propane pressure regulator - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Precise Device Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We adjusted my original regulator at Niagara last week, all as described in Posting #61.
It was Iowa Dave’s inherited manometer, with Carl W. assisting. I managed to loosen the plug at the fridge with RedDog’s socket—and I won’t be leaving my set at home again.

The first reading with no competing propane appliances, was barely 11, and with two burners lit, the regulator needed to be turned up (in,clockwise) to be a high 11 with the burners on. Otherwise it had slipped below 11.
Haven’t had any challenging temps since then and have mostly been on 120 volt, but fridge is great. It wasn’t really too bad before.
The newly purchased, and not used, H regulator is now part of my traveling stock, if anyone has a malfunction.
Bill
The manometer we got with our 21 is a yellow jacket. I will have it with me at the Mississippi River Rally. Attendees will be welcome to use it to check their water column pressure. You will need a good socket set in 1/4 or 3/8 inch. The fitting with the manometer is SAE and the test plug in the Dometic unit in Bill and Earline’s trailer was metric, about 11 or 12mm. I will not be loosening any fittings on trailers other than my own as my old barroom arm wrestling muscle memory could kick in at any time and that coupled with my lack of patience would not be good on a small propane line. I’ll be in site 114 with the manometer in my bug out bag along with sustenance should the economy go completely south. ( Read that a can of Spam, some candy and a couple airplanes). Why spend $50 bucks on something you can borrow. You CAN get by with a little help from your friends.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #82

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
What is the effect if you have 15” with nothing running at the refrigerator port. It didn’t drop much with the water heater and 2 stove burners on

Should it be adjusted down or just left as is?
Thanks
bnjones173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #83

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'm certainly no expert but if it were me I'd drop it down to 12". My system works great at 12", which is what the new regulator was set to when I installed it. 15 sounds substantially higher then it needs to be.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #84

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'm certainly no expert but if it were me I'd drop it down to 12". My system works great at 12", which is what the new regulator was set to when I installed it. 15 sounds substantially higher then it needs to be.
Agreed. Set to 12” w.c. and then fridge will stay above 11” when under reasonable load. 15” is too high.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #85

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
A quick question regarding adjusting the pressure regulator. Can the plastic cap be removed and adjustments made with the gas on, or does the gas need to be turned off before removing the plastic cap?
Old 05-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
A quick question regarding adjusting the pressure regulator. Can the plastic cap be removed and adjustments made with the gas on, or does the gas need to be turned off before removing the plastic cap?
Gas on.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:10 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Gas on.
That's what I figured - that plastic cap does not look like a gas seal. But never hurts to ask when you're not sure.....

I have a manometer on order and will be able to check my regulator pressure soon and find out if that has been my issue or if I need to continue to increase my furnace education. I am at least encouraged by finding in the Atwood tech manual that with the outside access door pretty much all of the serviceable / replaceable parts can be accessed without having to remove the furnace.

Sure hoping I find something funky with my propane pressure.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #88

Plastic cap

The plastic cap just covers the adjustment screw which on mine can be turned with a conventional flat blade screwdriver. Here’s how I do it. Shut the gas off. Remove the black plastic cap and insert a screwdriver in the hole and feel it drop into the adjusting screw slot. That way you’ll know how it feels and what “clock” position to look for. Then Access a point where the gas pressure can be accessed by removing a plug on a gas line, on ours it is on the Dometic refrigerator. Other setups might have different accesses. Put the manometer plug in and slide the hose on the fitting you just screwed in. Turn on the gas. The manometer will show the regulator pressure. Fire up your furnace and when running, Turn on and light all three burners on the stove. This will be at least 2/3 of a maximum draw on the system. If you can’t hold 11 inches pressure open the adjusting screw and watch the pressure go up. When it gets to about 11 with the stove and furnace running shut the appliances off. That should result in the manometer reading to increase to about 11.5 to 11.8. I’m running mine at 11.7 or 11.8 right in there. Shut gas off and try your appliances and see if it helps. I had a guy tell me that his regulator was too low to run both his hot water heater and his furnace at the same time. He would take a shower which made his water heater fire, Then he’d turn on the furnace to warm the trailer as he went to bed. Didn’t have enough gas to run them both but ok once he adjusted the manometer. Some people run varying pressures regarding elevation but I’ve not adjusted mine that way. I don’t spend much time at higher elevations. Others may have comments on how they do it especially for your model trailer and your appliances.
As long as you are methodical and logical and make sure to think the gas on/ gas off thing through, I believe you’ll be ok.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If you have the propane QD option, you can get a male QD and fabricate a fitting that is easily connected and disconnected from the trailer. It is much easier than removing a plug to get access.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #90

Good point Carl. I knew there must be an easier way. Maybe I need one for my lend out manometer kit.
Thanks
Iowa Dave
Old 05-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #91

I will be very interested to see what my gas pressure is when I get my manometer. However, I don't have a lot of hope that low pressure will turn out to be the problem with my furnace - most of the time when it has failed during the night nothing else, other than sometimes the fridge, has been running. But even if it's OK right now at least I'll be set to monitor it in the future....everything breaks or wears out eventually.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:40 PM   #92

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Since the fridge test port is upstream from the fridge valve, wouldn't the pressure at the fridge test port be the same as at pressure regulator test port? Is it safe to assume that the pressure measured at the regulator test port (or the fridge test port for that matter) should be the pressure for the entire system prior to entering any appliance?

My fridge (RM8551) is functioning poorly on gas. Pressure was only 5 column inches at the regulator and wouldn't adjust. New Marshall MEGR-253 on the way.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 09:22 PM   #93

Your logic is sound, same pressure throughout, a
Your solution will most likely work. I’ve adjusted several and even at 700 feet above sea level I like 11.8 inches.
YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-29-2023, 11:13 PM   #94

11.8 without any other appliance operating?
Old 07-30-2023, 07:04 AM   #95

If you set at 11,8 with nothing running, you’ll have adequate pressure for the refrigerator even when you’re cooking on the stove, with the furnace kicking in and out on a cool October evening or if nothing else is running any other time. When we’ve adjusted some regulators we light the stove, turn the stove burners wide open and then adjust to 11.8. WC iIt seems to give you a strong flame on the refrigerator all the time and it doesn’t blow out as easily and is good at higher elevations. That’s been my experience.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-30-2023, 07:35 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
11.8 without any other appliance operating?
Yes. I have found that 12” w.c. is perfect to keep the pressure above 11” when you have other appliances running. The correct procedure is actually to test with a demand of 50% of the connected BTU’s but as long as you have the furnace and a couple stove burners running you’ll be close enough. Although if you have something with high demand like a fire pit that you run off a propane quick connect you should account for that too.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:05 AM   #97

Oddly, when I kept turning up the pressure on my current 7 year old Marshall regulator it eventually made it to almost 10 water column inches, and would go no further. It took many complete turns. So at 10 inches I tried the stove and now have zero gas pressure. Pressure was checked at the regulator port.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #98
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Oddly, when I kept turning up the pressure on my current 7 year old Marshall regulator it eventually made it to almost 10 water column inches, and would go no further. It took many complete turns. So at 10 inches I tried the stove and now have zero gas pressure. Pressure was checked at the regulator port.
I read some place that RV propane regulators only last about 6 years. They have a diaphragm inside that can become stiff with age or crack. The diaphragm adjusts the output pressure based on atmospheric pressure. I've found on my 2022 E17 that the easiest place to check propane WC is at the frig because there is an easily accessible gas port there. Testing at the appliance is IMO a better since it's downstream from the regulator so you're measuring the actual pressure the appliances are getting.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 12:39 PM   #99

Some Dometic refrgerators have a test port and some do not. Our 2010 19 2510 model had one. Our 2013 21 has an 8555 and it does not. If it were me I’d get a new regulator and two full
Propane bottles. Hook up new hoses, slowly open both bottles, check for leaks, set the pressure as described. Turn off the indicated bottle and see if it changes over like it should if you run that way and figure I was good to go.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-30-2023, 02:36 PM   #100
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Some Dometic refrgerators have a test port and some do not. Our 2010 19 2510 model had one. Our 2013 21 has an 8555 and it does not. If it were me I’d get a new regulator and two full
Propane bottles. Hook up new hoses, slowly open both bottles, check for leaks, set the pressure as described. Turn off the indicated bottle and see if it changes over like it should if you run that way and figure I was good to go.
Iowa Dave
I'm sure that's true and my water heater doesn't have a test port either, at least not one I can find. When I was having frig problems I got this adapter from My RV Works which allows me to tap into the flared gas line hose fittings. Really easy to use and it has a quick connect at the end of the flexible tube to connect my digital manometer and the yellow handled valve allows you to bleed off propane to simulate the effect of another gas appliance running at the same time (don't do that around an open flame).

It's a little on the expensive side but the hourly charge at the local RV repair shops is $200/hr so instead I got a nice tool I can use in the future. More importantly, when I had frig problems, the repair shop never thought to check the gas pressure. My frig wouldn't stay operate consistently on gas because the regulator was putting out 14" WC. At 12" WC it's bullet proof.
Attached Thumbnails
Gas Adapter.jpg  
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote