propane pressure regulator - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So I should have nothing to worry about, at least for awhile, if it works fine initially.....
Old 09-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
On our New 2018 Escape on the way home, 30 days, I noticed the fridge temp was not as cold as I expected. After we got home I checked the gas pressure and found it at 10.5. with 2 stove burners on it dropped to 9.7, add the water heater 9.0.
Adjusting the regulator to 11.7 with the fridge and 2 stove burners has helped, however I think the regulator does not have the capacity for multiple appliance use at one time and will be getting the "H" upgrade in the future.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... We were lucky when we picked up "Escape Hatch II" in 2014. Reace came around at the rally in Osoyoos with his manometer and hooked it up to one burner of the stove top while Rick adjusted the regulator. They had at the time realized that setting them for Chilliwack's altitude wasn't the best overall. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #44

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... We were lucky when we picked up "Escape Hatch II" in 2014. Reace came around at the rally in Osoyoos with his manometer and hooked it up to one burner of the stove top while Rick adjusted the regulator. They had at the time realized that setting them for Chilliwack's altitude wasn't the best overall. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
A whopping 33'.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
A whopping 33'.

OK, so does this mean that propane pressure will go down at higher altitudes? I thought that to at least a great degree, these regulators used atmospheric pressure on the diaphragm to achieve a more or less constant difference between atmospheric pressure and output pressure, adjusted by the influence of the adjustment spring. If that is the case, why would output pressure depend on elevation?

You guys are confusing this old fart.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's the culprit in lots of issues Ron. I know it was the cause for inadequate cooling in our fridge. Just pick up a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 and problem solved.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/MEGR-253...kaAlixEALw_wcB

If you want to go higher btu capacity, you can get the green "H" model like mine, but comments earlier in this thread suggest that may be overkill.
Hi Robert and others,
My trailer is stored 1000 miles away so I need to check with our very astute audience. In your link the MEGR-253 has 1/4" flare fittings is this the correct size?

Hopefully, in a months time I will be able to get away for a short trip. When I was last using my trailer, I noticed a slight drop in cooling temperature in refer - while it wasn't particularly warm out. Seems the regulators are somewhat finicky and a relatively cheap and easy 'fix'.

Just checkin' before I order, - Thanks!
Tom
Old 09-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hi Robert and others,
My trailer is stored 1000 miles away so I need to check with our very astute audience. In your link the MEGR-253 has 1/4" flare fittings is this the correct size?

Hopefully, in a months time I will be able to get away for a short trip. When I was last using my trailer, I noticed a slight drop in cooling temperature in refer - while it wasn't particularly warm out. Seems the regulators are somewhat finicky and a relatively cheap and easy 'fix'.

Just checkin' before I order, - Thanks!
Tom
Yes Tom, they are all pretty much the same. 1/4" female inverted flare for connecting the pigtails, and a 3/8" female threaded fitting for connecting to the trailer gas line. It's a direct swap for the one that came with the trailer. By the way I found another MEGR-253 on the same site for a little less. Don't know what the difference is between it and the one previously posted.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/MEGR-253..._p_288316.html
Old 09-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes Tom, they are all pretty much the same. 1/4" female inverted flare for connecting the pigtails, and a 3/8" female threaded fitting for connecting to the trailer gas line.
Those are the most common connections, but sometimes regulators come without the usual brass adapters screwed into them, so they just have female pipe thread ports - 1/4" inlet and 3/8" outlet. If a replacement regulator doesn't have the 1/4" inverted flare inlet fitting or 3/8" SAE outlet, don't look for a hose with the pipe thread ends, just install the fittings.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:11 AM   #49

Hello and OK I will order. Thank you both for the help!

Should I have trouble fitting in this new regulator, I'll head straight for 'Carlies Hardware' in Port Townsend, Washington as their moniker is "Adapter Capitol of the World". Any hardware store with that kind of confidence, is my kind of hardware store. They are getting very rare and should be considered a national treasure.

Where is your favorite hardware store? Ohh that would be a great new thread … think I'll start it.

Tom
Old 09-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
Adjusting the regulator to 11.7 with the fridge and 2 stove burners has helped, however I think the regulator does not have the capacity for multiple appliance use at one time and will be getting the "H" upgrade in the future.
That adjustment sounds about right. I would suggest that the standard regulator capacity is more than adequate. The MEGR-253 has a capacity of 225,000 BTUH and the MEGR-253H has a capacity of 350,000. By my estimation the average Escape trailer with all appliances running is about 35,000-40,000 BTUH.
Attached Thumbnails
MEGR specs.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Should I have trouble fitting in this new regulator, I'll head straight for 'Carlies Hardware' in Port Townsend, Washington as their moniker is "Adapter Capitol of the World". Any hardware store with that kind of confidence, is my kind of hardware store. They are getting very rare and should be considered a national treasure.

Tom
Wish we still had a hardware store like that. We did but it burned down years ago now so our only choice is pre-packaged stuff sold by clerks who haven't a clue what it's used for.

I'll check out Carlies next time I'm in P. T.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #52

Trailer: 17 rpod
When l.p. hoses dry out it looses it's plasticizer which forms a honey inside the hose ,causing it to obstruct appliance orifices.
It's good practice to drain the main distribution line .
Garygailrow@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #53

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:

Tom

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Tom, but like many other good, locally owned, mom and pop businesses these days, Carlies is no more. We moved to Port Townsend a year ago and when I read your post had to ask our neighbors about Carlies, as I hadn’t heard of it. They tell the same exact story as you - a place with every thing you could want plus super knowledgeable and helpful staff. Apparently it’s been gone for some years now. So much for ‘progress’.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Tom, but like many other good, locally owned, mom and pop businesses these days, Carlies is no more. We moved to Port Townsend a year ago and when I read your post had to ask our neighbors about Carlies, as I hadn’t heard of it. They tell the same exact story as you - a place with every thing you could want plus super knowledgeable and helpful staff. Apparently it’s been gone for some years now. So much for ‘progress’.
Hi Scot,
Oh so sorry … not only a great hardware store but every visit would also include a number of hilarious jokes. The number only restricted to how long you could hold your breath from laughing so hard. That was a fun place.

Thinking back now on how long ago it must have been since I was in Carlies. Afraid it could have been close to thirty years …. oh my! Time does fly! Yikes!

RIP Carlies,

Tom
Old 09-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #55

Interesting, very interesting as the character on Hogan's Heros used to say.

For a couple of reasons I ended up buying the Camco 59005. As others have found the factory preset is nominal. The box label states " 11" nominal outlet pressure". The no load reading was 13.5.

Very easy to adjust, no tools required. So I turned it down a tweak and got the following settings:

13.06 No load

12.06 fridge only

11.54 fridge and furnace

11.16 fridge, furnace and two stove burners

I could drop it a tiny bit but I'll try it at these settings first. Looks like my travelling toolbox now will include the manometer.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0010_resize.JPG   IMGP0002 (2)_resize.JPG  
Old 09-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thanks for the data Ron. I guess in a way this confirms my thinking in going with the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253"H" model instead of the standard. With nothing on I get 11.70, and at 50% load I get 11.12 if I remember correctly. I did have to turn it down a bit vs the factory setting, but there appears to be less fluctuation between no load and full load.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #57

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thankyou Dave for getting all these figures for me . Still can't get to yet but will Pat
Pat: Have you taken this on yet? Figured we may have gotten some questions from you. Interested in hearing your results.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #58

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: Have you taken this on yet? Figured we may have gotten some questions from you. Interested in hearing your results.
Dave did get and it is sitting here . Just got back from 1 and 1/2 week trip and trying to catch up with everything . Tomorrow will take a few pics with my questions . Hopefully in the morning . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Testing gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Hi Dave picture of the tool I bought . Why 2 different hoses 2 I think silicone and 2 harder plastic .
Picture of back of refrigerator. Need all steps to do testing .
Do I make sure gas is off first ?
Screw in the adapter they gave me with tool ?
Hook which line to tool ?
Turn on gas at tanks ?
Turn on all gas appliances ?
Get reading ?
Then get reading from each appliance with others off ?
Turn what to increase if need be ?
After shut down appliances and gas .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0454.jpg   IMG_0453.jpg   IMG_0452.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Dave picture of the tool I bought . Why 2 different hoses 2 I think silicone and 2 harder plastic .
Picture of back of refrigerator. Need all steps to do testing .
Do I make sure gas is off first ?
Screw in the adapter they gave me with tool ?
Hook which line to tool ?
Turn on gas at tanks ?
Turn on all gas appliances ?
Get reading ?
Then get reading from each appliance with others off ?
Turn what to increase if need be ?
After shut down appliances and gas .
Gas off to start is a good idea.
Mine was right side but put hose on and give it a puff of air. If you get a positive value then it's the one. And yes for the rest.

Ron