We're lucky (in my opinion) to have two Camping World stores that we drive right past occasionally (Calera, AL, when northbound and Robertsdale, AL, when southbound). Good shopping experience when you can grab what you want right off the shelf. If Camping World is able to buy Gander Mountain through bankruptcy court (Chapter 11 efforts still in progress?), it will be interesting to see how much of the Camping World inventory will be available through what will be the new Gander Outdoors stores. We live within 15 miles of a Gander Mountain/Gander Outdoors(?) location.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
How times have changed. In the "old days", when you ordered something by mail order, it was the expectation and the norm that your items would arrive anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months after the order was received. Seems theses days that one to two weeks delivery is too long and the expectation is more in the order of one to four days.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Seems theses days that one to two weeks delivery is too long and the expectation is more in the order of one to four days.
And even less than that in many cases. Companies who can keep up with the demand for quicker fulfilment will own e-commerce in the future.

One reason why Amazon dominates is that 2 day shipping is the norm. With Prime Now shipping in certain areas, they reduce it to an hour or so.

Lots of the time it's actually quicker for me to buy a prime now item online than it is for me to drive to the local store and pick it up.

I think there will always be a market for the small local retailers whose focus isn't on price or speed, but quality and one to one service. But for other retailers and larger stores, they are in serious trouble if they don't recognize and adapt to the new realities.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I have replaced several pieces of wooden blocking in trailers we've owned . I clean the backside of the fiberglass with acetone , attatch plywood blocks using Gorilla glue and clamp the blocks in place until the glue sets. Screws will often cause pine boards to split where plywood doesn't..
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. Just a heads up. It's becoming apparent that RV parts are starting to get backlogged and back ordered. I noticed on Amazon (Prime member) if I ordered the correct replacement propane detector, it won't ship for a month!

I have one waiting for me in Will Call at Camping World. Got the fella's name too, so if I show up and it's not there... 'el to pay!

This is a major safety issue. IF yours is due for replacement, and you certainly shouldn't use propane without it, you might be proactive and find out how soon you can get one. You might be surprised, I was.

Be well, be safe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
..... It's becoming apparent that RV parts are starting to get backlogged and back ordered. I noticed on Amazon (Prime member) if I ordered the correct replacement propane detector, it won't ship for a month!
.....Be well, be safe

I noticed the same thing recently. T'is good advice.

(We are hopefully expecting it improves here; Amazon just pulled building permits to convert several 10's of thousands of sq.ft. of empty warehousing to their purposes, about 3 miles from us!)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Try ordering parts. I ordered (and paid for) a pair of end pieces for my electric awning at Camping World. Took 2 months for one of the pair to arrive, the second is still being made in China. The parts person suggested taking the one I received to someone with a 3D printer...
Old 07-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's getting this way with all sorts of goods. The guy at Tractor Supply down the road told me all the stock watering tanks are sold out and backordered. Seems people snapped them up to use as kiddy pools cause those are long since sold out everywhere.